Top Fuse Blowing

Bainzy

On the way home the other night the fuse that controls Overdrive / Instrument Voltage / Tach blew, leaving me with no gauages except speedo and no overdrive. I've just put a new one in, and within seconds of starting it blew again.

Obviously having none of these things working is not a good thing, where should I be looking for a fault?

I don't know as I'd start there though - I think I'd probably start by looking at the leads for the o/drive on the knob, since I hear that's a notorious failure spot (as it was on my MGB!) and perhaps that whole o/drive loom ----- BUT in support of my dear friend James, I fixed this very thing on mine yesterday and it may well be that he's absolutely right and that you have a similar issue. A hot lead for accessory/radio was flapping about under the dash in mine (where it had been left by my friendly mechanic friend I hasten to add, not by me). So it might be that you're also gonna need to pull the heater control knobs by first undoing their fiddly grub screws, then unscrewing the middle panel four screws, then spend some time with a torch, upside-down in the footwell.
Amusing fun......

Thanks for the help guys. Think it might have been the overdrive - pulled the top off and the blue wire was disconnected. Provided that I didn't dislodge it when taking the cap off, then that was probably it. We shall see when firing it up next time!

Yeh you have to get a really small IMPERIAL allen key for it. Need to find mine actually as the last time I took the dashboard apart I didn't put it back in the holder and its now gone walkies.

Its funny how I spent an entire day taking the dashboard apart when I first got the car, now if it needed to be done I could have the entire thing stripped in 15 minutes flat. Putting it back together still takes half an hour at least though!

Hello Bainzy,

disconnect all circuits at the fuse holder and put them back one by one until the fuse blows, then reconnect all but the one(s) that blow the fuse and see what isn't working. Concentrate on that circuit to find it's fault.

Alec

Archived