Anyone care to mention the moment that they enjoyed the most over the weekend's motoring?

Only one as it must be the BEST one!

Mine: Sitting in the side seat listening to my Ipod that was on shuffle play and was playing 'A Northern Soul' by The Verve as Dave was (finally) giving the car some stick following Dale Barker in his Harold and Laurence Jones in his TR6. I was totally knackered at this point and the road lights and (road) speed started to blur/dance about, it was a trip! Think we were near Manchester, also memorable as a very pretty girl out with her fella in his (I Suppose) Mitsubshi drove past smiling away and giving us the thumbs up-good girl!

A bit of a mindblast as I usually get bored rigid by motorways.

Dave admitted to me that later on over the weekend, that the saloon gets better at higher speeds, when I say higher speeds I mean 70mph, of course!

Single moment? Difficult...

Looking immediately down onto the River Naver as we left Invernaver behind to see a beautiful adult Stag fording the river in spate. The proximity and majesty of the beast amid the simply awesome scenary mixed in with the incredible palette of colours of the landscape and sky: quite moving. :)

Driving wise, it was just an absolute pleasure to witness first-hand Roy's sheer joyful exuberance and skill in respectfully wringing the very life out of his car: thanks mate :)

As an RBRR virgin the whole thing was a high for me.
   But,like Tim, the best driving moment was the blast from Tebay to Gledrid,-the section was driven at pace but always imho
  with consideration and sense toward other road users and fellow RBRRs. I never realised Heralds were so quick until i came accross Dales!,-must be a pretty special engine under the hood
   One of the big +s for me is that CT members are real enthusiasts for the Triumph marque and are prepared to drive them hard and at the risk of getting them dirty. The reality is that within other clubs the emphasis is more on polishing than out and out driving,-i know what i enjoy most..,
  cheers,
    Laurence,-entry 63

I've now done 5 round britains 3 in my spitfire.....this one was different.
The weather just made it so different we did so much with the roof down.....I worked it out at about 1020 miles give or take a bit.
If it was worked out in time it was probably more than 60% of the run.....all done in a car that I felt like giving up on last week when everything was going wrong.
The people were the greatest...all of them!
The amount of people that wished me well knowing what I went through just days before really was unbelievable!

So the answer to whats my best bit.....getting to the end and the worse problem on the entire run was a broken headlight when a mk1 saloon driver flicked a rock up ;D mentioning no names ;).....although I did have  a lot of fun following Doug Thompson down from JOG  ;D

following the courier van through the locks and glens of Scotland at a 'sensible pace' that was one of the best bits of driving I have ever witnessed. I was pleased that the PI kept up most of the time despite the misfire. Who needs pro plus when you have adrenaline, blind corners and passing points!

Doug I really enjoyed it...I said to Matt if the worse that happens is a broken headlight I'll be more than happy!
Guess I'm more than happy then! 8)
As for the Crask inn what an experience....its like someones living room with a bar in it!

So many amazing moments. The A9 to John O Groats is always a highlight for me. Also seeing a huge Stag cross the road right in front of us on the Loch Naver section then watching it dissapear into the wilderness was another highlight.

Also the little windy road on the approach to Sixpenny Handley! Awesome series of 90 degree bends uphill - great fun in the Grinnall, nearly went back for a second go! My old man enjoyed GlenCoe, Wales and the dash through Forest of Dean.

For me?

Having done the RBRR I volunteered to `put something back in to the game` and marshalled at Blyth and Tebay

The classic car mag reporter/editor said to me " I really enjoyed this evening and Ive been so impressed with the organisation and checkpoint arrangements that I would love to come again"
He went away like a kid with a new toy at Christmas

.....anybody want to do it again next week ?? ;D  

michael_charlton wrote:
For me?

Having done the RBRR I volunteered to `put something back in to the game` and marshalled at Blyth and Tebay

The classic car mag reporter/editor said to me " I really enjoyed this evening and Ive been so impressed with the organisation and checkpoint arrangements that I would love to come again"
He went away like a kid with a new toy at Christmas

.....anybody want to do it again next week ?? ;D  

I cant do next week I'm sleeping but maybe the following week?

taffs2win wrote:
Getting Matt's car back on the road at Lauder with help of a replacement half shaft courtesy of Mark Bland.  As 1 hour earlier I had the sinking feeling my first RBRR event was over.

Sunrise at Land's End.

Just heard about the local help you received at some un-earthly hour in the morning when fixing your car - providing tools and refreshment while you replaced the drive shaft.  That is really impressive and completely unexpected.

Also - I'm glad the drive shaft came in useful - made it worthwhile lugging all those spares around  ;D

Mark

Could it be this arrival at John o'Groats?

Naaa,

I think the best moment of all was the trip out of Sugar Loaf - we had a crappy trip down into Wales, the car wouldn't behave at anything under 3000 revs and wouldn't tick over at anything less that 2000! However the twisty roads demanded full use of the rev range although the fog and dark demanded caution. Nigel was knackered, I was knackered, the car was crap and we were almost out of ideas. Yet from this low point we somehow managed to pull a little belter. We changed the plugs (it was not tthe plugs but we were desperate) and spent an hour tuning and fiddling with linkages to get the engine running better - as we left it was clear that the gods were smiling on us again and so, as a tribute to those gods, I thrashed the doors of the TR and drove it hard - that was a great feeling and just goes to show, never surrender, never give up and always balance your butterflies.

Driving to Sugar Loaf (seems to be a common theme).

We were behind so I was chipping along after Gledrid and caught up a slow Dolomite (it's ok, I've mocked the owner of the car to their face). I whizzed passed it on the exit of a round-a-bout and had my foot down again. We caught up Willi driving his TR5 and noticed there were two big saloons in front of him. Everyone was driving perfectly with lots of space between cars, not too fast and certainly not too slow. I could watch the car in front of Willi and match my driving to his whilst giving enough space for the TR5 to do the same. Then slowly a stream of cars caught us up and in the end I think there were eight of us chipping along nicely and no-one was pushing things, it was all nice and smooth. Willi stopped to look for the TR7 drivers at a round-a-bout before a town and ended up behind us again and the whole thing started over all the way to Sugar Loaf. Bloody excellent.

6780 wrote:
The reality is that within other clubs the emphasis is more on polishing than out and out driving,-i know what i enjoy most..,
  cheers,
    Laurence,-entry 63

Laurence

Some members like polishing more than driving... But they did do it in an Acclaims... :-)

They also like wearing dresses, but that is an entirely different matter  ??)

thescrapman wrote:

They also like wearing dresses, but that is an entirely different matter  ??)

Let's hope we don't have to go there again! ;D

I enjoyed allof it, the hairpin bends near Sixpenny Handley were quite special and Wales is always great, this year Amanda called out the bend severity off the SatNav while I swung the helm!
But getting to the finish without any problems and completing another RBRR with my Dad takes some beating.

Colin.