Clutch biting point

mazfg

As per my previosu post...I've just re-fitted my gearbox. I've just been out to test drive after refitting and noticed that the biting point of the clutch seems very high. I've just installed a new slave cylinder (7/8" bore) and the master is onyl a year old and in good condition. I also had a new clutch fitted last year.
I haven't driven the car since September and only really noticed it in comparison to my daily run about. I can't see the clutch is worn as only done a few 100 since it was fitted  and high biting point is usually that sign?

Have heard a few times that I high biting point can mean wear.

My clutch used to have a very low bite point and was crunching getting reverse sometimes. I moved the S/C forward 5mm or so with spacers and this gave a higher bite point and cured crunching.

More recently I fitted a new M/C as seal kits didn't last long. I got a Landy one, as only £10 inc postage. Fits straight on, though is slightly bigger volume. Clutch needs bit more pressure and raised the biting point to now quite high.

Just a few points, though maybe not relevant to yours.

Dave  

it's normally the other way round that a low pedal bite point indicates a worn clutch.as the clutch wears the diaphragm spring fingers protrude out more so the release bearing has to travel slightly further to operate the clutch,(although in reality the clutch still disengages at the same rate we feel it as the spring has further to travel over centre)we are only talking millimetres but it is felt much more at the pedal due to the fluid transfer ratio from m/cylinder to s/cyl.

Quoted from esxefi
it's normally the other way round that a low pedal bite point indicates a worn clutch.as the clutch wears the diaphragm spring fingers protrude out more so the release bearing has to travel slightly further to operate the clutch,(although in reality the clutch still disengages at the same rate we feel it as the spring has further to travel over centre)we are only talking millimetres but it is felt much more at the pedal due to the fluid transfer ratio from m/cylinder to s/cyl.

Usually high point is a worn clutch.
Mine uses the earlier spring type clutch arrangement

Hiya
A worn driven plate will make the fingers of the d/spring move  upwards towards the gearbox, a worn fulcrum on the cast iron pressure plate sends them the other way, believe me I measure them every day
!00 miles me thinks it cannot be worn.I would check that the thrust bearing has little pressure on the fingers in its released condition ensuring the master cylinder is returned condition to its
Regs
Dave

A diaphragm   clutch has a thinner disc than a coil cover , that  would give a high worn effect bite
If you have a coil cover and diaphragm disc .

you need to nip the linings in a  vice  and measure its thickness   the data is normally in the wsm under testing and setting  using a metal packer to simulate the disc or innthe main specs for the clutch,  sorry mine not accessible just now.

the thin throw out bearings 15mm instead of 19mm is vitesse gt6 6cly.   Not 4 cyl.

pete

6cyl  coil cover disc should be 0.33" (8.38mm)  as new    nipped in a vice to just compress the wavy plates within the linings

diaphragm disc  is 0.29"  ( 7.36mm)

so if you have a thin disc and thin bearing the geometry of the levers and fingers will be way out

Pete