repairs and overdrive hearal 13/60

gambo76

• 2 months later...

Also in the market for an overdrive box to fit in a 13/60. 

Were many 13/60s made with O/D boxes, and do they fit OK without tunnel mods. On the Vitesse it has a slightly shorter propshaft, and I made a removable section of tunnel so I could get at the propshaft bolts (and get the gearbox out), but I wondered if this was necessary on a 13/60 as not so challenged for space with the 4 pot engine.

Quoted from pistanbroke-

Also in the market for an overdrive box to fit in a 13/60. 

Were many 13/60s made with O/D boxes, and do they fit OK without tunnel mods. On the Vitesse it has a slightly shorter propshaft, and I made a removable section of tunnel so I could get at the propshaft bolts (and get the gearbox out), but I wondered if this was necessary on a 13/60 as not so challenged for space with the 4 pot engine.

The factory never fitted O/D on Heralds. However, the Spitfire Mk3 gearbox is identical to the Herald one and was available with O/D. The option does, as you note, require a shorter propshaft but fortunately the length you need is the same as a non-O/D Vitesse. Factory fitted O/D on Spitfires or Vitesses involved removal of a short piece of the tunnel and a removable cover plate - you would probably need the same on a Herald.