Bonnet shot blasting?

bennygoodman

Due to the fact that my GT6 has been resprayed at least 3 times in the past plus its original colour it is now reacting when I put any primer on the panels that I have worked on so I am thinking of having the bonnet which is obviously the biggest panel shot blasted.
Does anyone know what kind of price you are looking at to have the bonnet done, I have been rubbing it down with a sander for hours but it is now getting to be a ballache.

sand/shot blast only the seams and edges as these are hard to remove paint from and have inherent strength from the folds in the metal.  Stay away from any large flat areas as these will ripple.  Expect to pay about £100-£150 for seams and edges.  I would use a good DA sander and 120 grit paper as stated above.

Hello Benny,

consider these if you have an angle grinder, they are much quicker than a D\A sander and leave a good ready for paint finish and will also remove rust patches.http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GSLFNJGWJ4beRJ5GMFSMV0gl

Most engineering\farmers\welding suppliers stock them, not cheap but extremely effective.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Benny,

consider these if you have an angle grinder, they are much quicker than a D\A sander and leave a good ready for paint finish and will also remove rust patches. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GSLFNJGWJ4beRJ5GMFSMV0gl

Most engineering\farmers\welding suppliers stock them, not cheap but extremely effective.

Alec

I've been using those as well, my son works for DRONCO so I get all my wet & dry and abrasives at cost but its still taking ages because of the amount of coats of paint on the damn car.

97679 wrote:
What about some sort of acid dip like Surface Processing offer?  I've heard mixed reviews about them but they do strip parts as well as whole cars.

From what iv'e read, it's a very good service but very expensive and you have to strip anything non metal that you want to keep as the acid will eat most things...apart from good steel  :)

Not sure why you're making slow progress with the clean and strip discs - they should absolutely carve through paint of any thickness. A dronco one on an angle grinder stripped my whole rear wing in about 5 minutes.

Gritblasting isn't really bad for panelwork. It's just that most commercial operations use a huge compressor and massive amounts of grit to get the job done as quickly as possible. My home set up with a 3hp compressor is slow but effective and there's no chance of distorting anything!

willcolumbine wrote:
Not sure why you're making slow progress with the clean and strip discs - they should absolutely carve through paint of any thickness. A dronco one on an angle grinder stripped my whole rear wing in about 5 minutes.

If your talking about the plastic type I found them practically hopeless when stripping my new bonnet of its black paint.I tried nitromors and all that did was make the bonnet wet and dint remove a bit of paint no matter how long I left it!
In the end I just had to sand the lot down with a power sander.

piman wrote:
Hello Benny,

are you sure, these discs are about 3/4" thick and come in one grade, at least the ones stocked locally are. (Funnily enough I think they are Dronco)

Alec

Yes these are about that thick, I will start to use them again once it stops raining, I didn't use them at first because I was told they were for finishing only and not for taking paint off but they did seem to be the fastest of the things I was trying.
I think one reason I stopped using them was that I was told an angle grinder is to fast for them, I will have another go once the rain stops as the bonnet is outside now I have brought it home to work on.

Alex wrote:

If your talking about the plastic type I found them practically hopeless when stripping my new bonnet of its black paint.I tried nitromors and all that did was make the bonnet wet and dint remove a bit of paint no matter how long I left it!
In the end I just had to sand the lot down with a power sander.

I've tried paint/varnish stripper as well that I bought from the paint mixing shop but all that does is take off the first layer, this car has its original layer plus undercoat, then at least three other colours and the undercoat for them so your looking at a huge amount of the stuff at nearly £25 a gallon.