vraksianrebel

So new car new problems.
Over Christmas I picked up a new dolomite 1850hl, the car is great the bodywork etc is really solid and everything seems to be in rather good working order, sadly the engine is massively down on power to the point that pulling away is actually hard work and far more likely for the car to stall than actually start to move.
If I pull the choke out a bit it sorts out most of the issue, it's not perfect but at least she's drivable. The carbs have been hard mounted with some solid steel tubes rather than the rubber shock absorbing mounts and I think they might be leaking and letting in air, I have ordered some replacements from rimmers and they assured me I only need 2 gaskets per car, is this right? If so which side of the rubber mount gets the gasket ?

And is there any other suggestions for things to check to sort this lack of power out?
I've replaced and gapped the points, New condensor, New coil, New leads and plugs. And I'm running it on shell super. Oh and the timing is spot on now as well.
One other thing is the temp gauge never goes above the first marker 1/4 I know it has a thermostat and I think

I maybe wrong but IIRC the gaskets go between the rubber mount and the manifold.  Have you checked the rotor arm and the cap?  This would produce more of a miss rather than low power so presumably it isn't misfiring?  Those mounts are probably the culprits as the carburettors are probably taking in too much air.  There is no need to use Super unleaded.

Mark

1218 wrote:
I maybe wrong but IIRC the gaskets go between the rubber mount and the manifold.  Have you checked the rotor arm and the cap?  This would produce more of a miss rather than low power so presumably it isn't misfiring?  Those mounts are probably the culprits as the carburettors are probably taking in too much air.  There is no need to use Super unleaded.

Mark

Is the 1850 happy on 95 unleaded, Mark - I know that the handbook for the 1300 Dolomite specifies 97RON.....

Awesome well the second set of gaskets have arrived today so I'm going to try and fit the new rubber mounts tonight and see if that sorts the problems. If it doesn't then I will have to try adjusting the jets to enrichen the mixture but that might wait until this weekend as I don't really know what I'm doing without the correct tools which I can borrow on saturday