Gearsticks for Dolly Sprint Gearbox

tiggrr1

Hi fellas

been a while since I've posted 😉

Quick question for the cleverer folk than me 😉

Just getting around to putting a Dolly Sprint box in the GT6 almost ready to fit input shaft and laygear modified with late TR6 parts to suit, same goes for the clutch release system.

One small problem I need a gear stick for the box any one got one (beer tokens supplied) or which ones do i need to look for.

If I'm correct I can use Dolly Sprint or 2000, 2500 saloon gear levers. possibly TR6 but no overdrive switch on stick?

Dose thee,s no need modd,n Steeve,
as in shorter, as the throw is alot longer than the GT box
so could weel hit the dash.

Also, rev gear is a looong way to the side.

Paul will no, he got one in,{Essexefi}

getting the 2.5 engine done to match !!!!

M

Should be able to use saloon gear sticks as well as Sprint (Dunno about TR though I would think so).

Saloon ones come in at least two lengths.  Both too long IMO.  Don't shorten too much though or the change gets unpleasantly heavy.  Change is not the best feature of this series of boxes..... (waits for the howls of protest.....)

Nick

when I used a saloon box in my vitesse I thought I had got away with the tunnel issue, but under hard acceleration it just touched. (this was the prop tunnel, not gearbox)

I found the gearstick came out in the original position, but can't remember what else I had to do to the tunnel. Sorry

Quoted from GT6 M
Dose thee,s no need modd,n Steeve,
as in shorter, as the throw is alot longer than the GT box
so could weel hit the dash.

Also, rev gear is a looong way to the side.

Paul will no, he got one in,{Essexefi}

getting the 2.5 engine done to match !!!!

M

I did have,....

now using a w58.

I think from memory I cut the sprint stick off above the rubber damper and welded a steel sleeve on the stub with the cut gt6 stick welded in it also?

I may be able to help with the prop i'm sure I have my original shortened one in the garage somewhere.

Quoted from Nick Jones
(Saloon ones come in at least two lengths.  Both too long IMO.  Don't shorten too much though or the change gets unpleasantly heavy.  Change is not the best feature of this series of boxes..... (waits for the howls of protest.....)

Nick

Nick,

Here is the howl of protest. I have found the gearchange in my Saloon to be superb, nearly on a par with Fords of that era.

There you go!

Good luck Steve.

I'm very optimistic about the box.

It was bought condition unknown but when I picked it up the guy I got it from had changed his plans for his Vitesse   and said he had purchased it as a good overhauled gearbox.

However he had no way of proving it.

Like the fool I am I took him at his word 😲

Happy to say after stripping it down to convert it from a Dolly Sprint to late TR6 spec all is good.
It has seen very little use all bearings and surfaces appear new or have very little wear including the layshaft and synchros.
The gearbox lid and selectors seem to be in as new condition too no wear or movement and nice and tight.

I have a good feeling about it

Hope I'm right 😉

Still on the look out for an overdrive gear lever (does not need the knob/switch) can anyone help me out?

Gear lever needs shortened to eight inch's NO SHORTER or you won't be able to engage reverse.

Done quite a few.

And I think the change with the shorter lever on the big box very good indeed. I own two Gt6's and a Sixfire all with big boxes.

Laurence

Quoted from Rallyspit
Funnily enough I have an 2.5S overdrive gearstick which I'm about to throw away. It's not pristine, and there's no overdrive switch on the top. No beer tokens required, just postage. PM me with your contact details.

Mike

I now have a gear lever 😎

Many thanks Mike your a true Gent.