Gearbox rear oil seal

mazfg

I've spent the weekend refitting my gearbox...which was a struggle but it's all in and I ran it without the propshaft attached. All is good apart from I've noticed the rear oil seal seem to be leaking a tiny bit . The guy who refurbed forgot to do this and prior to refitting I tried to get the castellated nut off to remove the flange..but no go and with the MOT next Fridqay (and bad whether in the week) it was do or die this weekend.
Now I did think about doing in situ. My only problem is the gearbox tunnel won't allow me to get a socket in..less access as I also have OverDrive. I though I may grind some of it off to allow this.The nut seems to be on pretty tight...is it ok to lock eveythingby putting it in gear and then undoing?  I had no hope before when it was on the bench as It wouldn't lock with my mole grips...
Any advice appreciated.

from what ive read you need to make flange bar,  a suitable length of tube or angle iron   with 2 bolts welded on the end to fit the flange once this is fitted it will jam on the concrete under your car when the flange is turned,to get better access can you not undo the rear gearbox mounts and lower the rear end of the gearbox on a trolly jack, to udo the nut you will need an impact wrench or a long half inch drive bar for the socket

What iggy says is the right way to do it but as a quicker bodge it can be done by putting bolts through two of the flange hole, doing them up tight and then wedging a correct size spanner on one nut against the other. Then spanner can then be locked against the floor of the vehicle to allow the nut to be undone be warned though that the recommended torque does say 90 - 100 lb.ft.....

I just got some info about using a screwdriver to lock the gears by selecting 2 at the same time.:
Take the selector mechanism off the top of the gearbox and look in you will see where the selectors slot into the gearbox. Move one in one direction and the other one in the opposite direction so two gears are selected. This will prevent the flange from turning. Once you have finished changing the seal and replaced the flange and tightened up the nut move those parts back before you replace the selector mechanism.

although Im not averse to a bit of bodging I would try to avoid putting the torque of undoing/doing up the nut through the gear train. One thing is that the nut will probably become 'spongy' to torque as you take up the slack so making it difficult to get positive force on it.....
If its already filled dont forget the oil in the gearbox when you take out the seal  

There are interlock pins and balls that prevent  selecting two gears at once situated between the 3 shafts

the tunnel should be cut back a good few inches to allow access to overdrive coouplings   has a
simple  screw down  tin plate  made to cover the prop tunnel gap

a pair of bolts thru the coupling and lock it with a pry bar should be easy to hold the coupljng from rotating   its not gorilla tight

pete

if sure that will get it close, watch  out for hose stretch etc.

tip if you remove the mount to the base plate   , tack weld the bolts into the mount as spanner access to hold the hex is  more than a challenge, if tacked you can fit the nuts underside .........,one handed

Pete

Quoted from Pete Lewis

tip if you remove the mount to the base plate   , tack weld the bolts into the mount as spanner access to hold the hex is  more than a challenge, if tacked you can fit the nuts underside .........,one handed

Pete

I found that out at the weekend..much toing and froing..

Will the output flange come out easily or will I need a hub puller on hand? Or easily tapped out?

Ive made a bar up fitted to the flange. .unfortunately every time I try to undo the nut, the gearbox rises up when the bar is hard against the floor. .ahh. Seems like I need to find away of keeping the gearbox down.  Problem is..it's already raised up to get the socket in for the castellated nut. ...

Quoted from mazfg
Ive made a bar up fitted to the flange. .unfortunately every time I try to undo the nut, the gearbox rises up when the bar is hard against the floor. .ahh. Seems like I need to find away of keeping the gearbox down.  Problem is..it's already raised up to get the socket in for the castellated nut. ...

Can you reposition your bar so that it lodges against the chassis rather than the floor?

Quoted from Dogsbody47uk

Can you reposition your bar so that it lodges against the chassis rather than the floor?

I think it will still rise up even if against the chassis rail as as soon as it hits anything it'll lever up the gearbox.

If you can position your lever against the underside of the chassis right hand main rail, then as you try to undo the nut it will force the gearbox downwards against whatever you are using to prop the gearbox up. ( right hand looking from front to rear ). That should do it. Cheers, Dave.

Quoted from Pete Lewis
I have a 1/2"  Mac  19.5 volt 330 lbft  impact gun which shifts just about anything triumph

I have 3 makita drills  but dont know about their impact wrench ,, not to be confused with a impact driver which is normally aimed at screws not 32mm nuts

pete

Mmmm..yep..I mean impact driver. ..I've a hex to 1/2" adapter on it...I'll give it a go anyway. .but mIghtfield not be man enough.  I've just made up a new triangulated bar to use....going to try it all tomorrow morning.

Well, here's the tool I made. It made very light work of it in the end. Popped the old seal out really easily too. New one went in square and used a piece of pipe to carefully knock it in.  Took it out for a spin..to check...came back and the bloody thing is slightly weeping oil out....  
I'd cleaned up the flange ok..could see where the old seal was sitting on the flange and it looked smooth without nicks in it....not sure what's gone wrong..it's a fairly simple procedure..

I had a similar experience with Toby, many years back, when he belonged to my brother. The O/D rear seal was leaking so we replaced it... and it still leaked. Some months later, my brother declared that it no longer leaked but given his mechanical skills I suspect that was because it ran out of oil (the O/D had never worked so the obvious symptom wouldn't apply). When I rebuilt the whole shebang some years later to go in Felix (the other brother's Mk2 Spit) I managed to get a good seal.

I'm hoping it may settle down..bed in...   When the oil is hot and thinner that's when it weeps. The seals seem to be a standard universal part 513231.
I did have a simialr thing when I did my crank front seal that sits in the timing chain cover. Went through about 5 and it still leaked..until I bought a full metal jacket type one from Barnwell. been good ever since.
I shall monitor and potentially buy another and try again..bit of a pain but I now know it's only an hour or so job

glad its off...on   off think weve all been there from time to time

i would burnish the coupling with some 1200 grit it may show a wear line,

skf and others make wear sleeves , this is a very tin tap on tube to repair worn journals  and uses same seal .

on production in the 80s we fitted them a std to all our axles so its not a bodge .so repairs could be done in later life.

do check the OD breather and the small hole in the gearbox top cover ( under the selector rod casting are open and working)

Pete

Quoted from Pete Lewis

do check the OD breather and the small hole in the gearbox top cover ( under the selector rod casting are open and working)

Pete

I'll have a look, it's that black thing on top of the OD.  

Wish I'd burnished it now before putting it all back...too keen. It looked perfectly smooth, with a mirror like finish. I did wonder though if the new seal lip was in a different place to the old and may sit further out..in which case it was more cruddy further out?