What a wonderful experience! 

We almost did not make it because on Friday evening, just 20 miles before the hotel / start point of the tour the next morning, the rotor arm of my TR4 decided it was time to break up. The AA man was so kind to tow us back (I admire the electric folding A frame from/into the back of his van) to the hotel where we knew a great deal of Triumph experts would be waiting - and possible someone would have spares? Of course I did not carry a spare as the TR had been proven a reliable and trustworthy car over the last years (including the 10 Countries Run last year). The rotor arm was just a few years old so why should it fail? We will never know.

What we do know is that the club has members much smarter than me, and one even did bring a complete distributor as a spare for his TR4a (currently running a 123 dizzy). That man of course is TIM HUNT. In Capitals yes as he was our Knight In Shining Armor!  

Just exchanging the rotor arm did work but it seemed my distributor cap was different, because a knock could be heard (arm against cap). We (Tim and all the rest of experts) therefor decided it was best/easiest just to swap over the complete distributor. Which we did on Saturday morning, an hour before the tour was started. 

The tour itself was fantastic. Wonderful roads that makes you really use the car to the limit (if you like that sort of thing). We will never forget the Tesco van that was in front of us. Must have been a local because he drove through the corners and hills with break neck speed - I had a very hard time just keeping up with him (as did the four other Triumphs behind us). Great fun.

Wonderful also were the views over the landscapes. Truly amazing and beautiful. 

The organization of the tour was excellent. A fantastic road book, almost faultless and printed with a big size font so no reading glasses were needed :-) We had a very good B&B (the Bellevue) in Kelso, recommended! It was very good to see everyone together in Kelso and have dinner. Great to speak to so many people.

Rightfully chosen by all for “Man of the Event” (not sure of the exact naming but you get the point) was of course Tim Hunt. Without him we probably would have spent the Saturday trying to find a good rotor arm somewhere, and not be able to go along with the tour.

“Car of the Event” (not sure of the… etc)  was the delightful dark green Triumph 2000 Mk1 of Darren. An amazing beautiful original car.

Many many thanks should go to the organisers, Chris, Mike, Mik and Ian who did a very good job.

Many thanks also to all who offered to help us out, much appreciated! 

Hope to see you all again next year!

Dion and Sylvia

“the Dutch couple” 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from Fixer6-

Thank you to everyone for an excellent weekend. Back home last night after just over 1100 miles in 6 days. The GT6 needs a good clean and I need a good rest!

Andrew,  Nice of you to post a photo showing off my stomach!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you got home safely.  We reached home on a recovery truck from south of Newark due to the Vitesse's water pump giving up on us.  So that will be one problem found but I think there's still another one to be identified!

Quoted from Pete Arnold-

Glad to hear you got home safely.  We reached home on a recovery truck from south of Newark due to the Vitesse's water pump giving up on us.  So that will be one problem found but I think there's still another one to be identified!

That's rotten luck Pete, hope it doesn't put you off the event!

So who's doing an event write up for Club Torque? ;-)

Cheers, Sam

Quoted from yorkshire_spam-
Quoted from Pete Arnold-

That's rotten luck Pete, hope it doesn't put you off the event!

So who's doing an event write up for Club Torque? ;-)

Cheers, Sam

Every one should!

Mine`s on its way 

Quoted from Rubce-

I am gutted that we missed the event. The Stag decided it didn't want to leave Cheshire as its fuel pump jammed before we could make it east of the M6.😭

Ended up being recovered home by the AA. I got  the car up and running again Sunday morning but by then the Border Raider was off the menu for us🙁

Note to self, carry a functioning spare fuel pump on future trips!

Bruce  

Pity you could  not have made the OST......I had a spare pump in the boot....you know, as you do!

Who was the kind gentleman who supplied the contact points to my existing distributor? You know - the first try to get the engine running. Which it did with the rotor arm from Tim.

I want to send back the contact points but need a name.... sorry I forgot at the time.

Quoted from Pete Arnold-
Quoted from Fixer6-

Thank you to everyone for an excellent weekend. Back home last night after just over 1100 miles in 6 days. The GT6 needs a good clean and I need a good rest!

Andrew,  Nice of you to post a photo showing off my stomach!!!!!!!

This one better Pete 😉

Quoted from Dion-

Who was the kind gentleman who supplied the contact points to my existing distributor? You know - the first try to get the engine running. Which it did with the rotor arm from Tim.

I want to send back the contact points but need a name.... sorry I forgot at the time.

Kevin Makin

Not very good with the copy and paste thing Pete Arnold, sorry to hear about that. Not sure that it is your stomach in the photograph....

Glad you are both home safely anyway, I will let you and Mary know how the train thing goes.

Andrew

Quoted from Fixer6-

Not very good with the copy and paste thing Pete Arnold, sorry to hear about that. Not sure that it is your stomach in the photograph....

Glad you are both home safely anyway, I will let you and Mary know how the train thing goes.

Andrew

And those cooling systems had a lot to cope with last weekend, the GT6 much hotter than usual on the M18.

there you go, worked out how to do the copy/paste/quote thing 

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-

Our rent a car for the day

And here is ours.

Taken at our coffee stop on Sunday afternoon.  Just after taking this Chris and Val came past and stopped as well, shortly followed by Mr Charlton and several others, but unfortunately we'd run out of water by then!