Thanks for posting progress report VR, looking forward to updates.

Where is there a list of numbers attached to the names or usernames of the crew members so distant followers, like myself, can identify how particular blokes are doing?
Very interested in how Saltddirk is going after his marathon effort to get there.

Mal.

as one of the cars that didn't start ..no 116 ..it was a bit weird driving the car on the tow truck and driving it off again....don't know what the issue is ,..but would only run for a couple of hundred yard before dieing ????not amused

michael_charlton wrote:
First checkpoint Blyth:

Non starters 114/116
Late runners due to mechanical faults 37/63
Retirements 72 and 81

Then a serious accident on the A1M held everyone up for a long time

Raining at Carter Bar and runners just arriving

Is 81 Tim B car? That bad luck anyone know what happened?

mike

Oil starvation at rocker gear, middle rockers: no.s 4 to 8 no oil at all, all went blue and extremely hot. Valves not working well, and car sounding like a Ducati!

First retirement, but sad.  

Only two retirements so far, brilliant though. Understand that A1 had serious road work issues plus the bad accident, also serious rain on A roads past A1 meant cars all struggling with times.

I will be at the finish etc.

Go Go GO RBRRers!

Like an idiot, I took off the rocker oil feed kit the other day. Guess the problem has been there for some time, but masked by oil feed's extra supply.

Bit worried that the valve guides may be damaged?

Gonna stick the oil feed on and see how she looks. But def. off with the head and sort issue out. Engine tired now, so will look into re-building the mk2 Vitesse short engine I have; Nothing to wild, though, same build as present engine: TH5 cam, lightened and balanced crank and rods, baffled sump and my head that is a good one-new guides though??

We had a night of it:
Problem A: Electric fan did'nt work in queue for A10 jct in Enfield, engine got very hot, bodged it.
Problem B: Stopped for 45 mins to sort out electric fan on the A1198
Problem C: Rocker issue, spent 1.5hrs attempting to solve, to no avail. Game over.

Co-driver James Cooper worked like a trojan, good lad is James.

Bit fed up as next time would have been my 10th RBRR completion (hopefully) and would have tied in with 50th Anniversary of the RBRR.

Anyway, I do hope that the entrants do not experience problems and that all crews get around the route, safely with fun.

So far stand out crews are the Renown team, the mk2 Spittie team, the two ex-work Vitesse teams (plus worksalikes) and Chats who has been having issues.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Oil starvation at rocker gear, middle rockers: no.s 4 to 8 no oil at all, all went blue and extremely hot. Valves not working well, and car sounding like a Ducati!

First retirement, but sad.  

Only two retirements so far, brilliant though. Understand that A1 had serious road work issues plus the bad accident, also serious rain on A roads past A1 meant cars all struggling with times.

I will be at the finish etc.

Go Go GO RBRRers!

Glad you are back OK...felt gutted for you in Blyth Services car park............and having to put up with the locals ,who had obviously not been missed from the local institution (dizzy)

timbancroft61 wrote:
Mike,

Massive thanks to you, Paul Darbyshire, Andy Flexney and Willi Mindak. Help received was most welcome.

Also, RallySpit, thanks Mike, again help beyond the bounds of what one can expect.

True CT members who exhibit the right credentials.

Tim
rotten luck....
Had the same problem with my GT6, took the external pipe off and 2 days later the rocker shaft seized. When I looked the rocker shaft pillar was it was catching on a head bolt (too long) and so the original feed up the pillar was leaking. With the external pipe it could cope without it not enough oil flowed into the rocker shaft and you know what happens next...
Really sorry for you. Was doing to come down to the start but was still at work and tomorrow I wil be in Aberdeen. But its great following it on the forum, Fb and blog!

all the best
mike

So, trying to establish the road conditions for the A1 London to Carter Bar, so I could post on the forum where road closures/problems would be, I sent an email days ago to The Highways Agency making that inquiry.
First I got an answer back saying they could"take up to 15 days to give an answer" then this afternoon I got another email saying "I should ring xxxxxxxxx" to make the same inquiry
Why didn`t they send the second message first.................then I may have got a sensible answer to help RBR runners

Prior to Conon Bridge the retirements we knew about were 28, 50, 72, 81, 111, 116 and 119.

The only other cars we didn't see at Conon Bridge were 5 and 84.

The Renown was running about an hour late. Suffering from a minor fuel leak but was running OK otherwise. They must have taken the A9 south rather than the run through Glencoe to save time cause I saw them turning into Broxden Services at about 5.30pm on my way home.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Oil starvation at rocker gear, middle rockers: no.s 4 to 8 no oil at all, all went blue and extremely hot. Valves not working well, and car sounding like a Ducati

Same problem I had in 2010 in the mk1 pi estate, difference was the screw at the end of the rocker shaft came undone, the shaft then turned so no oil to rockers until seized and running on 5 cyl. End of run and recovery back

Cheers Andy

lagerzok wrote:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Car 118 now running like a train on M5 - problem? Blocked air filter!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He was having issues at the start — I was helping him out with a timing gun

Shame regards the retirements — especially Tim's

hypoid53 wrote:
I have just seen (12.20pm) two convoys of Triumphs go through Holsworthy, Devon on the A3072, en-route to the A30 at Okehampton presumably. a magnificent sight in the autumn sunshine! The two works Vitesse's were particularly magnificent. 8)

No they were at the Oke control at 05.00 this morning.  :)