R9 (or R14) fuel hose suppliers?

Ben Hutchings

I’m looking for a supplier of sensibly priced fuel hose to SAE J30 R9 or R14 spec in 5/16” and 1/4” I.D.

Ideally I’d like Gates Barricade (R14’ish) but annoyingly Moss seem to be the only supplier and they’ve been out of stock of 5/16” for a few weeks now.

I’m pretty sure we don’t need to be paying £20+ a meter for the stuff like some places are trying to charge since the E10 ‘panic’.

What are y’all fitting and from where these days? 

Ben,

Cohline 2240.  Merlin Motorsport or Glencoe Ltd

https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/cohline-2240-r9-specification-rubber-fuel-injection-hose-8mm-push-on-e85-compatible-2267/

Not especially cheap, but cheaper than burning your car down, or even loosing half a tank of fuel.

Avoid AFS in Kent or ebay.  Just because it says R9 on the hose, doesn't mean it is.  Guess how I know that......

Nick

Edited by Nick Jones

8 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Avoid AFS in Kent or ebay.  Just because it says R9 on the hose, doesn't mean it is.  Guess how I know that......

Wot Nick said, but I went for Gates Barricade (again not cheap, but has so far outlasted so called "R9" by a factor of about 10 and still going strong)

When I needed some I bought a small reel from Amazon.co.uk, paid a fortune AND paid the import taxes etc. but happy to have it in stock. I only have 1/4". 

Edited by yorkshire_spam

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Ben,

Cohline 2240.  Merlin Motorsport or Glencoe Ltd

https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/cohline-2240-r9-specification-rubber-fuel-injection-hose-8mm-push-on-e85-compatible-2267/

Not especially cheap, but cheaper than burning your car down, or even loosing half a tank of fuel.

Nick

Not even sure that any of the Cohline stuff is real.

Metric barricade is easy enough to get, but imperial less so.

2 hours ago, Ben Hutchings said:

I’m looking for a supplier of sensibly priced fuel hose to SAE J30 R9 or R14 spec in 5/16” and 1/4” I.D.

Ideally I’d like Gates Barricade (R14’ish) but annoyingly Moss seem to be the only supplier and they’ve been out of stock of 5/16” for a few weeks now.

I’m pretty sure we don’t need to be paying £20+ a meter for the stuff like some places are trying to charge since the E10 ‘panic’.

What are y’all fitting and from where these days? 

I bought some 5/16 from moss last week to take with me on RBRR.

19 minutes ago, roger keys said:

Not even sure that any of the Cohline stuff is real.

Well the stuff I got from Merlin (on Vitesse) is 4 years old now and still good.  The Glencoe stuff (GT6) is maybe 2.5 years old and still good. So I'm content that it's either genuine or at least fit for purpose.

By comparison various lots of "R9" purchased either from AFS direct on via ebay has all fallen apart externally within 9 months.  Actually old and well used R6 salvaged with used FI components did better.

Nick

1 minute ago, Nick Jones said:

Well the stuff I got from Merlin (on Vitesse) is 4 years old now and still good.  The Glencoe stuff (GT6) is maybe 2.5 years old and still good. So I'm content that it's either genuine or at least fit for purpose.

By comparison various lots of "R9" purchased either from AFS direct on via ebay has all fallen apart externally within 9 months.  Actually old and well used R6 salvaged with used FI components did better.

Nick

There is no doubt the AFS stuff is fake, but having bought cohline elsewhere, it suffered the same fate. When i was running the workshop i resorted to importing it (gates) myself from the USA

I think the fake stuff is so embedded in the supply chain no one knows what real or fake.

Lets hope fakesters dont decide to print "gates" on it instead!

I did wonder about the Cohline stuff having heard reports of fakes, but then as @roger keys infers, it’s not hard to print anything on anything if scammers want to.

