Quaife ATB Helical Limited Slip Differential - How

jackri

Good afternoon, morning or goodnight - wherever you are.

I'm in the fortunate position of having a rather lively '69 Spit MkIII which has a 2.8ltr lump at the front. As you may expect, this translates to a lot of horses spinning up the rear end handsomely. Downside is that the clock, I am sure, is ticking with regard to the standard 3.63 diff.

So...

...I need to stick a stronger unit in & the Quaife ATB looks like the sensible choice ahead of a plate type. But, after consultation with Matt at Quaife, it seems that there are no 'methods of application' & it is down to the individual to get it right, or all to easily, wrong. I don't want to do the latter, so I look to my fellow compadres with such units at the back to see if there are any instructions out there in Triumph Internetland.

Your assistance & instruction is truly appreciated.

If you need any more info - please don't hesitate.

Thanks
Jack

2402 wrote:
Tim,

I'm sure someone told me Mike was not well and therefore not building gearbox or diff's until his health is better.

Chris.

He was ok  2 weeks ago when i went to his place and built up a new rear drive shaft.  I haven't heard any different but will do some digging.  He also had a LSD on his bench to fit in a 3.63 spitfire diff.

Quoted from another thread by Bodders.

Hi all

My gearbox is knackered - reverse gear has lost some teeth.
Just tried Mike Papworth only to find that he is taking some time off for health reasons.  Canley's cannot supply (because they get their boxes from Mike).

Can anyone recommend a good/trusted supplier for a Spit 1500-OD  gearbox?

I have a quaife on 3.63 also with a lot of grunt, build up is the same a building a stock diff, you will as routine need to fit new side bearings set the preload without the crownwheel fitted after that shim the mesh. Dead straight foward.

jcarruthers wrote:
Be aware you'll probably snap shafts with a standard Mk3 rear end.

Agreed - that's why it's a GT6 back end, but the next phase of development is getting some standard CV joint fitment made up. Not sure I want canley's units.

I am concerned about Gordon's comment on the crownwheel being the weak link...!

Any other experiences out there? as there are some beefier cars than mine out there.

Cheers
Jack

Gt6s wrote:
I have a quaife on 3.63 also with a lot of grunt, build up is the same a building a stock diff, you will as routine need to fit new side bearings set the preload without the crownwheel fitted after that shim the mesh. Dead straight foward.

Be intrigued to hear the intricacies of this process. Engines, not had issue with, but gearboxes is a dark art in my mind - so never even opened a diff

Thanks
jack

jackri wrote:

Be intrigued to hear the intricacies of this process. Engines, not had issue with, but gearboxes is a dark art in my mind - so never even opened a diff

Thanks
jack

Get your self a good workshop manual ignore the bit about needing a case spreader you dont, just slip the bearings and shims in at an angle (Trust me this works) the only special tools you need is a drop of engineers blue for shiming the mesh.

just slip the bearings and shims in at an angle (Trust me this works)

great Tinkerers think, an work  alike . ;)

But ill add to that, use of either a copper hammer,or a hard nylon one to nok bearing cups back.

796 wrote:

But ill add to that, use of either a copper hammer,or a hard nylon one to nok bearing cups back.

Granted Markus my weapon of choice is the end of the shaft of a 2lb hammer they do need a little nudge to spring the bearing into position.

Archived