Here is the status update on the GT6.

Bottom line first; The car has been written off.  Estimated cost of repair is £6500.  My Insurance Coverage is for £4000.  Even If I had more coverage, I don't think I would repair it.  Insurance have written off as Catagory "D" which allows the car to be sold or rebuilt and made roadworthy again.  The insurance company has offered the car to me for £1250.

I have not made a decision to keep the car or take all the insurance payout. If someone on this list is interested in purchasing this car from me, please let me know (reply or PM me).  I will be discussing with my insurance company on 12.00hrs on Thursday, October 14.  I would like to provide a direction then.  Any offers for the car above the £1250 I will donate to Mind.  

The car is at Willow Triumph just outside Darlington.  Very odd really, the car is only about 1.5 miles from where the incident occured.  The car's chassis, powertrain, and Bonnet seem be unaffected.  The impact damaged the right rear wing, rear valence, B-pillar, RH door.  The major issue was when the car rolled on it's side, the roof was tweaked along with the hatchback frame and windscreen frame.  

I think with a new body shell, this car could become roadworthy very easily.  If the car were here in the States, I would convert it to a Spit 6 as I have a great early bodyshell to put on it.  Beyond that, the car has some great bit's including new Spax adjustable shocks, Western allow wheels, Newer Moulded Carpet, among others.

Let me know what you think.  I would like to make a decision before noon Thursday and no later than close of business on Friday.  Thanks!!!

Pat

That is a real shame.

I suspect the people most likely to be interested are the French/German/Dutch enthusiasts, both having the wheel on the correct side, and the Euro is still very strong against the pound, it would make it a cheap car to them.

Perhaps a few pm's  to some mainland european forum members to see if they will advertise it's availability on their local forums on your behalf.

It would be a real shame for it to be broken up as it was a very nice car, albeit in need a fair bit of work now.

Cheers

Colin

Pat

That is a real shame.

I suspect the people most likely to be interested are the French/German/Dutch enthusiasts, both having the wheel on the correct side, and the Euro is still very strong against the pound, it would make it a cheap car to them.

Perhaps a few pm's  to some mainland european forum members to see if they will advertise it's availability on their local forums on your behalf.

It would be a real shame for it to be broken up as it was a very nice car, albeit in need a fair bit of work now.

Cheers

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hello
Thought some of you may be interested to know what eventually became of Patrick Barber's GT6.
As you already know it was written off by the insurance company. However as the engineer was a Triumph owner and enthusiast he agreed to my thoughts that the car was repairable and despite the extensive body damage it was classified as Cat D.

Now, this car needed serious work to get it right again. As with any accident, the damage is far more extensive than it first appears.  The roof had basically been pushed across so that the left hand screen pillar was vertical and the right hand pillar had a 30degree slope.  It could have been corrected as a GT6 but was far more viable as a Spitfire 6 conversion.  If the body from the rear edge of the floorpan was detached and replaced with the same from an early Spit then a great little car could have been made.

So the car sat in my storage barn for a month with no word from the insurers or anyone. Having seen good Triumphs go to general scrapyards before I was keen to see that this one went to good use.
When eventually the insurance company called I struck a deal with them.  They wanted to display the crashed car on their stand at the NEC (some of you may have seen it) after which they would return it to me for the agreed price. I agreed to give the car a full valet, remove the glass, mud, blood! and generally make it look good for the stand.   I also provided a very expensive cover to keep it clean on the open truck to Birmingham.

I got a feeling as it was being loaded that I had just been mugged.

An email on the Monday after the show informed me that I was no longer going to get the car back - the MD fancies it to restore. The cover was returned eventually full of holes, and I am still waiting for the cheque from the insurers for a months storage.

Never think an insurance company is looking after anyone but themselves. This lot (Haggerty) have been underhand and dishonest with me from the start.  Hopefully Patrick got his money swiftly, but then that isn't surprising as it was so much below the true value of the car pre accident.

This is a nice car as those of you who saw it on the RBRR will know. I hope it does get restored well. I don't believe the MD has it - more likely all the interest at the show generated a higher bid.

Good luck to whoever has it!

