We are out (team 9 / ruk799l)

5 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Gearbox failed completely, trying to arrange recovery 1.8km up the sp638 from Pocol. 

Gutted and spent over an hour trying to get through to the recovery company. 

Very sorry to hear this. 🙁

Failed in what way? Unable to select gears or no drive in any gear?

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Failed in what way? Unable to select gears or no drive in any gear?

No drive in any gears. Car died on a hairpin, we rolled it back to a lay-by. Trying to restart it sounded like a flat battery (but with hind-sight was probably the gearbox locked/semi locked up/stuck in gear). Got it started again, but no drive. "borrowed" ATF to top it up and seemed to get some drive back when the car cooled down, but only for a very short period and then nothing again. 

1 hour ago, Wendy Dawes said:

How is the recovery progressing Sam, so sad you had to pull out 

Recovery shockingly bad, decided to rescue ourselves. Lots of tickets for planes, buses and cars booked for tomorrow in an attempt to get home.

2 hours ago, McJim said:

Still, not far to Yorkshire .....  You're where?!!!

Cortina d'Ampezzo at the moment, which is better than the 18kms up a mountain on a hairpin where we spent 6 hours being lied to by a recovery company. 

4 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

ENo drive in any gears. Car died on a hairpin, we rolled it back to a lay-by. Trying to restart it sounded like a flat battery (but with hind-sight was probably the gearbox locked/semi locked up/stuck in gear). Got it started again, but no drive. "borrowed" ATF to top it up and seemed to get some drive back when the car cooled down, but only for a very short period and then nothing again. 

Recovery shockingly bad, decided to rescue ourselves. Lots of tickets for planes, buses and cars booked for tomorrow in an attempt to get home.

Cortina d'Ampezzo at the moment, which is better than the 18kms up a mountain on a hairpin where we spent 6 hours being lied to by a recovery company. 

😮😡 awful service Sam hope you get the car back home and yourselves in one piece

take care 🙏

1 minute ago, Wendy Dawes said:

😮😡 awful service Sam hope you get the car back home and yourselves in one piece

take care 🙏

I suspect the car (and sadly contents we couldn't carry) will be written off as the repatriation cost will be high vs value. The only thing that matters right now is keeping my navigator safe and getting her home. 

10 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I suspect the car (and sadly contents we couldn't carry) will be written off as the repatriation cost will be high vs value. The only thing that matters right now is keeping my navigator safe and getting her home. 

🙁 stay safe both, so sad about the Dolly after all the prep you did to get her there 💕

14 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

No drive in any gears. Car died on a hairpin, we rolled it back to a lay-by. Trying to restart it sounded like a flat battery (but with hind-sight was probably the gearbox locked/semi locked up/stuck in gear). Got it started again, but no drive. "borrowed" ATF to top it up and seemed to get some drive back when the car cooled down, but only for a very short period and then nothing again. 

Ah - had forgotten it's auto..... Complicates matters.  Mike Charlton had similar issues of value vs. recovery cost (because broken driveshaft = 3 wheels on wagon making shifting the car between transporters "too hard") in 2017 and mounted his own rescue mission a few weeks later which was at least partly covered by the insurance.  In that case repairing the car to drive it back wasn't too hard though.

Also, same year, I think, we met up with a couple of Italian Dolomite owners at an overnight stop in Coldrano.  Not sure exactly where they were from though....

Best wishes

Nick

16 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Surely if you've got European breakdown cover they are in breach of contract, if the car's in a safe location I would start chasing the breakdown cover provider once you're back home & able to deal directly with them.

Really sorry to hear of your problems Sam and hope it works out okay eventually.  When we were recovered off the side of an Alp in 2017 (I think, maybe 2015) we had to do all the running around ourselves too. We were in danger of having the Spitfire written off if the total cost exceeded £3,500 but I was able to control some things, and therefore prevent some of the expenditure to an extent by setting up frequent four-way conference calls between myself, the garage in Switzerland where the car ended up after recovery, the UK insurer (Peter James), and the company in France who acted on their behalf (who were very good and helped me no end). After a bit of a struggle, it was agreed that repatriation could just be done for under £3.5K.  And they did, and I was extremely relieved to see a very large car transporter blocking my driveway 2 weeks later with my Spitfire on it.

Wishing you all the very best of luck.

Mike

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Really hope you can get the car back into good old Blighty soon 

puts me off doing any overseas events - too much hassle and heartache 

I’ll stay in England thanks lol 

Get Darren to take you in Olaf? It's an incredible event and you would love it, but if fear for Mabel puts you off, join another crew.

Hotel balcony at our stay near Bruneck:
image.thumb.png.8411cf23a714a75d783ea01f71e4328f.png

• Like 1

Mabel can only just about manage 100 mile round trips at the moment lol and steadily at that. 

her poor old engine is tired, did compression test - result fairly even across the range but tired 🙁

100/95/100/95   Should have around 130 

We might go in the Dolomite he's having restored, it’s rest time for OLAF  so the Dolly will be the events car OLaF the gentle tourer 

1 hour ago, michael said:

Unfortunately I tested positive for covid the day before ferry,so did not start! I have been watching what’s app,and am surprised by the number of problems,etc.   regards michael

Darren’s just supplied an alternator from the spares box to Mike Charlton, so he’s up and running again 

Shedi still limping along with a broken gearbox mount. Darren searched and found one which was going to be delivered to Rolduc  but Ashley refuses to pay the £75 for it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Wendy Dawes