I don't think the event will happen again  because its too long, too dangerous, starts in the wrong place, uses the wrong roads, ends in the wrong place at the wrong time without enough hotel stops for tea and proper nourishment, contravenes every regulation that is relevant and quite a lot of those that aren't. Also the cars are no longer safe or large enough to carry the number of crew required to ensure that a new driver is available every hour,, and that no one drives more than once, or has to think and drive at the same time as this will result in life imprisonment at best.

Perhaps a mental health charity should be considered????

Quoted from DaveKent
I don't think the event will happen again  because its too long, too dangerous, starts in the wrong place, uses the wrong roads, ends in the wrong place at the wrong time without enough hotel stops for tea and proper nourishment, contravenes every regulation that is relevant and quite a lot of those that aren't. Also the cars are no longer safe or large enough to carry the number of crew required to ensure that a new driver is available every hour,, and that no one drives more than once, or has to think and drive at the same time as this will result in life imprisonment at best.

Perhaps a mental health charity should be considered????

LOL , I have  Sleep Apnea so its fine for me.

• 1 month later...

That's a fair point, but we do need a charity that would appeal to a mixed demographic of those who donate (ie, aren't directly involved in the event). In my experience, if it's something they don't have an interest in they donate less or not at all.

I see where you're coming from with your suggestion, but it could be surprisingly decisive.

Quoted from Matt306
As the cast majority of the drivers were men, a mens charity would be good.

Totally disagree.  Apart from being divisive most charities support both men and women with only a few being just for the one or the other.

Like so many of us, my lovely wife plays a key and integral role in my hobby - in fact without her support (for health problems and dog sitting) there would have been no WCR40 in 2010, Historic Marathon Rally Show in 2015, or my involvement in the RBRR and other things.

And what about the Ladies who help run the Club!

MUT

As has become customary over the years, the 2018 charity will be selected at next June's Committee Meeting. There is nothing to prevent members proposing a charity and sending their suggestions together with a reasoned supporting summary to the Secretary prior to that meeting. Any such proposals as well as those from Committee members will then be discussed and voted upon until a winner emerges. The likely support to be provided by a charity will undoubtedly form a part of such discussions. Whoever is chosen will certainly be in a "follow that" position after our outstanding 2016 experience. Speaking personally I feel that the winner this time will probably be a cancer charity.

One of my oldest friends that I grew up with and have remain close friends with is currently fighting terminal cancer.
Shes 42 the same as me, has two daughters and a husband.
Hers all started with a swollen leg and progressed to almost having it amputated due to a tumour on the vein wall( sarcoma).
They cut the vein out and put in a graft......this failed and had to be done again.
She got sepsis and nearly died last June.....august she was on the home straight waiting to go home.....end of September she had a scan and was told she now had terminal cancer as she has tumours on both lungs.
She was told she'll be lucky to see xmas 2017.
Currently looking forward to chemo in possibly in the next few months......
Sarcoma isn't a word I'd heard before......and wish I'd never heard.

https://sarcoma.org.uk/

Quoted from yorkshire_spam
A couple of years ago I was mis-diagnosed with sarcoma. Scary times, fortunately for me about 6 weeks later I was re-diagnosed with a benign tumour.

That was lucky.....
Unfortunately Ann isn't so lucky,she's had another scan this week and her lung tumours are growing.

Quoted from Alex

That was lucky.....
Unfortunately Ann isn't so lucky,she's had another scan this week and her lung tumours are growing.

I consider myself very lucky. A few weeks of stress wondering... only a small window on the world of people who aren't so lucky. Can't imagine what it's like for people who are not as fortunate (or their families)

• 4 months later...

+1 for a cancer charity. One of the past RBRRs I did was for Macmillan who do fantastic work for families living with cancer.***

Lost both my father and grandfather to renal cancer, GrandD didn't even make it to 60 (I never knew him) and Dad was 63 when he went. If I make it to 31/12/2027 (my 64th b'day) I'm going to have THE biggest celebration...

*** But the fact remains that whatever the charity, there are thousands and thousands of people who do amazing things for other people on the back of minimal (and always inadequate) funding. Whatever the charity, it will be a massively deserving cause.

• 4 months later...