Simonbbc distributor

Raider

I need a new dizzy for my Mk2 2000 - has anyone had any experience of the simonbbc distributors as in this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-MKII-2-0-Standard-Electronic-Distributor-/110717898108?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c74d0d7c

sorbs wrote:
I've heard mixed reports.

You'd need to be certain it's the right one for your engine.

It may be better just to fit electronic ignition to the distributor you already have unless it's completely worn out.

Completely worn out covers it OK - and a second hand replacement one also failed with internal welds breaking :-/

I put one on my 2500, 45d6 dizzy after speaking to him as one of his modules was playing up when fitted,
I think i did about 150 miles on it before i took it off and refitted the original dizzy with points. Just couldn`t get it to run right, it would cut out at lights,roundabouts etc,
Because of having problems with it, Fitted a new coil which he supplied as he said that could be the problem, new plugs,leads etc were also changed but nothing solved it until it went back on points and has been running ok since then.
Have one of his dizzy`s on my mgb and has been ok for the last 3 years.

cheers andy

I have fitted one of the modules to my Green PI, 2 minute job, then 5 to realise the dizzy needs moving to restre timing, £30 inc a red rotor arm.

Your car ought to have a 25D6, not a 45D6. You would need to check the advance curves it supplies.

Someone must have a spare 25D6 somewhere you can fit a module into.

Cheers

Colin

Colin

You need to carry the old points with you. The module`s are very sensitive and give up the ghost quite often, My pi estate with 25d6 dizzy had one fitted before the rbrr last year ran with no problems, Then went to move it in the drive and nothing that is also now back on points,
If you are refering to me the yellow car should have a 45d6 the 2 pi`s 25d6. I think his 45d6 dizzy`s are not really suitable the triumph engines.

cheers andy  

I was thinking Martins one should have the 25D6.

I got fed up with having to clean the points each time I wanted to start it, and the SimonBBC one was dead easy to fit, and not too expensive.

Spare dizzy in the boot setup ready to go on in case of failure... :-)

Cheers

Colin

piman wrote:
Hello Colin,

"I got fed up with having to clean the points each time I wanted to start it"

That is not usual, what was making them so dirty it wouldn't start. Did you ever do a voltage reading across the closed points?

Alec

They were very old, having sat for many years in unsuitable environments. In fact the whole car has sat in unsuitable environents for long periods of time.

I also suspect the condensor wasn't 100% either.

I liked the simplicity and ease of fitting as well.

It would always fire after they were cleaned. now it fires straightaway.

The Delco in my Mk3 spit always suffered the same thing, leave it a month and it would be a sod to start, fitted an electronic ignition and always on teh key.

Cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin, you are right it should be a 25D6. It's slightly worrying that the Simonbbc site refers to the standard 2000 dizzy as a 45D6.

Also there are certainly mixed experiences reported here.

Meanwhile, I have to decide whether to stick with the later engine in mine or rebuild the original early mk2 2000 engine which would then determine which 25D6 dizzy I need(think)

Archived