Was this a good idea (subaru diff)

Clive

just browsing ebay (as you do) and stumbled across this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-SVX-Rear-Diff-/271072067900?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ASubaru&hash=item3f1d27813c

A Subaru LSD but in very rare 3.7 flavour, hopefully ideal in my spitfire......So I had to buy it.
Was it a good idea or just another daft idea.??

Guess I will know in a couple of years time when it is either in the car or still in my "diff pile"

I know of one that has been fitted in a spitfire by a CT chappie. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Yep, 3.54 is available, in fact quite common. As are the 4.1 but he 3.9 is a little rarer, and the 3.7 is almost mythical.
Having used a 3.63 in the zetec spit, I think that was a good ratio, and the 3.7 should be slightly better. I was considering he 3.9 until I saw this one. Plus it is LSD, and viscous which is possibly a good thing. I hope. Not viscous or noisy like the plate LSD's.

3122 wrote:
I assume at some point you are going to drive this car somewhere?!  :P

Been 3 years in the build so far, engine got bunged into position last weekend, sitting on blocks for checking (ie bonnet etc all fits nicely) and should be making engine mounts next weekend (this one is Gill's birthday plus a uni visit)
Looks like the bodywork will get the spraywork done over christmas......

cliftyhanger wrote:

Been 3 years in the build so far, engine got bunged into position last weekend, sitting on blocks for checking (ie bonnet etc all fits nicely) and should be making engine mounts next weekend (this one is Gill's birthday plus a uni visit)

Brookland's New Years Day Meet?  :)

cliftyhanger wrote:

You need to get Big Chris to do your project management for you  :P

Nick_Jones wrote:
Julian,

Do you consider the R160 strong enough for Stag/Saloon use?  Doesn't look as beefy as the original offering?

Nick

Initially I was a little worried about it.  It is somewhat smaller and after installing it I think a bigger R180 or R200 would need a fair bit of body 'persuasion'.
The R160 long nose is the same in basic design as what was found in Datsun 1600/510s.  I read about a bloke in the US who races a 510 equiped with a Scooby R160 LSD.  His engine put out a fair bit more power and torque than the Stags' 150bhp.  I thought if his could take 10 years of racing punishement, then it'll work in my Stag.  Also the same design was in WRX Scoobys that put out 300hp, admittedly spread out over 4 wheels.
I do push on a bit with the Stag but I admittedly don't allow severe shocks through the driveline - I prefer a swift but smooth approach.  Maybe it'll be less ideal if one were to do a lot of full throttle, dump-the-clutch, standing start type of abusive driving.
In any case, mine has done well for 3 1/2 years.