Fitting an MGB type combined oil/water gauge

TR7th Heaven

Hi Folks,
I'd like to add an oil pressure gauge to my Vitesse. However, I don't really want to cut another hole or have too many gauges so I thought that replacing the existing temperature gauge with a Smiths combined oil pressure and water temperature gauge might be a good idea.

Has anyone done this?
The size (52mm) is perfect and hooking up the oil pressure gauge is no problem (I've got an adaptor already to allow both the oil pressure light and gauge to work together). However, the MGB type water temp sensor is the capilliary type, not just a simple electrical wire that I could attach to the existing temp sensor.

Is it just a question of unscrewing the existing temp sensor and screwing the capilliary one in its place?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Cheers,
Rich  ;)

A popular mod, done by more than a few!  Not the cheapest option perhaps, but all you will have to look out for is a hole in the bulkhead big enough to push the sender through and an adaptor if the thread on the sender does not match the one on your waterpump housing.

Myself, I would consider fitting an oil pressure gauge on a period mount hanging under the dash.   :)

That's a fair point mikeyb. In fact, I've already got a working Smiths oil pressure gauge in useable condition amongst my spares. Trouble is, as you can see from the photo below, I don't want to over-do it with gauges.

I'm happy with the layout as it is. Standard gauges plus an ammeter and a nice period clock (both in the aluminium radio panel).
I was hoping I might be able to pick up a good second-hand combined oil/water gauge because you're right, they're not cheap new. There must be thousands of second-hand ones around. They were standard MGB fitment.
Rich  ;)

TR7th_Heaven wrote:
Is it just a question of unscrewing the existing temp sensor and screwing the capilliary one in its place?

Yes... but I needed a little adaptor piece on my 13/60 engine. It came with the gauge. I don't know if your Vitesse needs one but bear it in mind if you're buying second hand.

It's a pricey accessory but it's really nice, plus I like being able to see how warm the engine is before I've even put the key in the ignition.

Yes, had this on my PI with no problems until the water temp part lost pressure and ceased working ....... a VERY rare occurence, less chance even than and electrical sender unit or gauge packing up!

This type of water temp gauge is actually considered by many to be more accurate than an electrical one.

Ted

Zendervision wrote:

Yes... but I needed a little adaptor piece on my 13/60 engine. It came with the gauge. I don't know if your Vitesse needs one but bear it in mind if you're buying second hand.
Right! You will need an adapter. The original hole for the electrical gauge sender is just that: a threaded hole. It does not have the "seat" needed for the capillary tube bulb. That's what the adapter does. It's the same one used on the MG Midget 1500.

For example, from Moss:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=7774#10

Rich, are those photos of your gauge, or off the net? If you're still shopping, then I'd recommend buying a gauge with degrees, rather than just cold to normal to hot. With one of those you can see if the thermostat is opening when it should, and what temperatures a fan switch is triggered. It also give an idea of the heatsoak from the head once the engine's shut down - mine will rise from an operating temperature of say 75C to 95 or 100 after a few minutes switched off. Start it again and the hot water's pumped away, and the needle falls to where it should be. Fun for small minds  ;)

Got one of these on my Vitesse.  Had some difficulty fitting the temperature sensing bulb as my gauge was a "rescue" from an MGB so didn't get any installation parts with it.  You do need an adaptor as the Triumph sender housing has no shoulder for the shoulder on the buld to sit against.  Mine has a fairly random assortment of plumbing bits.

The other issue I encountered was that the gauge is designed for installation into a thin panel and the Vitesse dash is quite thick.  This means that the external light bulbs don't line up with the slots in the gauge body and it's not well lit at night.

Other than that it's excellent - I dunked it in a saucepan with a thermometer before fitting which confirmed its calibration - makes it a bit scary to see 110ºC on it when climbing Alps...... never boiled over though.

Nick

I got through 2 in my GT6. Wouldn't bother again. The temperature sender is filled with ether and the solder joint at the sender doesn't like vibration/undue load placed on it, any cracks and it a history. Passing the coil bound tube through the heaterbox/bulkhead/air inlet was a right-royal pain the ar#e.
It also looked very aftermarket under the bonnet(in my mind), no matter how neatly I tried to route it.
Added to that, I didn't realise there were so many variations in the display style: if you've got Jaeger gauges, the Smiths style may look incongreous?
I prefer the additional gauge under the dash look. Cheap as chips to route through the myriad of old gauges at Stoneleigh in a few weeks :).

herald948 wrote:
Speedy cables has new Smiths combination gauges with full scales on both oil pressure and water temp:

Oil Pressure/Water Temp Dual Gauge
0-100PSI / 40-110C
GD1301-64C078C
£ 89.94

Doesn't seem too bad a price for the proverbial peace of mind.

http://www.speedycables.com/page15.html

They will also repair/recon old capillary type gauges for £45 plus VAT and carriage which is the cheapest I have found unless someone knows anyone cheaper.  

Ted

Archived