Estate panels appeal

JimEB

Hi all  :)

I've got the chance to save a rare MkII PI estate, but it needs all arches doing, plus at least one full sill. The car is too good to break, but it'd be folly to patch repair it to scrape through the MoT.

Of course I'm aware that panels aren't avaiable from the usual suspects, hence my appeal to you. Are you hiding panels away for a rainy day? Do you really think you're going to use them? If not, then I'd love to buy them off you to save this estate, so please don't hesitate and get in touch!

Any help appreciated, thank you  :)

Front Wings are MkII Saloon,

Rear wings match the profile of the MkI Saloon (just that the fuel tank filler is moved from N/S to O/S on the estate)

Sills are MkI Saloon profile, although the only difference to a MkII sill is the rear edge for the arch. A bit of work with a dolly and you can turn one into the other.

Have you checked the rear hatch area of the estate for corrosion?  This can be a serious problem for estates as Mike W found, as I am finding with Woodie (Mk2 estate for those not in the know) which was bodged unmercifully in these areas before being painted over, and I found with the Rusty Reck though much of that had also rusted and literally fell apart!

The key areas are rear edge of the roof at the top of the hatch opening, the bottom of each side support on the outside where it meets the wing, and also the inside of each side support.  These are repairable areas, I have no problems with repairing them myself having done much worse on Range Rovers, but it is not easy and needs a bit of experience on this sort of work and if done professionally would be expensive.  Repair sections don't exist and you either have to cut up another estate ??) or do some careful metal forming to produce them.

Wheel arches and other wing issues, and sills, will be straight forward compared to this hatch problem.  It is in part caused by the constructional methods and design used in converting a saloon to an estate.

With luck these will be OK (many estates are) but do check it very carefully because it is a known problem spot.

MUT

RussellBanyard wrote:
Jim,

I have 2 salvaged MK2 front wings with reasonable arches. I also have a new N/S estate rear wing (correct estate with no petrol filler)

Probably better to see them used than sit in my garage forever. Are you still interested in my 2.5 engines?

Russell.

Hi Russell,

I've just emailed you  ;)

Cheers!

Thank you all for your input thus far  :)

I was already aware of the MkI/MkII panel sharing on estates, but didn't know about the rear end rot trap around the tailgate  ??)

Hopefully I can get this car rescued and stored somewhere (anywhere!!!) so that I can restore it when I've gathered all the panels  ;)

Real world prices relate to availability and demand - panels for our cars are in very short supply, NOS/remanufactured or take offs, but are in demand.  

Therefore the real world dictates that their value is how badly people want something, and if they really want/need a panel will pay a high price.  A fact of life that if you want a panel you pay what is being expected or lose it to someone who will.

MUT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes really don't like the phrase "The car may prove of strong interest as a donor vehicle and in essence,this may be a deciding factor to all serious bidders,particularly as a provider of the higher horsepower engine,all fuel injection parts,overdrive gearbox,rear axle & driveshaft assemblies,plus a host of body & trim parts."

I would hope a reputable dealer would not want to encourage this sort of thing.

MUT

couldnt agree more ted.

a triumph dealer / stockist should know better, he is hinting the car is fit for nowt else than to be broken for spares.

you wanna see my mk1 estate that im restoring, this one looks like a new car compared to mine.

each and every car, is worth what it is worth to the person buying it, i personally see nothing on that car, body wise that frightens me, but each to thier own.

if the car ends up being broken, the seller will lose a potental customer over the comming years, NOT THE WAY FOR THEM TO ADVERTISE A CAR !!

Thanks Lloyd.  And the other way of looking at this phrase is that Manvers are suggesting that the running gear and everything related to a PI be removed and put into a non PI saloon shell.  What would be the identity then claimed - estate, 2000/2500, or a log book fiddled PI.

People do re-shell cars of special interest to 'save' them which while illegal does have a purpose.  To do what is being implied here is blatantly illegal and of no legitimacy so lets hope the car is bought by someone who respects it for what it is.

Sorry for the rant.

MUT