Partial throttle rumble?

James

Does the engine rattle on a cold start?  If it's worn enough to rattle when running then it may rattle on start up too.

If Richard's heard the noises your car is making then he's probably better placed than me to diagnose the problem but I'd check things like the water pump, alternator / dynamo, crank pulley / fan / flywheel before condemning the engine itself.

When my car started to make a scary, deep knocking noise from the engine bay it turned out to be the alternator bearings, not a broken crank or failed engine bearings as suggested here..... ;D

Quote:

If Richard's heard the noises your car is making then he's probably better placed than me to diagnose the problem but I'd check things like the water pump, alternator / dynamo, crank pulley / fan / flywheel before condemning the engine itself.
End quote.

quickest way to confirm if its the engine is just take the fan belt off and run it without it. If the noise is still there you know you have an expensive rebuild coming!!!!! :(

Good luck with it mate. I hope its something minor.

Bad luck James, I hope it is something minor rather than an engine rebuild. The symptoms on my car when the big ends were on their way out were similar. The engine would produce a deep rattle that dissappeared when the throttle was depressed but very obvious on part-throttle and worse when lifting off. If the bearings are going would it not be possible to throw some big-ends in after dropping the sump to get you mobile again?

Best of luck with it, Neil

As I couldn't find anywhere to do the tracking on my car this morning I have come shopping in the Passat - eurgh! Shopping is hellish...

Anyway - it has decided to start overunning - and it makes a loud rattle.

Timing is a very good point as the lay thing I did was adjust the valve gaps - let's hope I come home to finding the vacuum detachedl

Nick_Jones wrote:
Over advanced ignition? - try disconnnecting the vac advance (plug both ends) and road test to see if it makes a difference.

I'll make you a fair offer if you're pushed over the edge  :P - need an good solid example for development  ;)

Nick

Sell it to me :P  I've got a decent engine in a scruffy shell!!!!!!!!!! ;D

James are you still looking at building a screamer 2 litre,or are you back to the 2.5 idea or failing that keeping an early 2 litre engine and mildly modifying?

When I go 2.5 I will more than likely be looking to offload my early engine...I also have a 2.0 litre mk2 engine spare although long term it'll need some tlc....

MarkDeTriomphe wrote:

Exactly - what have I done to deserve this?

Anyway - my Avatar is now on the road!

Dont look at me,I just happened to mention a certain butchered engine front plate.
I didnt even mention names,but the guilty have put there hands up and then fought back...at you :P ;D

Archived