Microsquirt ignition only

Spider

Hi,
I have just acquired a microsquirt ecu and whilst I am collecting together the parts for EFI I would like to install the ecu as an ignition only unit. I have read some parts of the "Manual" and believe I only need a VR sensor and toothed crank wheel to get it to work if using an edis 6 unit to drive the coil pack.
Has anyone fitted ign only Micro/Megasquirt and if so can they give me any info on how they did it?

Many thanks.
Spider.

Would strongly recommend also either connecting to manifold vacuum or adding a throttle position sensor so you can add the 3rd dimension to the timing - makes a big difference.

MS is somewhat technical, but the information is all there and pretty clearly presented (though I'd agree that with the number of variants now around it does get a bit confusing).  Time spent learning about it is time well spent if you are planning to use it.

Nick

Cheers guys,
I think I will fit using just the VR sensor and add a MAP sensor later and add sensors in stages to compare and see the difference each makes as I think I will learn more that way rather than fitting them all at once and try and get it all working together at the same time. I believe it will help me with fault finding techniques if I ever have a sensor go down in the future.

Many thanks
Spider.

Laurence - in fact even better is MS's hybrid SD/AN mode which blends between TPS for low down and MAP for higher up when the cam gives enough vacuum higher up the rev range.

Spider - it's worth fitting a MAP sensor from the start, that's a very standard install. It's pretty odd not to have one at all. You can mount the standard Megasquirt MAP sensor in a small box from somewhere like Maplin and connect it up pretty easily.

jcarruthers wrote:
Laurence - in fact even better is MS's hybrid SD/AN mode which blends between TPS for low down and MAP for higher up when the cam gives enough vacuum higher up the rev range.

Spider - it's worth fitting a MAP sensor from the start, that's a very standard install. It's pretty odd not to have one at all. You can mount the standard Megasquirt MAP sensor in a small box from somewhere like Maplin and connect it up pretty easily.

does microsquirt not have it's own MAP sensor?

You can get the MAP sensor from Farnell - about £ 9

http://uk.farnell.com/freescale-semiconductor/mpx4250ap/ic-sensor-abs-press-36-3-psi/dp/1457153?Ntt=Pressure+sensor+MPX4250AP

Might also be possible to use a proprietry stand-alone automotive unit as swiped from a scrapper if the MS can be configured to it's characteristics?

Nick

Thanks for the info guys,
I will fit the microsquirt with just a VR sensor but will be fitting the map sensor that Nick has suggested almost immediately after a 5/6 mile drive just to compare differences. I will be fitting other sensors in quick succession comparing the differences as I go along. VR,MAP, TPS, CTS, IAT and also fitting my wideband O2 sensor with JAW controller and display early on to check on the mixture settings along the way. I will also be fitting my HS6 carbs just to compare them against the original Strombergs before I go for the EFI set up.

Many thanks.
Spider.

Hi Folks,
I have just been thinking ahead on this install and was wondering what others have used for a relay board? I know one is not necessary but it may make for a neater install and the Megasquirt one seems a little expensive for 3 relays and 4 fuses. So what have others used instead?

Thanks.
Spider.