Thanks Caroline, my car doesn't like hills either. If I see a hill coming up I take a good run up and as long as I have plenty of revs it keeps going but as soon as the revs drop it doesn't want to know especially with three people and a boot full of spares. It likes revving, maximum power is at 6000 rpm and I've had the engine balanced so it feels really happy at those speeds. essential really with such low gearing. Anyway I'm glad I made a good impression!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Still buzzing after the A483 Newtown to Crossgates section, bloomin marvellous.

Also of course the Altanharra and Crask Inn section.

I thought the route was top draw.

Totally agree. I would be happy to do the same route in 2012. Jo did the A483 section, and was enjoying chucking the tango-mobile around. I did some of the Crask section, and as always, it did not disappoint, especially with sunshine this year.

yogi wrote:

I modified that section a little and I think it worked really well. I used to keep my bus round that way so have a little local knowledge. I looked at the route book and thought why are we taking such a convoluted route to get to the B4009 at Chinnor when you could pick it up just outside Wallingford and take it all the way to the A41. Much closer and easier to get to than the suggested route and completely free of traffic. Apart from a few more speed bumps having appeared since I last went that way it worked well.

We passed the mk1 rally car heading south on the A34 while we were on our way to Didcot. He was obviously going the motorway route and was probably half an hour ahead of us at Didcot but followed us in to The Plough so I'm sure we did the right thing. If anyone wants details of the route I took ask me again in a couple of years!

Yep we were in a quandary as to which would be the quickest most stress free way and took a punt on the A34 M4 etc but was pants so ducked off and went through Slough! then towards watford and ducked onto the M25 just after the road works -Yogi send Tim your route it sounds a winner!

[quote=GT6_Or the A466 to chepstow, in the fog, twisty tight overgrown tree roads. Mega.

You did it in the dark ...... in the daylight it is a really lovely drive (dance).  Perhaps we could organise a drive to include this road and other things in the Forest of Dean at sometime - and include the T2000/2500/2.5 Register and Landcrab owners if anyone is interested.

Ted

Great route, great stops so no complaints at all. Using the M25 for the final leg seemed quite apt with the slowest part of the whole journey on the most modern roads, but since it is part of daily driving in the UK I think it should be kept in the route :)

I went Yogi's route, but also included going onto Watlington and then up to the M40 via Lewknor (Watlington is a difficult town for 100 or so cars to pass through owing to the traffic width restrictions).
That last section is a real difficult one. I am thinking of asking the TR Reg to run the last Control, but move it away from Didcot, the River Thames and railway lines make that location difficult to get away from.

I'd love to go back to Goodwood!

Thats the thing about the RBRR, so many roads to use and so little time to drive them!

I wasn't keen on Goodwood - a big empty windswept car park that could have been anywhere, nowhere with refreshments and a long walk to the loos. I seem to remember driving some nice lanes to get to it though.

The welcome and hospitality from the TR guys was much appreciated.

car 49 The Maiden.

all control stops good. Excellent at pimperne and our all too brief stop at badgers holt.
a definite improvement with Scorrier.  hope we can go back there in 2012.
skiach a welcome addition and just right for the driver change point.
sugar loaf good fun to drive to and from  . Well done to Nigel abdullah here.
lancaster ok - seems to be  where help and parts swaps keep happening so m -way  service area is a good rendevous...

I did the A1 north friday evening, ans saw at least 10 others.
excellent weather saturday with good sunrise. The (Nottingham mafia) planned stop 5A at Loch Naver with cheese board and grapes went well with 6 ish other cars pulling over to partake of cracker or two.
Bodmin moor in the rain was grim.
excellent drives in convoy at various points with Tom Key, James sHAckford, nigel Gair, Doug Thompson, keith dandridge, The Johnsons Stag, Keith Bennett,  and a host of others.

all in all another quality CT production.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Goodwood in 2006 wasn't good. Everntually after some wandering and wondering I found a tea place but they were closing and the prospect of making 100 cups of tea didn't keep them open. It was a pretty soulless place at that time of day, really just a car park.

timbancroft61 wrote:
I went Yogi's route, but also included going onto Watlington and then up to the M40 via Lewknor (Watlington is a difficult town for 100 or so cars to pass through owing to the traffic width restrictions).
That last section is a real difficult one. I am thinking of asking the TR Reg to run the last Control, but move it away from Didcot, the River Thames and railway lines make that location difficult to get away from.

Thats the thing about the RBRR, so many roads to use and so little time to drive them!

Hi Tim,

Yes Watlington is a bit narrow and to be honest Wallingford might be a problem as it has traffic light controlled single line working on the bridge over the Thames (and is also where the new speed bumps have appeared) but it's very picturesqe and I reckon by this point we're so spread out it wont really be an issue, there were only four or five cars at the Didcot control when we arrived. I would certainly go the same way next time but I can see why the organisers might not want to put it in the book. If we use the same stops next time I'll give you the details and you can see what you think.

1526 wrote:

You did it in the dark ...... in the daylight it is a really lovely drive (dance).  Perhaps we could organise a drive to include this road and other things in the Forest of Dean at sometime - and include the T2000/2500/2.5 Register and Landcrab owners if anyone is interested.

Ted

I did it in my Wolseley a few years ago and can vouch for that. We found a little side road that seemed to go straight up the side of the valley (first gear in the auto) with spectacular views from the top. Don't know if I could find it again and really doubt it would be suitable for a convoy but I'm sure you could russel up something with your local knowledge Ted.

Archived