Clutch master cap ..

WIMPUS

Hi!

Yesterday morning i found some dot 4 fluid on the bulkhead (i thought it was the clutch master that was leaking .. ).
Investigate it and found out it was getting out of under the cap..

Today it was again..
The seal is still in good order, screw the cap on tight, when it's nearly tight it just turn over and it's back a bit loose  :-/

So guess the threads are gone..
Is this a problem with the alu caps?  :)

Going to order me a new cap & seal ..

Wim,
Don't fill the cylinder right to the top. Leave about 3/8" (10mm in your language )  clear space at the top. Fliud moves up and down a bit and expands with the heat. There is a small bleed hole in the cap to stop a vacuum forming.
Hope this makes sense.
Tony.

nang wrote:
Wim,
Don't fill the cylinder right to the top. Leave about 3/8" (10mm in your language )  clear space at the top. Fliud moves up and down a bit and expands with the heat. There is a small bleed hole in the cap to stop a vacuum forming.
Hope this makes sense.
Tony.

Fluid is around 8-10mm under the top, so ..  :-/
You feel the cap grabbing when you screw it on and then suddenly it's loose again  :o

Agree, had mishaps with the copy aftermarket (cheaper) alloy caps in the past, flimsy and very easily bend the threads at the thought of overtightening.....  a genuine OEM Girling alloy cap required, much stronger and work but they are fairly expensive, plastic caps are about £10 and will be just as good as the OEM alloy caps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIRLING-CLUTCH-BRAKE-FLUID-RESEROIR-TANK-CAP-TOP-NEW-/140925866551?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20cfd61237

A few wraps of PTFE tape around it will stop leaks, as a temporary fix. Don’t over tighten the replacement, they’re only alloy threads - check them and see if there’s any dirt or corrosion that may prevent the new cap sealing. Copper grease helps prevent it sticking.

490 wrote:
A few wraps of PTFE tape around it will stop leaks, as a temporary fix. Don’t over tighten the replacement, they’re only alloy threads - check them and see if there’s any dirt or corrosion that may prevent the new cap sealing. Copper grease helps prevent it sticking.

I've seen that the threads on the master always rust a bit, and then the cap wouldn't go off easy .. (think it's because the master is metal and the cap alloy).

Well friday i got a new alloy cap (i had it bought just before Shaun said he was going to look for a plastic one this weekend  :B )
When i looked at the old and the new i could see the difference..
On the old the threads where gone !

The new ones seals much better .
But already had some paint damage around the clutch master  :B  :-/

So last evening took the bracket off and sanded everything to metal, sprayed some zink on it and paint it black (like the rollings stones song  ::)  ;D ).

Painted the bracket also and put it all together this morning with some shiny new bolts  :P
I only have seen that the hole on my pedal itself (where the pin goes in) is a bit worn..
So will look out for another pedal or otherwise weld it up  :).

Hi Wimpy:
Keeping nice paint underneath the master cylinders will be something that you'll be trying to do as long as you own the car.
The worn hole in the clutch pedal is also typical, but only needs to be done every 15 years or so.  It can be welded up, then drilled out again.

rotoflex wrote:
Hi Wimpy:
Keeping nice paint underneath the master cylinders will be something that you'll be trying to do as long as you own the car.
The worn hole in the clutch pedal is also typical, but only needs to be done every 15 years or so.  It can be welded up, then drilled out again.

Yeah i know !
That's why i kept it black and not body color , so i could repaint is easy  :P
And i was also thinking of welding it up and drill it out ..
(My neighbour has a problem with his front suspension bolts, the holes in the bottom wishbones are so worn out that he can't put a socket on the bolts/nuts from the shock and trunnion!
The garage was going to weld them up for him also  :) )

Had that problem on mine, had to cut through the trunnions and bolt, went through 7 saw blades on the two sides dont know why the steel tube eats blade teeth. was thinking about using a stout washer (similar thickness to the d washer in the hub) to re centralise the hole.

rotoflex wrote:
Hi Wimpy:

I learnt this last year. :-( I cleaned all the rust off, and spent 2 weeks spraying and clear coating teh bulk head. Looked lovely and matched the body colour. A few weeks later the brake master cycling seal went.....and so did my lovely paint job! :-( I am thinking of just paint it with black underseal and be done with it!  :X

Underseal sometimes traps stuff under it that corrodes the metal.

I think that the best way for someone who always uses the car is to just have a can of body color (or close) in a can to put on with a paintbrush.  Every now & then you can wire wheel the bubble area, then brush on the paint.  That area won't look perfect, but it will be "traditional" !