Why Delco & not Lucas distributor for GT6?

rotoflex

I just checked the Haynes manual:  it covers the Vitesse & GT6 in the same volume. 

It specifies that the Vitesse 2-litre had a Lucas 22D6, but the GT6 had a Delco 202 (204 in emissions markets).    Service instructions for both the Delco & Lucas are included in the Haynes manual, as it encompasses both Vitesse & GT6.

It is strange, as others have occasionally mentioned having a GT6 with a Lucas 22D distibutor, mine does, so a few must have slipped out that way.

There would be the possibility that it's a Vitesse distributor that was swapped in afterwards, but REALLY unlikely for my car as Vitesse are Very rare here.  (The Haynes manual doesn't even list any specs for an emissions-controlled Vitesse, so it may not have been exported to the US after 1968 when emissions regs went into effect.)

I wonder what performance difference they have:  specifically the difference in advance curves.
It's all very mysterious.

Edit:
G-Man:  what is the serial number on the Lucas 22D6 on your GT6?
Mine is 41168D  18 74
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/rotoflex/distrib.jpg

I remember taking that photo when asking about rotors & points here before the big crash, & someone offered more info & advance curve data on it.  Wish I'd pursued it more then.

[quote by=rotoflex link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1175292160,s=0 date=1175292160]Why did Triumph go with the Delco 200 distributor on the GT6, while the Vitesse was already using  a Lucas 22D distributor on the same engine?[/quote]

Xenophobia?
There is a traditional dislike of British (Lucas) electricals in the US, the fitting of Delco components was a sop to the large proportion of Sportscars sold there. The GT6, Spitfire and early Vitesse (Sports Six) all had Delco distributors, while the ranges not sold in America didn't. The Delco distributor was replaced by Lucas when the Vitesse ceased to be sold in the US.
Somehow they got away with fitting Lucas parts on TRs,
Cheers,
Bill.

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1175292160,s=8 date=1175334125]I still am amazed when the American owners of Triumphs make the 'Prince of darkness' comment- in all my years of Triumph ownership I have never had problems with Lucas equipment.[/quote]

It's an easy stereotype to make via observational error, since all English cars imported into the US had Lucas electricals, acrosss all years, across all models.  An 1968 MG alternator goes bad, a 1971 Triumph starter goes bad, etc.  look, BOTH made by LUCAS.  DADGUM LUCAS PARTS!  You only deal with them when they're broken, & when they're broken, they're always Lucas - because they're all Lucas.

GM makes their own alternators, Ford makes their own alternators, etc.  It would be the same way if some company like Voltco made the electrics for all US cars:  an 83 Cutlass has a Voltco starter go bad, 91 Ford truck has an ignition module go bad, all Voltco, POS VOLTCO CRAP BREAKING AGAIN.

I've had a few Lucas switches which were genuinely worn out after 40+ years, not bad as far as I'm concerned. On the other hand I have found the later TR7 type switchgear very prone to failure - by then I suspect Lucas were keen to live up to their (previously undeserved) reputation. :-)
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived