Wiring harness self made and enhance. Need plans

ernstmarkus

Hi!

I've heard a lot of Spitfire users enhanced the wiring harness for some extensions like electrical cooling ventilator or something else and made a harness by themselves.

Because the wiring harness at my Spitfire MK3 isn't good anymore I decided to make my own harness and enhance it with a few fuses more then the three origins.

Does anybody has a wiring plan and the used cable diameters?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Greetings
ErnstMarkus

Hi

I made my own harness from scratch for our Stag and intend to do the same for our GT6 when I get to that stage in the resto. It's a straight forward activity provided you can read a wiring diagram!

On the Stag I relocated the fusebox, relays and electronic ignition inside the car cabin. The original 12 position bakerlite fusebox was replaced with a 24 spade fuse type. All the cable routes were moved away from the engine exhaust manifolds etc to limit the heat exposure. Mark each wire with an individual ident at each end which makes fault finding so much easier at a later date. I also used modern relays and put relays in on the headlights etc to remove the load off the original switches.

On the GT6 I will be moving all the relays etc off the bulkhead ledge and putting them behind the parcel shelf to help keep the weather off them.

VWP sell almost everything you will require.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

Have fun

Bruce

Thanks for the help!

But one problem's still alive: All of the wiring schematics I've had a look are without any cable diameters.
Can anyone tell me the diameters or have a plan where it is drawn in?
And, please, don't give me the advice of goin' out and measure the cable diameter....

Thanks again!
ErnstMarkus

Hello Ernst,

if you look at the cable section of the Vehicle Wiring Products website, it lists cable sizes, their application and current rating. It can be of benefit to go a size up in cable for the headlights as it reduces voltage drop so improving light output.

Alec