Electronic ignition

mrchill

Which type of electronic ignition? Megajolt, Luminition, pertronix, Accuspark? Do a search there are loads of posts/threads on the subject. On the whole I think those that have fitted have not regretted it, though some have had reliability issues with some units.

P.S. When doing a search make sure you alter the time search from "30 days or newer" to "1 day or older" then you may capture a few more results.

Any electronic ignition system is infinately better than points.

People will claim that a correctly set up set of points works as well, they don't and unless someone has broken the laws of engineering and physics, they can't.

Currently got a Pertronix on the Vitesse, previously had Luminition on a Sprint. Fit and forget, utterly reliable.

Hello 69Vitesse,

no, electronic ignition is not infinitely better than points, particularly as it is often claimed that you can fit it to a worn out distributor and magically forget the wear. There are swings and roundabouts to either choice but it is not a major gain by any means.
Non distributor systems may have more benefits but that is a different story.

Alec

I beleive all things the same, electronic ignition is better.  Debate here is mostly personal like using silicone brake fluid.   Good/bad points (pun) on both sides.
Elctronic units can and do go bad.  If they quit then you must replace to make car run.  Some carry a extra in the car.
Points as we all know can and do quit.  Most times you can make the car run to get home.  Most also cary spare in the car.

Points and or electronic will not cure other problems.  Two of my Heralds have electronic and I will also install electronic in the Herald I am restoring.  

I've had a pertronix unit in my Vitesse for about 5 or 6 years or so with no issues, although I must say I was quite happy to continue with points and it would still have points now if it wasn't for the awful quality of replacement repro condensors and ignition parts in general- that's the reason I fitted it at the time. With a rotor arm from distributor doctor, I have never had an ignition related problems since fitting it.

I fitted my daughters Metro with a simon bbc unit, a cheapo version of the pertronix, again, that car would still be on points if it wasn't for the pain in the butt hassle of removing the bonnet slam panel and rad to gain access at service time! This unit has never given any bother either.

There is a complete Megajolt system removed from a GT6 on fleabay. NTDWM but thought someone may be interested, I would be but I have just bought a Microsquirt ecu and am going EFI eventually.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGAJOLT-IGNITION-SYSTEM-TRIUMPH-GT6-6-CYLINDER-FORD-/190691775709?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGT6&hash=item2c661d94dd#ht_500wt_1202

Bought my elec ign from a guy called simon bbc(http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sadis=200&_sasl=simonbbc&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_fss=1&_sacat=0&_samihi=&_fpos=&_oexkw=&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_sop=12&_nkw=&_okw=&_ipg=50&_saslop=1&_samilow=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_sabdhi=&_ftrv=1&_udlo=&_sabdlo=&_adv=1&_dmd=1&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&Make=Triumph&rt=nc) on the bay. Well worth the £20.  I put a red rotor arm on from the distributor doctor as well.  Simply essential, as the repro ones these days are just dreadful and will leave you stranded.