Given that everyone and their wife wants “R9” now I did wonder if Barricade would be safer from faking because it says R14 (ideal for carbs, same as R9 but not for injection pressure). But alas it seems Gates Barricade supply has dried up here (I think you bought Moss’s last meter Roger 😂) and a roll from Amazon / eBay is £££! @Tim Bancroft it looks like the CBS Gates stuff is R6 to me.

Codan hose seems to be another good (R9) option if a supplier can be found. I’m going to persist a little longer searching for Barricade and if not go with 2240 from Glencoe @Nick Jones .

Thank you! 

On 06/10/2021 at 07:01, Tim Bancroft said:

Does not specifically state E10 resistant within the product info.?

Hi Tim, the Gates stuff I have is Gates PN 27313, which is product code 42194176

Under features:

MULTI-FUEL COMPATIBLE

Barricade® Fuel Injection Hose provides a versatile solution in OE-quality, aftermarket fuel hose. The Barricade® Fuel Injection Hose is approved for use with: unleaded gasoline, diesel, biodiesel (up to B100 [SME, PME, RME], max temp +100°C; +212°F), methanol, ethanol (E10, E15, E85), and gasohol fuels.

See: https://www.gates.com/us/en/search.p.4219-000000-000004.v.4219-04176.html

So I can't vouch for Car Builder Solutions, but pretty sure mine is E10 ok.

Cheers, Sam

I've tried loads over the years and anything near the engine cracks on the outside for me. Eventually it starts to smell...  I had to change some at the start of the 2018 RBRR when I noticed some was cracking. It was fine days before.

I'm going hard nylon now. 

Hard nylon or Teflon aerquip will be safe but remember, it is not compressible - no matter what clamp you put on it! So you need the correct and expensive fitings 🤔

Everything on my Vitesse was Teflon aeroquip when I got it, except the tank to pump low pressure pipe (it's PI), and that's rotted out!

J

1 hour ago, ferny said:

I've tried loads over the years and anything near the engine cracks on the outside for me. Eventually it starts to smell...  I had to change some at the start of the 2018 RBRR when I noticed some was cracking. It was fine days before.

I'm going hard nylon now. 

If it smells, but no leak, its not R9/14.

That is a characteristic of R6, which was the standard fuel hose for years, decades even. Which is what i suspect the fake stuff actually is. With more modern fuels, the vapours can permeate the rubber. Thats why so many old cars smell of petrol. It comes through the hose.

I found an air con sniffer to be the perfect device for finding said vapour leaks. 

12 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

pretty sure mine is E10

Yes the Gates sites aren’t very clear and different regions show different info, but 27313 is SAE J30 R14 just without the kink test of the true R14 test (not something that worries me).

Importantly it meets the low permeation spec for R9/R14 so it’s hundreds of times less permeable than what most of us have been using for years, and smelling fuely like @roger keys says.

Geeking out here but from what I can tell R14 is also subjected to a longer term test than R9, with measurements taken 21 days after use, and with stale fuel after a 28 day “pre-soak”, and has to pass the same permeation tests. Somewhere I saw this refereed to as a ‘classic’ spec hose where stuff is likely to sit longer with fuel in it 🤓

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roger keys said:

You can. Except its all metric.

The stuff on my 13/60 must be metric as I bought it over the counter at a local car spares place. I took the old pipe and fittings and the guy cut the equivalent size. no leaks, smells or degradation after 6 years now. Invoice says Gates 3225, multi carburant, 6mm.

6mm hose will be a bit tight on 1/4" pipe but will work (probably even without clips!) if you can get it on without digging slivers out of it.

8mm hose will be a tiny fraction loose on 5/16" pipe but hose clips should take that up.

However, metric pipe and/or olives will not work on imperial fittings such as the fuel pump inlet.

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

However, metric pipe and/or olives will not work on imperial fittings such as the fuel pump inlet.

All the pipe from when it gets to the engine bay, to filter, between filter & pump and pump to carb is all the same 6mm on my 13/60

• 2 weeks later...