shiney ends - U/J problem

glang

Problem is that the yokes are worn enough to allow the cups to spin.  They may or may not also be be splayed enough to mean that they would also need thicker circlips or shims to prevent the endfloat that leads to driveshaft clonk.

The correct answer is new shafts.......

Alternate "truths"........

in theory it is possible to remove the UJ trunnion forging from the end of the shaft (knock out cross pin and press of the spline)  In practice..... they are REALLY well on there - and you'll have to get a replacement from somewhere that is worth the effort!  And even if you get two off (one undamaged) you've then got to get one back on there!

If still reasonably snug, one of the more serious Loctites might hold the cups.  You'd need to resolve any endfloat issues before it set......

Nick

Thanks Nick, what a wind up as the forces trying to rotate the cups must be minimal (unless the bearings have seized of course) but I suppose over time the loading and unloading of the drive shafts has opened up the yokes. I think first, in keeping with my moniker, I'll try giving them a gentle squeeze to close up the 'eyes' as they appear quite ductile and so shouldnt shatter.......

Quoted from Nick Jones-

Problem is that the yokes are worn enough to allow the cups to spin.  They may or may not also be be splayed enough to mean that they would also need thicker circlips or shims to prevent the endfloat that leads to driveshaft clonk.

The correct answer is new shafts.......

Alternate "truths"........

in theory it is possible to remove the UJ trunnion forging from the end of the shaft (knock out cross pin and press of the spline)  In practice..... they are REALLY well on there - and you'll have to get a replacement from somewhere that is worth the effort!  And even if you get two off (one undamaged) you've then got to get one back on there!

If still reasonably snug, one of the more serious Loctites might hold the cups.  You'd need to resolve any endfloat issues before it set......

Nick

I tried Araldite in the yokes once in an attempt to squeeze a few more miles out of worn shafts. I got about 2 miles down the road before it started knocking again... 

Quoted from glang-

Paddock do oversize circlips but I dont know how to use them. What happens if they dont fit, can you fit one to one side only?

Also Matthew do you think its the circlip spinning or the cup?

Only fit them on the ones that are spinning.  I got some from Paddocks before when I got new UJ's..but they didn't seem any thicker... :(  having measured them.....

Hmmm, circlip or cup...I just presumed it was the circlip?

• 1 month later...
Quoted from Richard B-

Tight wad trick is to put a shim between the circlip and the U/J. Coke tins used to be about 5 thou laughing

Shimming them is both easy and effective. I use a 1" circular punch, then snips to put a single cut from the circumference to the centre which helps a lot when wangling them into place.

On both of mine, which showed evidence of the cups spinning, I used Loctite Bearing Fit to secure them. Get everything absolutely clean, fit the cups and circlips which give no endfloat and make sure you are happy with the fit. Then run a good amount of Bearing Fit over the circlips. It's runny enough to soak into and under the circlips and bond it all together.

Mine were fine for five or six years without any spinning, and came apart okay when I renewed the UJs last summer. I've done the same with the new ones.

It may not be a proper engineering solution, but it works for me and I'm happy to use the car on rallies, 10CR, HCR etc.