Missing SAH rocker cover

TedTaylor

I purchased an SAH rocker cover (painted blue in the photographs) from comparatively new Triumph 2000 Register Forum Member with user name 'miles' (or Jonathan Schaffer?) in Bedford who has the user name 'shannette2' on ebay where the cover was also listed before he removed it, and it was apparently sent to me 2 months ago ...... but I have not received it.

It was fitted to Triumph 2000 saloon MVE888H (mainly white) when I agreed to buy it and was due to be removed before this car was sold a week or so after my deal was completed.

'miles' is adamant that he has sent it and presumes it was lost in the post which I am chasing up as best I can but there is apparently no proof of postage.  I am posting this with his agreement.

Could members keep their eyes open in case it turns up on someone else's car or has similarly been misappropriated (incorrect delivery?).  By now it may have been repainted the correct (?) black.

Keep an eye open at the National and pass the word around please - any help would be much appreciated.  I will also be posting this request on the Register Forum and see if I can get something on the TR Register, TSSC or any other relevant Fora.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Ted

Sorry to hear the transaction hasn't worked out Ted.  I've had a couple of similar problems in the past and used the ebay resolution centre.  Because the seller was unable to provide proof of posting, I was issued with a full refund.

But, much better if such a rare item were to turn up, so best of luck.

Thanks Glenn

However the cover was not purchase on ebay though the guy listed it during the period we were sorting out the purchase which left me not a little annoyed.

There is one listed on ebay at the moment which I have checked out and it is definitely not the one I bought.  See the pics attached of the engine with cover in place and the car in which the engine was fitted to see what this particular cover looks like.  

Ted

cliftyhanger wrote:
Hmm, surely he can report it lost to the courier/rm and get the insurance? That should cover it, hopefully.
Saying that, no proof of postage sounds worrying

Apparently he just took it down to his local post office and sent it - not recorded/next day/Parcel Force etc.  I have asked for details of posting (date/time/post office) but says he is trying to find the receipt which seems to be rather slow in forthcoming.

At first I did not worry too much - Triumph enthusiast/Forum member etc. etc. - but now I am getting a little concerned about the whole thing.

Ted

I have had a few parcels go missing at the post office, only to discover that the posty had not left a calling card and the item was then left at the local post office, its worth driving to your nearest post offices and asking in person if you have not done so already.

Royal mail is no longer the great institution that it once was....... :'(

Indeed, quite a bit of the time they do get the mail mixed up and sent to the wrong address.

Whenever I send anything via ebay, I tend to either sand it via Paypal/RM, or get the receipt from a half decent Post Office for this very reason.

He does frequent another forum FWIW, and I was planning to pickup a part of two off him in the future...

Yes it was through the Register Forum that I bought them.  My problem is that this guy just does not bother to follow up on messages sent to him about non delivery - updated him weekly about the situation over the 2 months and no response and it was not until I told him I had someone calling round to collect the cover that he suddenly woke up ....... and he has now gone to sleep again.  His attitude after having had my money is that it my responsibility to make sure the goods are received at my end and can't be bothered to do anything else about it or even prove the goods were sent.

I have rung our local Delivery Office and they confirmed they have nothing.  Being a bit countryfied round here, and they having made a number of other recent deliveries to me, they knew who I was when I rang. And the local posties know us because of our dogs and the special cars in our parking area.

Another thing that puzzles me is that there should have been a return address on the parcel if it was accepted at the Post Office and after 2 months he should have had it back if it had not been delivered.

Ted

I ordered some bits from Chic Doig a few years ago after a couple of weeks they had not apeared I rang Chick about this and he sent a fresh package of same items this time by recorded delivery. About two months later the original package arrived with me.

I am trying to avoid any serious action at the moment although some aspects of what has happened including poor communication, various statements made by the seller, and method of postage, leave very much to be desired.  To be honest I would much prefer the cover to the money and don't want to rock the boat in the Triumph scene, but if all else fails ......... :-/

My hope is that the cover will turn up as GT6s says - badly delayed in the post.  Wish the seller had taken the trouble to send such an valuable rare item by a method that involved it being tracked.

What is annoying is that one is listed on ebay at this moment in time (it is not the one I bought) and if I had not put the money to pay for the one that is 'lost' I would have bid on this one.

