Not sure about this.

I have a programme of 'events' for the organisation of the RBRR. When would you want them? Not sure about having cars running around too long before the event all stickered up?

I can see a few snags: car changes just before the event, postal losses etc.

This might sound abit lame, but you may have noticed that we have kept the entry cost the same as 2006-great value eh! Now to do this I have had to make some savings, e.g starting the event at 18.30 instead of 19.00, this will mean that I do not have to spend £100 hiring lighting equipment for the start line.

To send the stickers out will cost someting like £0.70 per crew plus envelopes = £100.00. Now it is true that we have abit of extra money available as we have 120no. entrants, but the event is run fairly close to the bone.

I will give this some thought and discuss with James, Jason and Nigel.

Must say that I sort of like getting the start pack at the Drivers Meetings.

Why do you need them so far in advance? Two weeks or so is surely enough time to stick them on - they only take 10 minutes - you can do them when you get to The Plough - that's when I do mine (or not - as usually it's a drive-thru affair)

Interesting points.   There's three aspects to this I suppose.

1)
two weeks before is plenty of time in terms of preparation for the event, so I agree with James from that point of view.

2)
the main reason I started this thread is the because some of the crews may find it very difficult to go about the fund raising side of the event, especially myself!  From my own experience, although I very much support the concept of the charitable status of the event, I do find the fundraising extremely hard work, outside of close family and friends. The stickers do seem to generate a lot of public interest for those last 2 weeks before the start and I've had quite a few 'on the spot' donations over a chat in a car park!  I was thinking of may be getting the stickers two months before and not two weeks, to help the fundraising effort a bit. if they were available from the club, perhaps individual members could apply to have them early in exchange for the postage cost. Alternatively, could at least some of them be distributed via the local groups?

I do like the idea of some events to draw attention to the RBRR, especially if that means possible donations to individual teams.

3)
Clearly from the number of entries a lot of people are very proud to be part of the club and the RBRR is particular. I have a small RBRR sticker on the windscreen but it's not that visible really and can't been seen as you drive along. I was also thinking that the RBRR stickers would allow members to advertise the club and what we do more overtly. In hindsight, may be the better way would be to have some sort of more prominent RBRR window sticker or badge that could be sold via the club shop and permanently displayed on the members car. Perhaps something like those old RAC badges where you used to be able to get a numbered insert that displayed years you had been a member (or number of times you had done the RBRR!).

All good food for thought ....

Nick J.  

I can see both points of view, yes its agood idea to have some sort of large advert to attract people to give to the charity etc, i managedto get Derek Pollck to let me have the stickers early a few years ago so that i could do a photo shoot with alocal garage it raised an extra £400 so it was worth while.
But on the other hand i can see where Tim is comming from with regards to costs etc.

Good points Nick.

There may be a half way solution - there are of course two stickers - for the event and for the charity.

I'm not sure about issuing RBRR stickers early because they are "event" stickers - I see them as rally plates in a way. You don't stick those on before the event - they are for people taking part and driving the thing.

However I see no reason why you couldn't have some RNLI Lifeboat stickers.

These say something along the lines of "Club Triumph RBRR08 are supporting the Lifeboats" with the main emphasis on Lifeboats.

We could conceivably issue these out before the start of summer - I'm sure there would be an efficient way of doing so.

Your concerns run parallel with mine regards t-shirts - we need something that says what everyone is doing a long time before the event to get the message out to a wider audience. It helps the charity and also the Club.

James,
Last time (my first time), I was proud of how much was given in local donations, almost entirely from people at my workplace.  But BLISS is a medical charity, and a large proportion of people working in hospital are women who will have an especial sympathy for small infants (sexist alert!), so I was onto a winner.    I will have to work harder this time around.
Making explanatory posters was one way I raised interest, because they do need to be angled to the locality.  It was fairly easy with PhotoDraw, a printer and access to a photocopier that could expand A4 to A3. (Thank you, dept. office!)  If you would publish on the 'Net copies of the 2008 RBRR logo, the RNLI logo and some 'fascinating facts' about both, it would save a lot of schlepping around the 'Net looking for same.

John

I'd love my car stickered up before the event as I think it'll help raise some money. Either through people asking me what the stickers mean or by going to places and saying "it'll look like this".

My only concerns are if I have to swap cars before the event. How easily do the stickers come off and can they be used again? I don't mind damaging the paint taking them off after the event but for some reason don't want to do that before hand. Don't ask, I don't understand it myself. And also if the stickers will fade in the sun during the summer.

Could it not be arranged that people can pick up stickers early from The Plough (on a club night) or Canleys? And the people who can't make it get them posted at their request?

Some excellent ideas.

I think the problem with the RBRR is that of 'Time'! I just don't have any more time to do more. I have taken on a few more CT duties snce the last RBRR and although Jason has stepped up to do the Entry admin. There are so many other aspects of the RBRR that I have to do, also many there are many parts that I'd like to improve. Alan Chatterton had very willingly agreed to help out with all Charity liaision, however in  practice it could not work owing to geography issues with the RNLI office being in Uckfield and Alan being based in Redditch. I know alot of this type of work can be done via e-mail/phone, however I think its better to do it via meetings etc.

Anyrate enough of my time issues!

I think we will find the RNLI to be very good in supporting all the fund raisers. Heidi at the RNLI is very keen. I will e-mail her to ask her about wall posters etc. She has been very supportive already about James' idea for the RNLI tee-shirts.

Let me digest these ideas, have a chat with Heidi and James and get back to you all.

The posters that John would like will not be a problem though.

Car Stickers: Good idea about collection points, however not a particulary 'green' idea to drive 50 miles or so to collect- post would be better. The car stickers are one shot items, so car changes are an issue. As for paint problems, its not the stickers that cause issues, its the quality of paint on many cars. However vaseline can be used to aid the installation and help protect paint. I will publish some instructions about sticker installation in the revised RBRR Tips and advive notes that will be sent to all entrants in February.

10CR was from a different supplier - the RBRR08 ones were special - in fact a few came off on the run itself (not great, but the price you pay for saving people from ruining their paint) - I blame the relentless rain and dirty bodywork (and also if people used vaseline or something)

• 3 weeks later...

Took my 2006 RBRR stickers off the Acclaim last week - absolutely no problem at all, but it was probably because of the way I put them on in the first palce -I "floated" them on using lots of soapy water, so they were free from bubbles and could be moved around the panel unil I was happy with where they were.

• 5 months later...

I think the car stickers sent out early is a good idea to drum up some more money for the RNLI.
It is down to the individual if he wants to put the stickers on the car, my TR7 was fine with the sticker.
With the stickers displayed you do get a lot of people coming upto you, saying "What's that then" whilst pointing at the sticker. It does drum up interest and potentially more cash for RNLI.

Plus it is free advertising for CT, which is a good thing.

If there is a problem with sending the things out, i can send them out or help out if needed.
sexysi

Archived