GT6 Mk 3 Non Rotoflex rear drive shafts

Rubce

Hi All

Whilst attending the North Yorkshire Triumph Weekend our GT6 developed a noise from the rear which gets more pronounced as you go round a left hand corner. It sounds like the offside rear wheel bearings is on the way out. By the time we got back to Crewe, Cheshire the noise was become much more noticeable!

If the bearing has faileed them I am a bit fed up as I rebuilt both driveshafts 4 years ago and in that time the car has probably done about 6,000 miles.

Is there an alternative assembly I can fit instead of rebuilding the existing? CV joints perhaps? The car is a later Mark 3 Gt6 so has the swing spring setup.

Regards

Bruce

Did you replace the actual shaft when you fitted a new bearing?
Reason I ask is any damage on teh shaft is a real problem, no matter how tiny. Driveshafts and bearings normally last indefinately if kept greased. I have only ever had one go in 25 years and an awful lot of miles. And that was on a car that had been laid up for many years, rudely awakened and the bearing failed within 500 miles. reckon it was duff beforehand.

Converting to CV's could be done, but will not be exactly cheap. You will need a complete rotoflex conversion.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

The needle roller bearing in the offside driveshaft had mashed itself and the shaft >:( To add insult to injury the hub distorted as I pulled it off so I ended up fitting a new shaft, new hub and new bearings >:(

Bruce

Wonder how many other owners are driving around with this sort of problem.

Not easy to check unless dismantled and not noticed till noises draw attention (if noise can be heard over loud radios or other sound equipment).

Pretty poor design having the rollers running directly on the drive shaft but, whilst I have seen deep grooving of the drive shafts, have not heard of any breaking.  
Has anyone else?

• 7 months later...

Hi

I think I have this problem on my Spitfire 1500. Doing my research I'm sure I can hear all the classic noises from the bearings. Sounds worse when I slow down.  :-/

Thinking I'll have to replace both shafts and tempted to get the complete units from Canleys.

Annoyed that I didn't do this when I rebuild the rear suspension with new spring, UJ's and poly bushes a couple of years ago.

I know they are easy to work on but it does get a little frustrating when you have to undo those nilock nuts that are relatively new on the car!!  ??)

Hi

I obtained a spare set of very rusty driveshafts yesterday. Started to dismantle them this evening and all was going well until I came to remove the vertical link from the trunnion. The bolt is seized solid in the trunnion. The nut is off but my trusty lump hammer will not budge the bolt. Any good tips for getting the sucker out? I have left it soaking overnight with penetrating oil.

Cheers

Bruce

6994 wrote:
Hi

I think I have this problem on my Spitfire 1500. Doing my research I'm sure I can hear all the classic noises from the bearings. Sounds worse when I slow down.  :-/

Thinking I'll have to replace both shafts and tempted to get the complete units from Canleys.

Annoyed that I didn't do this when I rebuild the rear suspension with new spring, UJ's and poly bushes a couple of years ago.

I know they are easy to work on but it does get a little frustrating when you have to undo those nilock nuts that are relatively new on the car!!  ??)

My 1500 has also got noises at the back, just poly bushed the rear spring as the bush was shit and now when i take a corner you can heard it grinding a bit more  :-/
Going to try this weekend to go at a local to see is he's got half shafts left to rebuild  :)

2806 wrote:
Hi

I obtained a spare set of very rusty driveshafts yesterday. Started to dismantle them this evening and all was going well until I came to remove the vertical link from the trunnion. The bolt is seized solid in the trunnion. The nut is off but my trusty lump hammer will not budge the bolt. Any good tips for getting the sucker out? I have left it soaking overnight with penetrating oil.

Cheers

Bruce

Decent haksaw blade or thin cutting disc between the VL and trunnion. Or both! grinder to get and much as possible, finish with saw. Only way if seized, and actually pretty quick.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the hacksaw suggestion. What a sod of a job it turned out to be :( The first one came apart after sawing but the second one would not oblige so I ended up popping around to a friends house and we used his pillar drill to remove the bolt head.

Next job is to remove the hubs. Oh how I love doing that, not >:(

Regards

Bruce