Question for Swiss Tony:
When does the transfer of ownership happen when things are sent though the post.  At the moment the seller sends the goods from the post office/courier, or when received by the buyer?
I would always assume it is the latter which is why it is so important for the seller to send stuff in a way which has some form of tracking - in  part to prove it has been sent and in part to prove it has been received, with some insurance if there was non delivery.

Ted

Bit of info about Paypal. I have checked thel rules and although the goods were not bought off ebay it would appear that I could have started a dispute ......... if opened within 45 days of payment.

However because I was trying to be helpful co-operative and trusting it is something like 60 days so I can do nothing through Paypal.

I think he possibly has posted the item but his method was obviously hopelessly inappropriate for something costing the equivalent of £260 and special, and I am the one expected to lose out.

Ted

Hi Ted

I think the title of goods remains with the seller until full payment is received.  Once you have paid for it it's yours irrelevant if you have it in your possession or not.  Small claims court sounds like the only answer but then you must prove that it was never actually delivered!  On the other hand he would have to prove he posted it.

Difficult situation

Tim

some thing strange about that one, it no has the slant on the back,
never seen one like that before,

up to ove 170£ noo, suspect it will go for about 210,!!

not for me with just the chamfer at the front, just dont look reet at all

M

796 wrote:
Nearly 300£ with postage.

Quite cheap really for what they sell for - regularly over £300 and this one had a spare flip filler (albeit the original damaged) which puts a premium on the price.

I refused an offer of £350 for my original one, and on another occasion on refusing a similar £350 I was asked to name my price implying well over £400 would be acceptable.  Because the cover has some special sentimental attachment (have had it for over 20 years) I simply did not wish to sell.

Ted

i dont think a parcel needs to have a return address on for the PO to take it. i have never put one on, and have no trouble sending anything. he made a cock-up not selecting better postage though. also, i always get asked if the value of the parcel is over 40 quid (i think) if sending just regular first class. if he only used a regular postage service, as appears to be (first, second class or std parcels) he would have been asked the same question. and id have thought IF he owned up and said "yeah its worth 400 quid", they wouldnt have let him send it without a signature/insurance.

• 2 months later...

Thought people may like an update on this thread.

I have finally lost my patience with this guy - from Bedford (ebay shannette2).  After being fobbed off repeatedly with promises of keeping in touch made some months ago and looking for the (mythical) receipt to prove postage, and STILL not receiving the cover, I started the formal process of getting my money back a few weeks go.

Needless to say I have had no response to my final e-mails and recorded delivery letter (which have arrived and signed for) sent a couple of weeks ago so proceedings will be starting soon.

This guy is trying to sell some last remaining Triumph bits at the moment but is having problems selling them - wonder why!

Should this cover ever be seen I don't now want it ( (it was fitted to Triumph 2000 MVE 888H before it was sold and suspect that is where it still is) as I HOPE to have coming another two as the result of being honest with someone over the value after they were offered £30 to £40 by some con artists.   That is unless this one goes wrong as well ............... >:(

Is there anyone who lives near Caister please who can collect and do a 'Triumph Courier' jobbie?  I have had a kind offer already from a Forum Member when they visit the area soon but it may be easier if someone who lives nearby could be good enough to actually pick up from the address.

Ted

willows40 wrote:
ted
which caister do you mean? if caister on sea near gt yarmouth a mate of mine lives there and if you sort it out quick we are going to goodwood on thursday for the weekend

cheers andy

I am pretty sure it is that Caister so this would be brilliant  - if I can set it up.  After my problems with Jonathan and Richard Schaffer I am still not sure this will actually come off!

It so happens that my daughter, grandson and son-in-law who live in Chichester (almost just down the road from Goodwood) are going on Sunday after being given free tickets ........ lucky bu**ars.  Just had a word with her (they are down with us for the weekend) and they can collect from you and drop off to us later.  The only proviso will be that if it is really raining - not nice with a child on his 4th birthday in tow - they may have to give it a miss!

Unless someone from the Gloucestershire area is going and can pick up for me to collect from them?

Thanks

Ted

962 wrote:

Those last remaining bits are only fit for the rubbish dump!!!, Seen most of the parts awhile ago!!

I agree Pete, the front of the wing near the valance was shot and there was no pic of the wing bottom at the sill end, perhaps there was nothing to photograph!

Colin.