glang

Hiya, has anyone found a real solution for fuel vaporisation in Vitesse carbs? I'm thinking heat shields, bonnet vents, exhaust manifold tape etc. Mine's going to live in southern Spain for a while and I would love to find something to help the old girl.....

No, that's all I did, it was always a pain on a hot day, the other issue being K&N filters, constantly slurping hot thin air....when I pulled the rad out to get the kenlowe off it was obvious that when it wasn't running it was blocking a sizeable amount of airflow through the rad. I returned the 'improvements' back to standard and that was the end of hot-day fuelling issues- the PIC shows just how much rad is covered by a kenlowe.....

My problem is when the car is stationary as the fueling is fine when moving. I stop and whether I have the original mechanical fan or an electric one the idle drops very low and if allowed to stall the engine is quite difficult to get restarted. When u think about it on stopping the heat off the exhaust must be considerable and it has no easy escape route which is why I was wondering if anyones has tried the various mods I mentioned....

Carb or fuel cooling...or both. I re-routed my fuel supply lines across the dash (Huco electric pump) and it feeds the rear carb. Hopefully that will solve problems I had in the sweltering Alps. If you need cooler air to reach the carbs then perhaps bolt-on K&Ns aren't the best choice. I had, for a few years, an adapted 2000/2500 air box that had a large flexi-tube running to a cone K&N alongside the rad.

sounds like she's just too rich

whilst Im not in spain we had a 7 blade plastic fan on the 1600 with unwrapped 6-3-1, manifold ans std rad , std airbox used 1/.5" sink waste to make better air flow in the to the airbox and she never suffered a missed beat

use 97+ ron fuel advance as close to factory 10deg as possible never use plugs with an R in the suffix

vapourisation seems more of a myth to hide more basic problems than blame the fuel from gassing

Pete

Pete's point about possibly being a bit rich to begin with is a fair one but I do think vaporisation is a real issue, made worse by the witches brew which is modern fuel, designed for injection engines.

Heat shield(s) and a cold air feed are about all there is without drastic measures.  The standard airbox with the extension pipes is a fair start point for the latter but can be improved on. Blocking off the warm air slots along the bottom of it (bit of duct tape!) helps on it's own!  Problem with the Vitesse compared to GT6 is where to find the cold air as it doesn't have the relatively cool area on front of the rad.

Nick

Thanks for the suggestions guys but it looks like there's no easy magic solution! I'll probably have to stick with a bodge that I saw in an old Alfa Romeo: it had a tick over adjustment lever on the dash (separate from the choke) that allowed the driver to pick up the revs a little if it started to struggle. I'm not going to install this in the Vit but have set up the choke so that by pulling out the knob just a little the throttle is opened without changing the choke position.......  

spark plugs with an R in the suffix are 'resistive'  made for modern  radio  suppression and require a much higher HT than our car coils produce

our cars are about 22kv  and resistive  need over 32kv ,  so fine in a modern car with modular coils but can give understandably poor running on the general tin can coil we all use

if  you have these then your very likley to get some weeny sparks at the pugs  and some general misfire

Pete