Spitfire Suspension opinions

Baldry1500

Hi All, 

So I'm looking to update shocks (all round) and front springs. 

Currently running standard shocks and was considering what to replace with. 

Who runs what? and has anybody run switched between and can advise of differences? (beyond prices). 

Also I've never adjusted shocks before any tips on how to get "right"?

Ta in advance

James

On the Spitfire I just run the best branded quality non-adjustables I can source when/if I need them and shortened stiffer front springs. 

On the Dolomite I'm running ride adjustable but not height (I've tweaked the ride with spring choice), all I can offer is.... when putting ride adjustable shocks on a road car, set to the SOFTEST setting and then back 1 adjustment and road test thoroughly! 🙂 My limited experience suggests that ride adjustable can be a bit hard for road use except at the soft end of the adjustment scale. (Unless you enjoy a shattered spine at every pothole) 

• Thanks 1

On Fox i've got front lower springs from Rimmers.

Now Koni's up front and Spax at the rear (front spax ones failed in less then 1 year)

Also the spax front ones (non adjusteble in height), there spring plate was lower then original.. 

So made the front very low.

With koni's the spring plate was good of height.

But last year made a 5mm spacer to fit on top.

And now it looks right of height.

And dont knock on stuff 😄

Koni's where bought from germany as there they cost a lot less.

They are on setting no. 1 of damping (as Nick Jones said to do)

Everybody is amazed how mine drives suspension wise etc.

Not to soft, not to hard.

If you want more info, give a shout 😉

Edited by WIMPUS
  • Thanks 1

I have adjustables on the back of the GT6 and they need to be on their softest setting or preferably even softer than that. So I just fit non-adjustables these days. The Spitfire has ordinary black ones (possibly Monroe) and they seem fine. The Vitesse has whatever TRGB sold as "standard" and again I have no complaints. But then I'm getting on in years and don't enjoy having my bones shaken about.

• Thanks 1

My spec on our spitfire is almost identical to Tims above. My Konis are 25 years old, still working perfectly. Ride is firm, but my wife does not say it is uncomfortable and likes the way the car rides. (possibly less so when we did Border Raiders a few years ago, the roads were barbaric, we are entering this year so may need to tweak something first)

• Thanks 1

Koni are considered the best. I have adjustable Gaz on mine. I went Gaz for the price and have nothing negative to report.

The standard stuff is fine for normal use. For spirited driving I'd not recommend them. I did three laps of Goodwood on 6 month old standard black shocks and the n/s/f (the one getting tested the most) started to leak badly.

Edited by ferny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do the front Herald 13/60 coil springs get weaker with age? 

I need to replace the shock absorbers  on mine because they look terrible from leakage. In doing so I have ordered new springs. It seems though that original springs are no longar avaialbe and the type which is , is for a Spitfire. A spitfire weighs much less than a Herald. Whilst waiting for them to arrive I have used the opportunity to not only clean up the suspension and paint it, but also the old springs . I think I may end up resuing them as they measure the correct amount i.e. 317 mm.  Is this normal practice and are the standard Spitfire ones acceptable?

Springs do weaken with age but they can also work harden. I wouldn't assume the Spitfire springs are too soft - the ones I had on mine definitely rode too high, although the newest ones are better. The weight difference at the front is not that great. However, my GT6 is still running the springs that were on it when I bought it, thirty years ago. Unlike my modern, which has needed all four road springs replaced because they all broke - which is apparently quite normal once they hit 15 years.