Overdrive switch

Raider

My 2000 MK2 has the usual overdrive switch on top of the gear knob.

The wiring was all broken in the stick so I replaced it but I can't get the switch to "stick down" properly onto the gear knob. Now I know why there's often black insulating tape round them!

Anyone got any tips?

Noticing the howls of anguish on the blog...

I remember that feeling well.  Must be a big saloon thing.  You spend ages chasing down a fault with it persistently popping back up or evolving.  Then when you finally seem to have fixed it, some other random thing pops up to rob you of any satisfaction.  Then the original fault will probably recur later on, perhaps due to crappy repro parts or perhaps just sheer cussedness.

Mine's gone to live with someone else now.  I had a long talk with the new owner recently and he tells me that he has used it more or less daily, covered more than 6k miles and, apart from a deep pothole dislodging the inertia switch, it's been faultless.....

Guess it was me it didn't like..... :-/

Nick

Oh dear...

You can tin bash a new knob out of some thin sheet ally and put a 30 amp toggle switch in! - its what I did!

The heater - I am sure some softly softly catchy monkey shed engineering will get the valve rotated to hot..and just leav it there! and just use the flap to stop your feet melting

The missfire - bin the bloody pionts then work off the theroy of- if it feels like fuel its an electrical fault,and if it feels like an electrical fault its fuel...

So how much would you sell it for !? :)

If you are careful you can get a small pair of molegrips on the end of the brass heater valve and rotate it - but if you pull you will end up with the contents of the water jacket and radiator inside the car  ??) as its only the actuating leaver that retains the valve in the radiator pipes

Nick_Jones wrote:
Noticing the howls of anguish on the blog...

I remember that feeling well.  Must be a big saloon thing.  You spend ages chasing down a fault with it persistently popping back up or evolving.  Then when you finally seem to have fixed it, some other random thing pops up to rob you of any satisfaction.  Then the original fault will probably recur later on, perhaps due to crappy repro parts or perhaps just sheer cussedness.

Mine's gone to live with someone else now.  I had a long talk with the new owner recently and he tells me that he has used it more or less daily, covered more than 6k miles and, apart from a deep pothole dislodging the inertia switch, it's been faultless.....

Guess it was me it didn't like..... :-/

Nick

Thanks for that Nick  ;D

8861 wrote:
Oh dear...

The missfire - bin the bloody pionts then work off the theroy of- if it feels like fuel its an electrical fault,and if it feels like an electrical fault its fuel...

So how much would you sell it for !? :)

Food for thought there - I always think 95% of the time it's an electrical fault but this time I have 2 new theories as well. ;D

1. I have noticed the choke doesn't go all the way back in. Could it not be shutting off properly? Then when I was faffing about in the layby the car was ticking over with too rich a mixture (cos the choke wasn't fully off?). Then pulling away it's not happy.    Not sure about that theory.

2. Whilst faffing about and the engine running it got a little warm and the electric fan cut in. When I managed to get the b****y thing home I did take a look under the bonnet and noticed petrol in the clear bowl of the fuel filter "percolating". Fuel starvation due to too much heat there? Not sure about this theory either ;D

Are you running SUs or Stromies?

SUs - next time you fire it up and its warm check the jets are fully pushed home with the choke cable in..if the cars not been in regular use? the jets/linkage can stick a bit for the first few hundred miles or so (along with loads of other stuff that will play up... then fix its self so keep persevering!)

Anyway I'm not offering any help on fuel issues until you bin the Chinese points and condenser!   :) :)

Throw an Acu spark in or similar in and go through all the obvious HT /LT, timing stuff  - then worry about fuel if it still misfires

The fan will kick in if it has been ticking over stop starting etc so don't even worry about that at the moment

Ignore the heater/overdrive issues - just get it running sweet first then worry about the nice to have working stuff!  :)