Mappable ignition

FloydP

Megajolt is still far better because the pick up is from the crank not through a chain - or else the mappable 123 unit as you'll get a better distributor unit avoiding nasty modern rotor arms etc

An mappable ignition upgrade really is worth every penny - but do it properly :)

I like the idea behind this and it does have some good things going for it.

It is almost plug and play and does allow any advance curve you want/need.  It's quite cheap and easy to install and, I would think, easy to set-up.  Saves the pain of modifying bob-weights/springs/endstops to get the right advance curve.

Downside is that it still incorporates any dizzy drive-chain irregularities and relies on rotor-arm and cap, although Distibutor Doctor and/or Rarebits ones are very good now.  And I can't see that exposed mini-USB socket lasting 5 minutes on a night rally around here even if it is inside the car.

I think we need James to buy one and do a back-to-back comparison test schedule against the Megajolt on his car.  He can then do a cost/performance analysis and give a qualified verdict.  It's all for the good of the club James, what do you reckon?  :)

Interesting looking gadget that and I can certainly see the attraction.  I'd agree with James' and Mikes comments though.  There is some scope for fun and games with cross-firing between cylinders (especially with 6 & 8 cyl cars) if you don't lock the advance in the right spot and get the distributor body positioned right, as it's all to easy to have the rotor arm pointing at different cylinders at difference advance figures!

I also think it's a bit dear in comparison to the mappable 123, which though costing another £ 50 or so, gives you a nice new dizzy with Bosch quality cap and rotor arm as well.  Don't suppose that box actually costs more than £20 to build......

Nick

• 1 month later...

Well, as nobody else has offered to be the test mule, I thought I'd better step up and buy one.  When it arrives I'll give it whirl and see what's what.

I'll try it with the 1300 engine first to make sure I know how to drive it, and then use it properly for the 1500/Mk3 cam/Mk4 head engine that's going to propel us effortlessly around Europe in September.

bobyspit wrote:
I did my Megajolt for less than 200 quid. Not worth it IMHO. Jolt all day long

Yes I know it's a close run thing in terms of cost, this cost me £180 (plus £5 p&p) from Aldon's ebay shop (thanks Floyd).  Agreed MJ is more flexible and has other advantages too, but there are other reasons for wanting to try this.  One of them is to swap it between the Spitfire and the Mini to see if we'd want to get one for that too (it's currently got an electronic Cooper Sport dizzy, whose curve won't match the MG Metro cam). Another is it's ability to be switched out and replaced by a bit of wire and removal of the dizzy bob-weight locks very quickly if need be. It's also very quick to install and setup, and just as easy to tune the maps.  I also like it's ability to switch immediately between 2 of your stored maps by just using an external switch - think about suddenly needing to run a more conservative map when you have just filled up with crap French petrol. How many take a laptop with them on the 10CR?

sparky_spit,
Megajolt also has the ability to change maps with the flick of a switch. I have just that feature programmed into my Spitfire. It is also useful to have a "safe" map to return to when tuning alone.
                                                                                     Cheers,
                                                                                     Paul

From Nick
I also think it's a bit dear in comparison to the mappable 123, which though costing another £ 50 or so, gives you a nice new dizzy with Bosch quality cap and rotor arm as well.  Don't suppose that box actually costs more than £20 to build......
Need someone to buy one and find out what's inside, then tell the rest of us how to make it!!!

stillnotfinnished wrote:
From Nick
Need someone to buy one and find out what's inside, then tell the rest of us how to make it!!!

If it comes apart easily enough, I could do that and sell 18 circuit diagrams/parts lists for a tenner each  ;)

However, I suspect it will be like a Lumenition unit, resin potted.

Nick_Jones wrote:
Here's another one I've just come across

http://www.nodiz.co.uk/

Seems to be Megajolt that doesn't need the EDIS box......

Nick

I've seen those and to be honest if I was not already Jolted would give one a go.
More definition for your maps (maybe overkill)
and link to your mobile phone or tablet to see whats going on............................. yeah yeah I know!!!  It's not really needed  ;) :P ;D