Ted,

The A466, Monmouth to Chepstow road. Unfortunately the timings are always dead unsociable, being something like Sunday morning at 02.15 at Monmouth through to 03.00 at the Severn Bridge!

Be great to see you, however I think you might be forgiven if you'd rather be asleep!

Cars are due at Easton Goprdano at 03.20ish, inevitable some cars will arrive earlier. Most crews have the RBRR one thousand yard stare on when they get to Gordano, the cafe there is full of dishevelled RBRRers! Its a 45min halt, so always something going on as one or two cars need some quick work.

The next section from EG to Lands End is always the bad one when the need to sleep really hits home. Makes one wonder how the hell the World Cup Rally crews in 1970 managed!!!

After last time, we're breaking it down to 3 shifts of just over an hour each.

Gordano to Exeter, Exeter to Indian Queens and then Indian Queens to the breakfast halt via Land's End.

No point trying it all in one go when you're both really knackered.

There's plenty of places to stop and swap drivers on the way down.

No disgrace in swapping drivers if you're tired.

A big disgrace if you fall asleep at the wheel and fall off the road, or worse......

Jim.

timbancroft61 wrote:
The A466, Monmouth to Chepstow road. Unfortunately the timings are always dead unsociable, being something like Sunday morning at 02.15 at Monmouth through to 03.00 at the Severn Bridge!

Thanks for this info Tim.  The A466 - know it well and in part is a route that the missus takes to work (and I have taken her in the PI or the World Cup car on occasions).  From Monmouth following the Wye valley through past Tintern Abbey to Chepstow - in one travel book this stretch of road was recently declared on of the most beautiful drives in Britain ...... and you will be doing it in the dark :(

I will try to be up and to see you en route (will use the World Cup/Team Thailand Landcrab or the PI if I do) though with the cost of Severn Bridge tolls for the return trip (toll free going from Wales to England) I will probably not be going to the Gordano stop.

Early hours of the morning  :-/ and we have to take an elderly lady of 89 to take to a sheepdog trial about 20 miles from Monmouth for 9.00am - its the first of the Nursery Trial season and we can't let her down.  Looks as though I'll be sleeping through much of it ....... and despite how it sounds I do find watching the dogs work great relaxation.  A better alternative to hitting one of my cars that I am working on violently with a hammer in frustration because the job is not going well.(whistle)

Obviously if there is any help required in please ask.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...

Probably too late for confirming this but I intend to be in the opening of the Lidl car park at Monmouth with my Team Thailand Landcrab.

I would presume the route being taken will be to turn left at Monmouth on the A40 (a dual carriageway) at the traffic lights that take you over the bridge over the Wye.  
after a few hundred yards when you have just cleared the bridge there is a mini roundabout where you turn right to go to Chepstow on the A466.

Lidl will be staring at you as you turn right at the roundabout and the car park entrance actually on the A466.  If this is not the route I won't see anyone............ :-/

I am advised there is good street lighting all night so I will be visible ..... my car is blue with white roof and bonnet ........... and with 'Team Thailand' written down the side ....... strange to relate! ;D

Yogi and Tim - if you get a chance for a stop will be great to have a few words and anyone else who needs a break.  You will still be nearly an hour and a half from the Gorgano services.

I will see if I can get hold of the manager of Lidl to let him know what I am doing in case he thinks there is a mad Forester hanging around doing something silly - well probably I am but less said about that the better!

Ted

1526 wrote:

Early hours of the morning  :-/ and we have to take an elderly lady of 89 to take to a sheepdog trial about 20 miles from Monmouth for 9.00am - its the first of the Nursery Trial season and we can't let her down.  
Ted

Blimey Ted, just how long do sheepdogs live round there?    ;)

About 36 inches nose to tail based upon my oldest dog who is 11 years old (I have just measured him for your benefit).  My earlier dogs when they died were all about this as well.

The trial date has been changed to Saturday.  Might even have enough energy after my early morning start to do some jobs on the PI later though it looks as though the weather is going to p*ss down on Sunday and the car is outside under a cover at the moment.

Ted 8)

Caroline wrote:
Oh I wondered who the lunatic was! ;) I thought I was hallucinating at that point and that was before the random fog in Tintern.

Well I do live in the Forest of Dean and while a great place to live (as those who did the Register's National last year found) it does have an effect on you ..... like dreaming up WCR40 ......
>:(

Ted

Hello Ted, it was good to see you there and put faces to the names on here. I've attatched a pic of our cars together. If I had the time/space/money I would definiteley get myself a decent Landcrab. I used to surprise an awful lot of people with my 18/85S. The 1800 in S form was better than the 2200 in my opinion. Mine was an auto but the kickdown was awesome and it really flew. I had a set of Rover SD1 alloys to make it go round corners. Great car.

Thanks for the pic Yogi, and good to have a chat.

Yes I have the best of both worlds - a collection of Triumphs, and a couple of Landcrabs though the Team Thailand car must be sold to fund the rebuild of my other Landcrab, my Mk1, and my estate/PI conversion rebuild.  Its the problem of having to retire earlier than intended to avoid explaining to the fuzz that my bosses dodgy dealing were nothing to do with me(shhh)

Ted

Archived