What were your favourite bits?

Sugar loaf to Chepstow sticks in my mind. From Glendrid I was driving and Sam was sleeping, We caught up with a group of 4 cars, a Herald a Dolly and couple of 2000s (I think) and we stayed behind them, before long another convoy of cars joined us from behind and I was in the middle of a group of 20 cars. This went on for quite a while and I was feeling really rough and just cruising along in 'graveyard shift' mode. Then for some reason the Herald turned off into a farm yard (to change drivers maybe) the others car in front slowed down (perhaps thinking that this was the control) it was straight bit of road so I went past.
A few miles down the road I saw the CT banners and pulled into the control and saw Nigel, there were no other cars there so got straight through and left just as the others were arriving. From then on we had the road to ourselves for mile after mile of fast straight roads, sweeping bends all the lights on and no other traffic to be seen!
Top marks again for the fantastic route Nigel!

K

I have various images that keep replaying in my mind, most of them being the Scottish highlands.

Some roads we could drive for miles and miles with only sheep for company. Eventually though he got a bit restless so we had to let him out! ;D

Seriously though, I didn't even know you could find places like that in this country! Fantastic route all the way through really. Hope 2012 is the same.  :)

Best bit???

The sleep bewtween Sugar Loaf and Lands End for me!

And for Mike it would be the sleep between Stirling and Sugar Loaf... :-)

Actually the best bits for Darren and I was when Mike was asleep, because he couldn't see what we were doing...  ;D

I enjoyed Blythe to Edinborough last time, so bagged it for this time, and I wasn't disappointed.

JOG to Conon Bridge was good for me as well, shame it wasn't for the sprints rear ARB. I think the rear shocker was getting weak at that point.

Cheers

Colin

sun coming up on the way into JOG - wake up to find stunning views and Steve being a hooligan in my car  :)

JOG to Conon Bridge - what a road, cant think why we turn up first at Conon Bridge (whistle)

Sugar loaf out of Wales - think I may need to talk to someone about my competiveness/need to be first (evil)

trigger wrote:

sun coming up on the way into JOG - wake up to find stunning views and Steve being a hooligan in my car  :)

JOG to Conon Bridge - what a road, cant think why we turn up first at Conon Bridge (whistle)

Sugar loaf out of Wales - think I may need to talk to someone about my competiveness/need to be first (evil)

Err, talk to the organisers(naughty)

We've got to keep a lid on some of the exuberant driving or we will receive the unwanted attentions of the plod or worse, the  'elf n Safety numpties. Having witnessed some alternative styles of driving I can safely say some of us do need to think a little more - oncoming traffic isn't flashing because they like that last minute overtaking move, they're flashing coz they've just soiled themselves! It's not all bad news though, I saw some good defensive driving when Joe Public aka Mr Magoo tried to commit suicide on more than one occasion.

We all like a bit of "making progress" and I dare say we've all "pressed on" a little so don't take this as a telling off, just a gentle reminder - it's not a race afterall, if you're first you're sat around wasting time for the control to open.

Thanks Nigel....
Saw roads never seen before
Best ? JOG to Crask , HCR in reverse....Oh and across Dartmoor where some t.t tried to attract a pony from across the road with some food.......whilst I went past
Also the old ones are the better......saw a guy on a bike at Dounrey he was so slow peddaling past the nuclear reactors his bike turned into a tandem , .......  ;D  

Skiatch to J0G as the sun came up 8). Tootlin' along nicely with James in his lovely mk1 saloon.
Wales- what a blast! Blue TR3 with toast rack gave good sport- driven fast and well. The drive to Bude with the Iron Maiden. Bude to Dartmeet, phew!
Keith's driving is on another level, being sat next to him and watching him drive is a treat in itself :)!