Tim
Willow Triumph

I had my insurance renewed by a well advertised insurance company hint hint while I was in hospital and the £60 was taken from my standing order bank account. I got a letter and 2 emails say that I must fill in my mileage form and 5 photos ASAP or
the policy would be cancelled  :-/
I was in no position to read the emails or even take photos so I rang them and  explained they said they would give me a few more days which did'nt help and they cancelled my insurance then sent me a letter telling me there would be no refund as there was none left after their and their  underwriters costs were deducted.
Plus I now have had a policy cancelled which I must declare to any other insurance company nice hey :-/

that is ridiculous - with my Peter James policies, in a similar situation, the only implication is that the vehicle would only be insured at "market value" until the paperwrok/photos to support the "agreed value" are sent.

If I were in your shoes, I would be writing a strong letter of complaint to the insurance ombudsman   :(

It was ?drian  ?lux Insurance  and I even told them car was SORN and off the road in my garage and would be until June 2011 and could I put the insurance on hold until then. Answer was we have cancelled your insurance because you have not returned documents. Told them I was unable to take photos and sign forms as I had two broken wrists and was lying in a hospital bed but no joy. :(

Hugh

Please give them some grief. The fact you have had a policy cancelled will come back to haunt you for many years, and will no doubt increase yiur premiums.

Did you insure with them via any club scheme??

I may be able to obtain you the name of a friendly contact to discuss it with if required.

Cheers

Colin

"Message from the moderator team:
We were concerned about (Willow) Tim's original post, and have had contact from Heggarty regarding the matter. We have been unsuccessful in our attempts to make contact with Tim though.
Heggarty have said that there was a misunderstanding about Tim handling the sale of the salvage, and they have spoken to him and have confirmed that they will be covering all his costs associated with the claim. In addition they are adding Willow to their network of repairers.

We hope that this is an amicable end to the story"

thescrapman wrote:
Hugh

Please give them some grief. The fact you have had a policy cancelled will come back to haunt you for many years, and will no doubt increase yiur premiums.

Did you insure with them via any club scheme??

I may be able to obtain you the name of a friendly contact to discuss it with if required.

Cheers

Ok I took your advice and rang Flux and after I explained to them they spoke to the underwriter who has confirmed that I am on no data list and that boh  they and Flux will be happy to insure me with a new policy next June with no loading.But no refund still a result
Thanks Colin for your advice

Colin
Hi Colin I went through club CT scheme I was insured with them last year and it was just a renew I thought it seems the real sticking point with them was the mileage form which I could not sign and return, My wife had a lot to deal with not only with me but the kids, house, work, etc I told the insurance this but no joy :(

Hugh: No hijacking as we see.  Insurance is a tough issue and we all have had a go at them at time.   Please note the Pat was taken care of right away and he has no issues or has he had any with the company.   Problem was only with Willow and we beleive this has been settled.  

Goody wrote:
Hugh: No hijacking as we see.  Insurance is a tough issue and we all have had a go at them at time.   Please note the Pat was taken care of right away and he has no issues or has he had any with the company.   Problem was only with Willow and we beleive this has been settled.  

Thanks Goody good to hear that Pat is sorted out
Kind Regards Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I've been meaning to post a follow up sooner. Sorry for the delay.
Well you could have knocked me down with a feather as the phrase goes.
I recieved a phone call very shortly after posting my little rant (it was a bad week!) from a representative of Haggerty - basically apologising for the misunderstanding and assuring me that this wasn't an acceptable situation.
It would seem that I had been dealing with a sub-contractor of sorts who didn't really have the authority to make the agreement.
I was assured that the car is being restored and will see the road again and also that I will be reimbursed for the damaged cover.

I think I was more annoyed at my own foolishness in the first place, but having recieved the phone call I was amazed that my post had been read and recieved by someone who cared enough to do something about it.

So a big tick for Haggerty after all.

Still would have enjoyed building that car!

Tim
Willow Triumph

Not sure why the club couldn't get in touch - wrong number?
It's all on www.willowtriumph.com  

Just goes to show the power a 'little' forum can have, Tim!

I was taught in my first ever job, and it has stuck with me ever since: you please someone they might tell a few people, you annoy someone, they'll tell everyone they possibly can.

Haggerty clearly understand this business premise and have done right by you, and good for them. :)

Archived