What's the Diff?

smithy

Smiffy, just been tinkin to my self,   what box you got in, Spitty og GT ratios!!!!
if Spitty ratios, then you will have alot more poke in 123 gears.

so still say 3.27 it. ;) ;)
Marcus Saysgoforiticus ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm,  I got lower 1st and 2nd due to 5 speed.  Maybe I should bung a 3.27 in before the 10CR for really long legged cruising.......  :-/.  Then again, there does seem to be quite a bit of uphill involved - like nearly all the passes in the Alps!!

If you find 3.63 tall enough then the Subaru 3.54 will be just fine - but probably not tall enough for really relaxed 2.5 motoring.

Theres a Ford 3.08:1 I think, from diesel Sierra, but bit challenging to fit without MAJOR mods.

Nick

Boys, done, swapped, I put a 3.63 in it.
I got a good deal though.
My friendly supplier said if it ain't enough diff for me, give him a shout and he'll swap it for a 3.27 super quick.
I shall of course let you know. Sorry if you feel I've let you down Marcus Diff-erentious. I might yet change my mind!
Thanks for all the good advice.  ;)
Here's a picture of it before it fell of the jack on the way in, and I levered it with a straight bar and scratched it....
(Yes, I know it's not very spectacular and we've all seen one before. *shrug* )

Smiffy, think you be changeing it,   as all you done is put a Spitty diff, in  with a  2000 cc engine,
can no see the point,  Best give the bloke a ring nooooo ;) ;) ;) ;)

Yes they heavy, best with 2 folk really.

Spitty with 3.89=   17 in top    od is  21 mph x 1000 rpm and GT
                3.63 =  18 in top    od is  22 mph x 1000 rpm
gt             3.27 =  20                      25

so you aint going to see much difference.(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)

Marcus

Roy - I'm working on it being OK for a Royvoy, you better believe, as hard and fast as time money and Mrs Smithy will allow.
Staffords on the cards I hope. (Yeah yeah. I've been saying that for the last two years, I know....)...

Dicky - never fear, I've got it painted up already - I'm now officially a polisher!

Now now Marcus, give me a chance here. ("It ain't heavy, it's my diff")
I need to get the o/drive fixed to see what it's really like on the road.
I've won the first battle. It's clean, it doesn't whine, and it ain't leaking all over the floor like the 3.89 was.  :)

Speaking for myself, the memsahib HATES tents and caravans and stuff after a bad experience in Bognor in her teens. Consequently I shall be swanning in for a pose, then naffing off. I'm never allowed on camp with the other kids. :(
But then I'm desperately shy, so it's probably for the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard_B wrote:

Hmm, you'll have to take it out again and give it another coat of paint   :X

I missed this one Richard, and yes, I did touch it up!

Nick - you want this diff? I'm gonna go up to 3.27 I'm sure, so if Dave doesn't want it back in a swap or somesuch, you'll be welcome.
I'll be looking to swap it in about a months time I guess - it's not tall enough for me.

Markus Correcticus - put me in the "converted" camp.  :-/ :) :)

(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)

If thats tooooo low, then you can put your name doon for the 2.79 Im getting done, :) :)

A good bloke to admit he was wrong, (clap)(clap)
And a note to those that say it be too tall for road use. in a 2.0 l Spitty.    Dont nok it til you actually tried it.
As the 3.27 were actually put in factory spec Spits as standard , and that with only 75 GG,s

Marcus

796 wrote:

As the 3.27 were actually put in factory spec Spits as standard , and that with only 75 GG,s

Marcus

In the rare as cuckoo clock shite Swiss Spec 1500 made for barely a year with an uprated carrier al la automatic TR7.

Reality is, 100% of the 3.27 diffs available in the UK will be very old, tired and weak design original GT6 ones that serious users all seem to agree go BANG!  when stuck in a big butch Vitesse with a 2.5 donk.

Wolfie, "donk" eh?  ;D
I'll be very carefully sourcing and testing the 3.27 for quality IF I can get a half decent one, I promise.
And this ain't New Gospel or anything here, despite my being considered a Fully Developed Character now by Markus, I doubly promise.
It's just my opinion that for my sedate style of acceleration (no really) in my very light Spitfire Mk IV with the GT6 donk and gearbox, something taller's required at the back. It ain't gonna be for everyone that's for sure, as James said earlier in the thread.  
And of course if I swap it and I don't like it, or bust it, I'll be straight back whining.  :)

Here - I would have thought that if cuckoo clock shite was going to be common anywhere, it would be Switzerland. No?

Archived