Spitfire oil light/pressure!

DazBock

Hi all

Took the spitfire out for a drive today (1975 - 1500). Now admittedly I drove it quite hard by it went well. Until the last few minutes. Then when I put my foot down on the clutch for more than a few seconds the oil light flickered on, stayed on for a few seconds then flickered off when I pressed accelerator.

I checked and the oil level is fine with no leaks. So my question is where does the problem lie and how do I diagnose it?

Thanks Darren

Good question. However you will need to tell us more..... If you sit at idle when the car is warm does it come on???No, then take it along the motorway at 70mph for 30 mins and then pull off and as soon as your off the motorway come to a stop with the car idling and see if it comes on then. Do this then get back to us.

Chris.

DazBock,
The long motorway run gets the oil as hot as possible and therefore as thin as it gets. Idling with hot oil is the most likely way to find low oil pressure. Was your car idling when you depressed the clutch, and got the oil pressure warning? If you have an especially low idle and pushing the clutch lowers it a bit more it could lower the engine speed to the point that the oil pump doesn't pump a high enough pressure to keep the light out. That is very low oil pressure if your car has the standard switch.
                                                                              Good luck,
                                                                              Paul

Could be a number of things but best to eliminate the simple easy ones first. Wrong preasure switch is easy but i think he would have said, it could just have a worn spring. Do the tests and then we will give you more advise after that. By the way are there any knocking noises under any conditions??? Also what oil do you use and how often do you change the oil and filter???

Chris.

Until you fit an oil gauge and can see what's actually happening and when you'll be peeing in the dark. They're quick and easy to fit so if you don't want one in your dash you can plumb one in after a run and test the pressure on your drive at home. It'll always come in handy in the future.

Car was almost at idle when light came on as stopping at junction and had been driving for quite some time. I have a t piece and an oil pressure gauge so I plan on attaching this to test.

Only had the car since October and I did the oil straight away with oil filter. Using proper mineral oil not the silly synthetic nonsense.

Engine was rebuilt at some point but not by me. Car idles at around 900-1100 rpm and does not drop significantly when clutch pressed.

Don't know if any of this helps. I will get car out on a long run soon but weather too bad today. Im also doing distributor and all plugs and leads this week and the front suspension as per my other threads.

I would get some one else to press the clutch while you look at the front pulley on the crank and see if it moves. As putting the clutch in shouldn't effect the idle unless its worn. If there is movement then you need a new thrust washer. Let us know what brand and viscosity of oil you use as some are better than others with worn engines.

Chris.

2866 wrote:
Can't remember brand but it is 20w50 mineral oil and has been in car for about 200 miles.

As long as it's not unbranded no-spec stuff, that should be OK.
Putting your foot on the clutch will change the loadings on the crank, so it is possible that the switch is operating just at it's  tipping point.

Check for signe of excessive crankshaft endfloat as described above, but if that's OK and there are no untoward noises, try a replacement switch as they are prone to this mode of failure,

Cheers,
Bill.

Halfords is ok but, your better off with Valvoline VR1 or Penrite. I personally use Penrite 20/60 as recommended by chic doig for use in engines that perform harder than just regular use. Its also good for the motorways when you dont have an oil cooler as it stays thicker.

Chris.

Only bit i can add is mine had a problem where the oil light came on at low revs with new oil, i fitted a pressure gauge to double check and it was always ok apart from after a long run then brought to a halt, turns out my low pressure had some notches in it somehow, the spring was ok so just filed smooth and re-fitted, been ok for last 10k so nice easy free fix.

rich

• 2 weeks later...

I have tonight fitted an oil pressure gauge rather elegantly I think! Which I am going to use to monitor the pressure for a few drives before removing. It currently reads 75psi at cold idle and drops to around 25psi at hot idle so I don't think I have a problem. Perhaps light was a lose earth or something! Driving 80 miles round trip on Sunday which should highlight any issues.

Here is my work, anyone spot my rather stupid mistake?!

2866 wrote:
Sorry what exactly had notches in? That sounds like the same problem Im having. Plan is to fit a pressure gauge and go from there.

if you undo the pressure relief bolt and take it out, behind it is a spring and a plunger type thing, looks a bit like a valve, it was the stem of this that had notches in on mine, quick few mins with a metal file and been ok since.

On mine my pressure is about 75-80 when cold and 40-42 when driving along with a hot engine, hot engine tickover is about 20ish.

rich

Archived