The previous cheaper source of Vignettes, the mightly Ebay, is not quite so easy this time round. Ebay pull all listings for them within 24 hours usually, however they may be described.

Spoilsports!

So I tried a different tack, I watched for the listing to appear, then noted the seller and sent them a personal message (don't ask a question, that gets blocked)

Has proven fruitful, just over half price.

Cheers

Colin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobbyspit (rob) has informed me the ebay vignettes that show the serial number on the pic are being logged by the Swiss authorities and are issuing fines of 75 Euro if found using a pass with a logged number.

Like this one ( If it stays on ebay that is):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swiss-Switzerland-Motorway-Tax-Vignette-2011-/180695811555?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Package_Holidays_CV&hash=item2a124f45e3

Pays yer money and takes yer chance people  :-/

uksnatcher wrote:
Bobbyspit (rob) has informed me the ebay vignettes that show the serial number on the pic are being logged by the Swiss authorities and are issuing fines of 75 Euro if found using a pass with a logged number.

Like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swiss-Switzerland-Motorway-Tax-Vignette-2011-/180695811555?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Package_Holidays_CV&hash=item2a124f45e3

Pays yer money and takes yer chance people  :-/

Yep, happend to a mate on a bike forum, he bought his friom Ebay and got stopped. Hey presto stated they were not transferable, fined!

Still think they are good value compared French motorway tolls (although the SF is a bit beefy at present).  Not worth fooling about really.  My Swiss relatives are disgusted that they are not available "short-term" for visitors - apparently the same for the Swiss though - if they buy a car in November, they have to pay for a full year. (Run Jan to Dec regardless)

Nick

Nice of you to mention it AFTER I purchased a couple...  :-/

As mine didn't actually sell on Ebay, not sure. There is nothing to say i wasn't the person who purchased it (and didn't sell it) as it is unused.

Must assume it was logged I suppose as it did appear on a listing.

Does it require you to actually be stopped for them to check it? Or do the cameras read the number then they pull you?

We have been told that we are travelling through Switzerland on the motorways during the day.

So the assumption is that we do need one.

Cheers

Colin

Behind the scenes I had been talking to the Swiss Tourism Office within the Embassy about short term use of Swiss highways and the need for vignettes.It was in the hope that my request for a reduced rate would fall on sympathetic ears.
This was there response:
Dear Mr. Charlton We thank you for your request.  To make use of the Swiss Highways you will have to buy a road Vignette. There is no difference between using the highways for an hour of a year, a Vignette is obligatory. For the normal roads no Vignette is needed, so if you don't want to buy one you can decide to use the normal roads, but this will take of course much longer.  If we have not met your personal requirements or you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us on the following free phone number 00800 100 200 30. Best regards Elske Spanjerberg  ----------------------------------Switzerland Travel Centre AGBinzstrasse 38CH-8045 Zürich

Long live William Tell..

OK , so it was worth ringing and asking............even to no avail

I spoke to the Swiss highways department and asked if there was any possibility of concessions, discounts etc when paying for vignettes.
I explained we were a classic car club and would be passing through for only a few hours
I gave no indication as to who we are where we are going why or when, so they do not know who was asking....
The answer was "Even after the first one kilometre on a green indicated main highway, you have to pay the full amount"
The fee is 40SW Francs
Some may say that it was nt worth asking about it, as everyone has to pay
However had we not asked ,we would not know officially, that the fee had to be paid
So there we are members, the official answer pay the fee.....or.....

When Swiss tourists buy something from us I vote we charge them more and give change in currency that they can't use or exchange anywhere else.  

Last time I bought the Vignette at the border and was given change is Swiss Franks.  Such a small amount that no one will exchange it.  Even if I bring it this time I doubt it is enough to buy a pack of gum and I don't chew.  I also noted they had plenty of Euro change but would not give me any, yes I asked.

I hadn't read through this thread before I recently placed a bid on eBay for a Vignette.  Having read through the thread, I was then not too worried when I got out-bid at £19 - and eBay have just written to me to tell me that they have pulled the item listing - exactly as this thread indicated.  Having read the dire warnings about fines.....I'm going to just chin up and buy one.  Grumble grumble.

Archived