[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160741350,s=52 date=1161198003] ... Ok, if Chris,Andy and I are in agreement ...  [/quote]

I see we foreigners are not being taken seriously by the English.  ;D
Think I am going to join McJim's Clan  :P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:
I see we foreigners are not being taken seriously by the English

My sincerest apologies - does that mean we have even more in our tree hugger club :o

BTW - just as the correct terminology for McJim's part of the world is Scotlandshire or even Jockland you are not a "foreigner".

The correct term is "Johnny - foreigner" :D

[quote by=beans link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160741350,s=53 date=1161198363]

Think I am going to join McJim's Clan  :P[/quote]

May sound good in theory, but you do realise you'd have to wear a skirt?

So, when's this tree-huggin' planting session happening and where? I know an online shop who sell trees pretty cheapy. I used thema  couple of years ago when I wanted a birch as a pretensai.

If any of you get the club to sopnsor and collect for planting trees I will chip in wiith whatever amount is chosen.  Seems to me the more we make the public aware of the good things we do so much the better.  Funny the in my tirp over no one I talked to knew anything about the run. 

But surely by planting trees and telling the world that is what we are doing and why, then we ARE attracting attention to ourselves, and so will have the 'anti-car brigade' on our backs giving us stick for killing the planet, even though we are with the best intentions trying to be 'neutral', whereas at the moment, we just go out and have a great time, and raise money for charity, and no-one notices.

Perhaps we should keep our heads down and do it solely for our own benefit, limit the publicity to the club, and everyone is happy.

No point in putting your head above the parapet and having someone take a pot-shot at you.

Colin

I admire the sentiment, but let's be realistic.
2000 miles is 50, 40-mile commutes, or 100 20-mile dittos.
How many of you drive to work, that sort of distance?  Every day?
Putting 5 to 10K on your car every year.
How many of you do 15-20K annually, for both business and pleaseure?

If you really want to make a difference, find a way to promote public transport.
Why is it so expensive to commute by rail?
Why is a 'walk-on' train ticket apparently gold plated?
Trains are not so pollution free - see Economist article above - buses and coaches are best!

John

[quote by=JohnD link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160741350,s=61 date=1161248174]Trains are not so pollution free - see Economist article above - buses and coaches are best![/quote]

As someone who cycled 7 miles each way to work and back for 2 years come rain or shine I can safely say give me a train over a bus any day!! Buses may perhaps be less harmful to the environment as a whole, but they're a killer to my lungs when I'm stuck behind one of them!! :P

I had a speedo type gizmo on my bike and my average speed was usually around 20mph, but whenever a bus decided to plod past me at 25mph only to stop 100 yards down the road in front of me at a stop, my speed always dropped for the next mile to about 15mph because the clean air to horrible bus fumes ratio meant my body couldn't perform to its usual level!! ;D

Quote:
Perhaps we should keep our heads down and do it solely for our own benefit, limit the publicity to the club, and everyone is happy.

We don't need to shout it from the roooftops but if it is in the entry froms for events, commented on in the RBRR sponsorhip forms that would do us alot of good.

Now, if it became a big issue the club could then raise the profile of something we are already doing.

Besides, as I said I like trees and the countryside which is why I support the Woodland Trust already but it would be good if we as a club did a collaborative effort.

Martin, Greeks, Theo and others, I appologies if I was over stating my case for Andy and I acknowledge you have moved this debate along.

Martin, I like your next point about keeping it low profile, using it subtly, and I'd add, as a club, learn to live with the idea and get it to work for us. I would be happy to organise whatever scheme we came up.

Tim, how about you report back after raising it at Comittee?

The next Comp Ctte meeting is due for Tuesday 7th Nov.

I will let you know what we come up with. Of course if we are to do something, It would need to be discussed with the Main Ctte. Luckily the next meeting for that organisation is on 13/11.

I will report back, but I think its a great idea. A great way of showing that we as a group are a responsible group and that green issues are important to us.

Anyone any idea of the cost of buying a tree and planting it. The best way would probably be to sponsor a part of a forest or something. Gotta say I like the idea of a some CT members meeting up with someone from either the Forestry Comission or the Woodlands Trust and planting some trees- be nice eh!

Tim, my recommendation would be for CT to consider 'joining' The Woodland Trust, which is basically the charitable arm of the Forestry Commission.

Have a link: http://www.dedicatetrees.com/

(Main site: http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/supportus/index.htm )

I believe if we do this, as with all CT things, we do it properly.  As a club of 1500 odd members it makes sense to dedicate a larger area of woodland than just the odd tree. 

Only 'problem' is the costs start at £250...

But much more in keeping with the size of the club, yes? For £1000 we get 1 acre! It really could be called the 'CT woodland' then. :)

The club wouldn't have to find all the money at once either.  They offer to set up a fund to allow the money to be raised over time.

Have yet another link, you know you want it!: http://www.dedicatetrees.com/SetupAFundInfo.aspx

What do you think? ;D

I like this - £1000 for our own bit of woodland?

Sounds alot to start with but if it can be raised over time it should be easily done.

£5 on the entry fee of the 10CR would generate say 50 cars @£5 = £250.

2008 RBRR 90 cars @ £5, another £450

And I would donate £5 as a "retrospective" top up to my 2006 RBRR entry :)

Had a thought after the last post and nipped out to take a photo of part of my TR7 which summs it up quite nicely really.

In the pic is the fuel filler (!), motorsport paraphanalia with the cut out out switch, RBRR sticker which covers the CT angle and the Woodland Trust sticker too :o

Crikey ;D  there's even trees reflected in the glass ;D

Perhaps add a few quid on to the joining fee? or even the yearly renewal fee?
I truly think this is a fantastic idea!

http://www.carbonfootprint.com is a site which encourages tree planting.
I calculated that on the RBRR 100 cars did 2000 miles, a CT mileage of 200000 miles This equates to 88 trees needing planting to absorb the carbon.

I then considered that on the 10CR 25 cars * 5000 miles = 125000 CT miles.
and on the HCR 25 * 1000 = 25000 CT miles
This is 350000 CT miles every two years, this is 175000 CT miles per year.
Thats 73 trees a year
It's £10 per tree, so £730...

or you could pop down the garden centre and stick one in your back garden?

PS. As a comparisson my girlfirend and I who aren't particularly green, need 6 trees!

"...or you could pop down the garden centre and stick one in your back garden?"

That's very nice for those of us with back gardens, and space for a tree!  Living in a Victorian house I have 10ft of concreted back yard! The average Victorian wasn't big on back gardens for some reason.

Still I've got Friston Forest just down the road, which more than makes up for it. There's some brilliant, environmentally friendly :P, mountain biking through there. ;D

Incidently, planting trees to pay back the planet for the huge fun we have in our cars is all very nice, but realistically how long does it take for a sapling to become big enough to soak in our nasty carbon? I'd have thought at least 10 years before it became 'mature'...

...so that's 2016 before we even start to pay back our dues for the 2006 RBRR! Yikes!

[quote by=Chriss link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160741350,s=73 date=1161274742]Trust BRP to say it all, even though she's been poorly    ;D[/quote]

Hmmm ... the "Woodland Sprint" - could be the name for the car and an event!!!  ;D

Archived