Engine rear oil seal - quick in and out?

sparky_spit

Whilst underneath the 1500 Spit the other day I noticed a small drop of oil under the bellhousing drip hole. I wiped it away and noticed the hole was blocked. I poked it with a screwdriver and it looked as though some putty had been put in there by the PO. I unblocked it and about 75 to 100 ml of oil came out! There must have been one and a half inches worth in the bellhousing! I caught some of it and it definitely had some black in it, so I guess it's the engine rear seal. It was quite thick also, so maybe some gear oil too? or maybe it's just that it was cold?

This explains why the clutch has started grabbing, even though I know the PO put a new clutch in about 14 months ago. He's an idiot - I wish he'd just told me about the leak rather than blocking up the drip hole! I'm now going to do a quick in/out job, whip the box off; clutch/flywheel off, backplate and seal carrier. Change the seal and clutch friction plate and then whip it back together.

Question is... looking at the diagrams there appears to be no seal on the gearbox input shaft - is that correct? Does it normally leak from there? If there is a seal, can it be replaced from the front without taking the box apart?

Is there anything else I need to look for on the crank oil seal surface, like taking off the shiny ring where the seal lip touches with wet & dry? Or leave it? This is a quick in/out job, so I don't want to do any more dismantling than necessary.

Cheers.

Hiya ,correct no oil seal between gear box and bell housing only a paper gasket. Then bolted on with 4 boltsOne being a `plug `for the gear box oil and with a squdgy copper washer.This can be the source of leak if that bolt/copper washer is failing. There is a rubber seal that goes in the bell hsg from the engine side. There is no seal against the main shaft roller bearing. Id plump for that coppper washer/bolt. Unless there is a fail in the rear crankshaft seal. Bell hg and gear box out .....crankshaft oilseal can be done int car  

As it's a Triumph, it'll be a blend of both  :P

Try running for a while with that hole unblocked as you are absolutely bound to get some oil past that scroll seal in any case and the oil you describe may just be an accumulation of "normal" leakage.

Nick

The engine/box complete is definitely coming out; when I said quick in/out that's exactly what I meant... it's coming out, I'm fixing it while it's hanging on the crane, and then it's going back in. The crane I use makes this very quick and easy.

It is engine oil, I can smell it and it compares in smell to the oil on the dipstick. It's just that it's thicker. Now this could be because it's cold, or it could be because there's gear oil mixed in there too, hence the question about the gearbox input shaft seal.

The drip hole is now clear and it only drips a bit, so normally I'd leave it. But, because it has had 12 months of "drips" building up in the bellhousing the clutch now judders so therefore it's contaminated. So, as I have to change that I might as well change the rear crank seal while I have the box off.

It's a single rail box with J type overdrive. Difficult to know how old it is as the PO had Clive Manvers fit a recon box and overdrive about 8 years ago. I think it best to get a new seal anyway on the basis that it's almost certainly not a scroll type and they are cheap enough to waste if it does turn out to be a scroll type, or even that the box isn't leaking anyway and it's just the crank seal.

Once I've split the box from the engine, can I get at the seal by just taking the bellhousing off the box? I really don't want to dismantle the box itself just to change the seal. The Haynes manual does not really help here.

Archived