Diff or Brake issue?

Andy_w83

Hi All,

I have a 1500 Spitfire with a bit of an issue and wanted to see what you thought.

I took the car for its MOT on Tuesday, it has been sitting up for a year or so. It drove fine on the way there, when I collected it they said it failed because the handbrake was seized on.

I couldn't release it so stupidly decided to make the drive home anyway as its only 2 miles, well about halfway home started getting a loud knock from the rear, it is related to the wheel speed not engine and seemed to be once per revoloution.

Managed to get 5 minutes today to have a look, spun the rear wheel as the handbrake was on but not solid anymore and I think there is a faint noise. Removed the wheel and drum and no obvious reason for the noise spinning the half shaft and the noise is still there. Also the prop to diff seal is now weaping.

So really my question is could I have damaged the diff by driving with the handbrake on? if so what is the bes way so confirm?

Cheers
Andy

Check also for the clips that hold the sliding slave cylinders to the back plate. If the cylinder is not held properly then it can make a knocking noise under braking. It can also have a tendency to lock the brake up if they are missing.
Hope you find what the issue is. When you do find it pleas repost so that we can all be informed.

Working nights at the minute but will hopefully have a look on Thursday.

Plan is to strip rear brakes, overhaul and adjust handbrake as it is seized at the minute, then take it for another drive and see if noise is still present.

I had read about the clips on the back of the cylinder not sure if they are there or not at the minute the rubber cover certainly isn't. The cylinder can be moved freely in the backplate with the drums off.

Cheers

Ok so just found the rear wheel cylinder to be seized!

I have a couple of questions there is a impression on the backplate from the handbrake lever pivot pin, is this ok?

The hole in the handbrake lever arm for the pivot pin is worn and oval resulting in a bit of movement, normal or replace?

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

I don't think the "broken casting" is actually broken, but I think the lever is. And for the price of new slave cylinders I don't think I'd try repairing a seized one. You might as well just replace both items (and on both sides for good measure).

As to the indentation in the backplate, that's probably OK. It may result in (or contribute to) the handbrake only really acting on the front shoe, but as a parking brake that's probably sufficient.