MK3 GT6 O/D Switch

John Bonnett

I've come to the point where the gear lever mounted overdrive switch and I are going to part company. I have a new switch, top and gear lever harness but when I fitted the tunnel I had a heck of a job getting the connectors to make proper contact with the terminals on the switch and the plastic top would not stay clipped on. It is now held in place with insulating tape. I'm going to fit some new instruments and the speedometer cable will need replacing necessitating the tunnel coming out and of course disturbing the overdrive switch. Rather than go through all that performance again,  I'm seriously considering fitting a MK2 GT6 cowl mounted switch which will solve the problem once and for all.

Quoted from RedRooster
Agree they are a PITA, mines held on with large diameter heat shrink.
RR

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one Brad.

I'm really sorry we couldn't meet up while we were over in your neck of the woods. We had an absolutely great time. The hotel Moulin de Ducey was excellent and the highlight of the whole trip had to be Le Parc Floral de Haute Bretagne just near Fougeres. The gardens all 25 of them set in 50 acres were stunning and in our view vastly more impressive even than Monet's which we visited earlier in the week.

Hope to catch up before too long.

Generally, what causes the top to not sit properly is the wiring is too thick to go down the gear shaft freely, as it chafes the internal sides
If you change the cable to modern thin wall, it allows a free movement down the tube and then allows the overdrive cap to sit and click in properly
Done on ours and never had a problem

Quoted from Velocita Rosso
Generally, what causes the top to not sit properly is the wiring is too thick to go down the gear shaft freely, as it chafes the internal sides
If you change the cable to modern thin wall, it allows a free movement down the tube and then allows the overdrive cap to sit and click in properly
Done on ours and never had a problem

I do have the modern thinwall cable Mike but the hassle is attaching the connectors and then pushing the cable back down inside the gearstick. I know I'm hamfisted but it gives me trouble so the column switch seems a heaven sent solution.

Once you have got used to an ejector seat type OD switch I think you find it difficult changing to a column mounted one.  I agree with VR. This is how I fixed the same problem on mine.

Use some thin twin bell wire from B&Q. Mark each end so you know which wire is pos and which is neg. Solder the top connectors on, put some heat-shrink sleeving over the joints and squeeze up the connectors slightly so they grip well onto the switch terminals.  Then trial fit it down the gearstick and mark where it comes out the side hole. Remove it again and heatshrink the area where it goes through the hole to protect the wire. Re-fit the switch by pulling gently down on the wire and out the hole. Fit some connectors and plug into the harness.

As you only have additional bulk where the possible abrasion points are, the wire is still pretty thin and will move down inside the gearstick easily, letting the switch click into place and stay there. Mine's been done like this and has been fine for about 9 years now.

Quoted from John Bonnett

I'm not sure why I would need a light Roy. I think you always know when you are in or out of overdrive.

And when you're racing.  It's not for when you are IN overdrive,but reminding you that the switch is ON, so if you change from second to third, expect fourth.

And a wheel mounted switch connected by a curleywhirly cable is easier to fit than either gear knob or column.
See pic

JOhn

Quoted from JohnD

And when you're racing.  It's not for when you are IN overdrive,but reminding you that the switch is ON, so if you change from second to third, expect fourth.

And a wheel mounted switch connected by a curleywhirly cable is easier to fit than either gear knob or column.
See pic

JOhn

Thank you John. I agree a switch mounted on the wheel just where your thumb is would be ideal.

I disagree with VR's diagnosis. My GT6's gearknob cap won't stay down and it's nothing to do with the cable stress. It's a reproduction plastic cap that's simply too big to actually click in place. At the time, that was the only type available.

I also disagree about the "difficulty" of changing from gearknob to column type. I'm far more likely to instinctively go for the column in the GT6 than the gearknob in Tessa, and I drive the GT6 a LOT more often. The column is simply a better place for it.

The column switch was always a more reliable setup, the gearknob mounted switch was a cost reduction exercise allowing parts tould be commonised across the BL range.

I 've always preferred the column mounted switch, it's use feels far more natural. I also dislike electric shocks and smoke in the cabin, so it's a winner all ways,

Cheers,
Bill.

