wukkie1

IMHO the clutch pressure plate is not an adjustable or serviceable item.  If faulty buy another, and a new friction plate - they are packaged as pairs.     But clut h problems are far more likely to be to do with ths hydraulics of mechical linkages.   Look at the first first, because it is external, then the lever system when you have the box off.

John

I agree with John d. I have never adjusted a clutchmyself but know people that have tried. I know the manual shows you the coil spring clutch in its component parts but you should see the rigs that are used to set them up to give a judder free condition. How you would do this in a car I have no idea. As for setting the finger height and release load on a diaphragm spring clutch I could bore you for hours ????. We did used to reman clutches until about 3 years ago but this was mostly Volvo lorry clutches up to 15" but the amount of new parts that had to go into them it is cheaper to build new.
As johnd says it could well be the hydraulics that are your issue with your plate dragging or not releasing (guessing that this may be your issue.)
Dave

ps the hydraulics on my herald are Girling so not our fault ????

there are thin throwout bearing at 15mm thick  the orig was 19mm thick this makes the lever late and you loose mechanical advantage,  cure is new brg or remove the spherical post and sit a washer under it to raise the fulcrum point a little.

in general  the Vitesse6  1600  had spring clutch and Mk1 Mk2 had diaphragms

dont mix the plates up diaphragm has a thinner   disc plate than the coil unit

nipped in a vice  diaphram  disc thickness    20.270/0.290"   GT6 wound yarn   vitesse raybestos

coli disc    0.330"  wound yarn

Thanks Pete

Thought "spherical post" might be another name for the push rod and a washer might pack it out a bit. I understand some folk have welded a section in the push rod to compensate for the shorter bearing and I thought this might do the same.

The technique you mean, would be a gear box out job I guess?.

Cheers, Dave

Actually, you might manage it with the gearbox in, though there could be a bit of swearing.  Worth a go before you take the 'box out.  Check the condition of the arm itself as they do sometimes crack and even punch through where they bear on the ball.  Also be sure the hydraulics are good and fully bled (bleed nipple uppermost!) and that the pivot point on the end of the pedal is good before doing anything drastic.  Can be a bunch of small issues ganging up on you sometimes.

Nick

• 1 month later...