Suspension to high on the back ..

WIMPUS

hello ,

i've just rebuild the whole suspension on my spit.. but now when it's on the ground it sits so high ..
I pushed the car back and forwards for 20 times ..  :o

Do i need a lowering block ?

kind regards Wim

bobyspit wrote:
It will drop when you get the rest of the car sorted. Seats fuel tank and a good drive will settle it at the correct level.

Rob

ok thanks for the advice :d my uncle (70kg) sat in the boot today to simulate the fuel tank  ;D
I have a new leaf spring and spax shock's

Make sure that you tightened up all the suspension fastenings when the car is loaded, i.e the suspension was under load. Prinicipally the trunnion bolt, the radius arm bolts and the shocker bolts.

To do this, I lift the car under the vertical link until it just starts to lift off the axle stands and then tighten up to the prescribed torque settings.

Thanks for the advice already !

i'm new to triumph's and to car's actually (restoring it)
i have this from june 2011 and i'm restoring it ever since  :o ;)

Ok , i didn't do anything to it for months   :)
Now i need to get the play of the front wheels next week or so and all he mechanic's are done , just for the exhaust  ;D and some other bits   ;)

Kind regards Wim , Belgium

Make sure that you tightened up all the suspension fastenings when the car is loaded, i.e the suspension was under load. Prinicipally the trunnion bolt, the radius arm bolts and the shocker bolts.

To do this, I lift the car under the vertical link until it just starts to lift off the axle stands and then tighten up to the prescribed torque settings.

On adjustables - is it best to set a lowest for this? Thanks

I just got 1 problem .. the top mounting plate , there is a hole at the side  for a bolt ( inbetween the leaf's, true a spacer ..)

spacer sits there , but i can't get the bolt in place  :o

Do i need to take the leaf spring back of the car ?  :-/ (I hope not!)

kind regards Wim

4526 wrote:
I just got 1 problem .. the top mounting plate , there is a hole at the side  for a bolt ( inbetween the leaf's, true a spacer ..)

spacer sits there , but i can't get the bolt in place  :o

Do i need to take the leaf spring back of the car ?  :-/ (I hope not!)

kind regards Wim

You see the 4 studs from the bottom , to hold the leaf spring ..

But than the bolt across .. on the side , thats go's inbetween the leaf and true a spacer .. that bolt i don't get it in :o ...
Is it possible to get it in when the spring is already installed  :-/

Ps. the photo is from the old leaf spring ..
Kind regards Wim

Wimpus.
Oh dear.
That bolt through the retaining plate should be there, and is very difficult to get at with the spring bolted in.
If you take the four nuts off the studs then jack up both sides of the rear suspension you may be able to leave the spring on the studs and still be able to get at it through the inspection panel.
Maybe.
Be careful of lifting the car on the spring under the bodywork.....

We've all been there!

That should fully depend on how the spacer tube sits in the bracket compared to the holes and if there is space enough to get the bolt in. Only thing you can do is to see if it fits but I would think it requires the spring to come off :( I struggled to get my bolt in even when the spring was in a vice!

Good luck and keep us posted!

smithy wrote:
Wimpus.
Oh dear.
That bolt through the retaining plate should be there, and is very difficult to get at with the spring bolted in.
If you take the four nuts off the studs then jack up both sides of the rear suspension you may be able to leave the spring on the studs and still be able to get at it through the inspection panel.
Maybe.
Be careful of lifting the car on the spring under the bodywork.....

We've all been there!

OK .. i will look at i this weekend ..
I can neerly put the bolt in it .. but just not .. :o
So i best do not take the studs off .. just loosen them a bit ?

The studs was also a great job to put them in .. after an hour !  :o and then a seen that i was missing a bolt ..  :(

but yeah, i will tray it .. otherwise , the spring must go out again .. it's actually not a great job to do .. but on my own .; :-/ :P

Kind regards, thanks for the help already and i will be posting photo's when the bolt is in place  ;D !

Wim

3182 wrote:
That should fully depend on how the spacer tube sits in the bracket compared to the holes and if there is space enough to get the bolt in. Only thing you can do is to see if it fits but I would think it requires the spring to come off :( I struggled to get my bolt in even when the spring was in a vice!

Good luck and keep us posted!

will do !  ;)

Wim

I have don it  ;)

but i needed the take the spring back off .. that was the easy way is think ..

Now it was difficult to get the bolt in and we had a vice but no.. after 30 min  it was in !  ;D

I'm glad it's ok now , i think it is a little bit lower  ;)

Thanks for the great help !  ;)

Kind regards Wim

Archived