GT6boy wrote:
Skiatch to J0G as the sun came up 8). Tootlin' along nicely with James in his lovely mk1 saloon.
Wales- what a blast! Blue TR3 with toast rack gave good sport- driven fast and well. The drive to Bude with the Iron Maiden. Bude to Dartmeet, phew!
Keith's driving is on another level, being sat next to him and watching him drive is a treat in itself :)!

Bude is now on my top ten hate list as a Nissan (Datsun) nearly wiped me out with his stupid driving
PS .......along with Wales as their Police force sat hiding ...........they pulled local boy racers as we wnt by and for a horrible moment I thought they had me

I very much liked Bude. I am clearly getting old as I loved the constant stopping for tea and cake on Sunday! I was seriously impressed at the turnout of well wishers and cake bakers and tea makers. I heard one local/ tourist/ non driver saying to his friend that he liked the cars and wondered where they'd come from. Made me chuckle thinking of the answer to that one! The road to Bude and down to Dartmeet was great too. Please keep that. I'd vote Bude "stop of the run" this year. Pimperne also gets a highly commended for not rationing the cakes this year!

I've never driven Wales before on an RBRR. It was a good route, and almost as entertaining watching the nightlife as it was at Lancaster 2 years ago. That kebab shop was doing a roaring trade in Builth Wells! I'm glad someone invested in those cats eyes though. Newtown to Crossroads without those would have been seriously slower. Later I got completely spooked out driving around Tintern near the Abbey. I was seeing fog and people jumping out of trees and all sorts before I decided to stop driving and sleep.

thescrapman wrote:

It's Ok Steve, I missed it as well.

OK there were no mountains or valleys, but there was Didcot Power station.

It was also quicker taking the back roads than doing the M40 and M25.

Cheers

Colin

Oh right! I thought it was because a lot of people might not have bothered with the last section and jumped straight on the M40 instead. We saw two cars that did that.  :)

We thought about doing that I must admit as severe 'knackeredness' was setting in by then, but then after what we had achieved already, we thought that we would just be letting ourselves down. It would have almost felt like cheating in a weird sort of way.  :-/

Overheard in petrol station at Blyth, non-RBRR customer to attendant at Till: "you don't see many of those around?".
Attendant to customer: "they come through here every 2 years- I don't know where they come from, or where they're going!" ;D
I meant to put it on the message board, but forgot.

Post Pimperne- the high chalk downs were marvellous to spin across( 8)), after the unavoidable hell that was the trip from the M5 to Pimperne.

I enjoyed Bill driving to John O Groats - the Stags were slowing him down. And James in his saloon too! For me the best bit of driving I did was to Sugar Loaf to Gordano. DolllyRoo has sealed beams with one pointing left and the other pointing up. I was driving using The Force - might as well turned them off. ;D

Won't forget driving to Pimperne either. Bit of fun with Bob King and Nigel Gair but I don't think any of us were trying very hard so we kept a nice clean and very safe pace. All very civilised and enjoyable. :)

timbancroft61 wrote:
One thing is for sure, we have to sort out a new route from Didcot to The Plough.

I modified that section a little and I think it worked really well. I used to keep my bus round that way so have a little local knowledge. I looked at the route book and thought why are we taking such a convoluted route to get to the B4009 at Chinnor when you could pick it up just outside Wallingford and take it all the way to the A41. Much closer and easier to get to than the suggested route and completely free of traffic. Apart from a few more speed bumps having appeared since I last went that way it worked well.

We passed the mk1 rally car heading south on the A34 while we were on our way to Didcot. He was obviously going the motorway route and was probably half an hour ahead of us at Didcot but followed us in to The Plough so I'm sure we did the right thing. If anyone wants details of the route I took ask me again in a couple of years!

You completely got me on those hills somewhere on Sunday Yogi. The 1335 Triomatic Acclaim was struggling. Unless I was doing 70mph downhill with a tailwind and dropped into second at the bottom with my foot on the floor I couldn't get to the top of the next hill without dropping to about 50mph. Being overtaken by your 1300 though: oh dear, I had to laugh! You were going like the clappers.

Archived