Jon,

I loathe the BL universal o'd switch so when fitting o'd to my mk2 GT6 switch (it was a non o'd car-with 3.27:1 diff)I fitted a BMC works type toggle switch/gear knob arrangement, bought from Brown and Gammons. These were fitted to the Triumph mk2 PI World cup rally cars, so it felt rational. Never looked back, easy to use in anger as well.

BMC works rally team fitted them to big Healeys and MGB/MGCs, so available from various tuning companies that sell product for those cars: Brown and Gammons, Denis Welch etc etc. Bit pricey. Originally made of nylon, now ali. Wrong thread, so I drilled and tapped. Wiring goes outside the lever, so one can use a solid gearlever, gets rid of the weak tubular item as well. Been on my car for over 20 years now.

Not fitted one to my Saloon, as the steering column switch is fine.

Quoted from timbancroft61
Jon,

I loathe the BL universal o'd switch so when fitting o'd to my mk2 GT6 switch (it was a non o'd car-with 3.27:1 diff)I fitted a BMC works type toggle switch/gear knob arrangement, bought from Brown and Gammons. These were fitted to the Triumph mk2 PI World cup rally cars, so it felt rational. Never looked back, easy to use in anger as well.

BMC works rally team fitted them to big Healeys and MGB/MGCs, so available from various tuning companies that sell product for those cars: Brown and Gammons, Denis Welch etc etc. Bit pricey. Originally made of nylon, now ali. Wrong thread, so I drilled and tapped. Wiring goes outside the lever, so one can use a solid gearlever, gets rid of the weak tubular item as well. Been on my car for over 20 years now.

Proper job Tim as they down here in Devon. I've just checked with B & G and here's the griff. There are three types of switch available the only difference being the screw thread. The one here in the picture is 7/16UNF part number STN1056. The chap in the stores was very helpful and said he could check the other threads if I wanted him to. Pricewise not much different from the MK2 GT6 column switch.

Other part numbers are STN 1051& 1052. Add a suffix B and you have one in black.

Quoted from timbancroft61
Jon,

Tim just a detail perhaps you can help me with. The cables from the switch attach with bullet connectors to the loom under the tunnel and i guess the cable comes up inside the gaiter in the carpet. So, to dismantle, how do you unscrew the knob without being able to disconnect the cable to allow it to turn with the knob. I'm sure this is a damn fool question so sorry if the answer is obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just fitted a MK2 GT6 column mounted overdrive switch to Jerry's MK3 and he is absolutely delighted with it. This replaces the button on the gear lever. Rimmers supply the switch and the cowl to suit and installation was very easy. Best of all the tunnel didn't need to be removed.

Quoted from Royboy66

I fitted it for when Americans drive it  lol !  

Quoted from Velocita Rosso

Is that when they change gear with their right hand...?

Hey hey now! 😉
At there is someone here to defend us Americans. 😎

My Toyota Corolla has a gear lever mounted switch and my Mazda 5 Van had steering wheel mounted controls. (I'd like to see you try and operate those with your left hand, hmmm? )

Sounds as if you have it figured out John, but if interested, there's a guy in California that makes wood shift knobs. Sometimes he has them on fleabay, but you could contact him through the forum.
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?5,1314132

Btw Roy, I take that as an invitation to drive your car when I get the chance to visit. I'll just have to bone up on driving on the wrong side of the road.(clap)

Quoted from byakk0

Hey hey now! 😉
At there is someone here to defend us Americans. 😎

My Toyota Corolla has a gear lever mounted switch and my Mazda 5 Van had steering wheel mounted controls. (I'd like to see you try and operate those with your left hand, hmmm? )

Sounds as if you have it figured out John, but if interested, there's a guy in California that makes wood shift knobs. Sometimes he has them on fleabay, but you could contact him through the forum.
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?5,1314132

Btw Roy, I take that as an invitation to drive your car when I get the chance to visit. I'll just have to bone up on driving on the wrong side of the road.(clap)

Thanks Hazen. I've pretty much decided on the MG competition gear lever mounted toggle switch. I'm using a 1500 column otherwise I would have done the same as Jerry and had finger tip control without the hand leaving the steering wheel.