Clutch and Brake Pedal Brackets - differences

Bainzy

Are the brackets that bolt underneath the bulkhead, to hold the clutch and brake pedals in place, identical other than the brake light switch attachment?

I was thinking about putting a clutch switch into the car to tell the ECU when the clutch is depressed and it'd be nice if I could just track down a brake pedal bracket and use that.

I think they're the same. I fitted a brake bracket for my clutch so that I can fit cruise control somewhere down the track. I've driven one manual car with after-market cruise control which didn't have a cut-out switch for the clutch, and the engine nearly grenaded when I pushed the clutch pedal. Lesson learned.

I fitted an hydraulic brake light switch into the hydraulic line for the clutch in my VW Transporter (Bluebird engine with hydraulic clutch) for the same reason Nick, but decided not to fit the cruise control as I was worried what may happen if I went to sleep with it set on the open road.

junkuser wrote:
I fitted an hydraulic brake light switch into the hydraulic line for the clutch in my VW Transporter (Bluebird engine with hydraulic clutch) for the same reason Nick, but decided not to fit the cruise control as I was worried what may happen if I went to sleep with it set on the open road.

junkuser,
Cruise control or none, falling asleep at the wheel is asking for disaster. PULL OVER!
                                                                          Paul

Agree Paul, but people do fall asleep whilst driving so figured it was a possibility.
Just being cautious.

Did fit a cruise control to one car I used for long trips because it had a very uncomfortable position for your right (accelerator) foot. Was nice to be able to move about a bit.
Never used the cruise control at night or when tired.

JohnD:  In the US, people nodding off after setting the cruise control has been a not uncommon occurrence & considered something of a hazard since their more widespread installation in the 1970s.  

I think now that cruise control is in almost all cars in the US now, falling asleep at the wheel is not so much referenced to cruise control use, but it's likely to still be a contributor.

I was going to the same place as a mate once and caught him up on the M3 so sat behind him for a bit. I couldn't figure out why he wasn't indicating or pulling off at the junction we both needed so when I joined the exit I accelerated to see what he was up to and wave but he never acknowledged me. About 30 minute after getting to where we were going he pulled up and I asked him what had happened. He'd set the cruise control and nodded off.

It wasn't the cruise control which caused it, it was the driver. I still don't like them though as I also feel like the car isn't under my control. I hardly use my brakes on the motorway and use the throttle to slow down (this also means the car stops using fuel and when I was doing 1000 miles a week it added up) and cruise control takes that away. Speed limiters on the other hand, are brilliant.

^ agreed, it's like sitting in a WWI biplane taking one on the M1!

Cruise control, now that's an idea. I do quite a lot of motorway driving in mine so it might be worth investigating. Should in theory be really easy to do with the Megasquirt if they wrote a code for it, though the developers are really reluctant to do anything road car related unless it's idiot proof.

What system did you have in mind Nick?

Don't entirely agree with speed limiters.
We have a fleet of Transit minibuses limited to around 100 k. Good for not getting speeding tickets but a bloody pain if you want to pass a slow vehicle doing about 80 k. I like to pass as quickly as possible and get back to  the left asap. Doesn't happen with a speed limiter.
Tony.

I agree. I wasn't talking of those though. Over here more cars are being fitted with a limiter which the driver controls - it's built in with the cruise control. There are so many average speed cameras and road works around here that the limiter is a God send. In a 50mph section set it to 57mph and then concentrate on not getting hit by everyone else wobbling from narrow lane to narrow lane as they're constantly staring at their speedo.