Power steering that wont!

Radders

Since fitting power steering on my '71 saloon, it has never been quite right.

First of all I put it down to the fact that the rear mount was missing and that was causing the pump not fitting as it should and therefore the steering pump pulley and belt not being in line properly with the crankshaft pulley.

However, since fitting the rear bracket its worse! It now feels like it has no power steering at all. Is there a way to bleed the rack? Would air in the system cause this much of a problem? Or could it possibly be a worn pump???

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have the HCR at the weekend and need to get this sorted before then.  ( I dont want aching shoulders after driving through mid wales with no PAS like last year!  :()

Hello Radders,

"I dont want aching shoulders after driving through mid wales with no PAS like last year!  )"

I'm very surprised that you find the steering that strenuous? Certainly at walking speed or less it takes a little effort (although I have a 14" wheel) it certainly should be very light once on the move.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Radders,

"I dont want aching shoulders after driving through mid wales with no PAS like last year!  )"

I'm very surprised that you find the steering that strenuous? Certainly at walking speed or less it takes a little effort (although I have a 14" wheel) it certainly should be very light once on the move.

Alec

Should be, but it aint! Any ideas anyone????

Hi Radders

I would remove the belt and see if it actually makes a difference... Does the pump make a noise in full lock?

You could also loosen the belt so that it would slip, put the steering into full lock and see if the pump is actually working... the belt will squeal like buggery if the pump meets some resistance.

Not very scientific but worth a try. I cant imagine that anything is that seized on the strut tops, ball joints or rack to overcome the pumps effort if its working properly.

I don't have PAS on the MK1, but I do have a quick rack, which in theory should be harder work, I also have wide soft snow tyres fitted and its not hard work to turn even stationary.

Cheap fix, bin the PAS, fit a standard rack and loose all that extra weight... you'll be that much faster in a straight line!

Cheers

Darren

Top strut mount bearings seized ?

Do the struts rotate freely with the track rod end disconnected ? They should, if not pull the strut and strip and inspect the bearings - they are only sleeves with thrust washers top and bottom and can rust up - hence stiff steering

mike

Hi Radders, I was advised to spray wd40 into the top cup of the strut top mount, leave it to soak down the sleeve, once it's gone put some engine oil in the same bit, that way the wd40 free's things of and then the engine oil keeps it lubricated from then onwards.
The power steering pump should bleed it's self if you turn the steering from lock to lock a few times.
Hope you get it sorted, otherwise treat it as a free workout much better than going to the gym.
Floyd.

Thanks guys, I shall try all of these things tonight! At absolute worst the manual rack will be going back on (its lighter than the power steering at present!) so I can still compete in the HCR this weekend coming. Dave (my co-driver)  and I have been looking forward to this event too long for us to miss it just for heavy steering!  ;D

Had a look on another forum and there was mention of the "relief valve in the pump stuck open" with the suggested cure being fresh power steering fluid, although if my memory serves me well I think your supposed to use automatic transmission fluid.

FloydP wrote:
Had a look on another forum and there was mention of the "relief valve in the pump stuck open" with the suggested cure being fresh power steering fluid, although if my memory serves me well I think your supposed to use automatic transmission fluid.

Thanks Floyd. I have another pump and rack to try if need be. Isn't auto transmission  and power steering fluid more or less the same thing?

570 wrote:
Hi Radders

I would remove the belt and see if it actually makes a difference... Does the pump make a noise in full lock?

You could also loosen the belt so that it would slip, put the steering into full lock and see if the pump is actually working... the belt will squeal like buggery if the pump meets some resistance.

Cheers

Darren

Yes the pump does squeal when on full lock! What does this mean?

The strut top bearings are not seized and I've changed the pump. So far it hasn't appeared to have made any difference!

Anymore ideas??  Running out of time now as I have commitments for the next two nights!  :(

The pump is definitely working then and encountering resistance.

Did you change the hydraulic pipes with the pump? Just in case one was restricted or had been kinked? (I'm presuming it has pipes from the pump to the rack?)

It sounds as though the only thing left would be the rack itself.

Just a point, when you say it feels as though it has no power steering at all. Is that comparing it to a standard rack, or is it a real struggle to turn.

If the PAS was doing nothing you'd be hanging on the steering with both arms to get it to turn on a PAS rack.

I can only suggest changing the rack... for either a good pas rack or go back to standard.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Darren

sod it! its now near enough!

After following another suggestion of turning the wheel from side to side without the car jacked up, (and going for a test drive with lots of cornering) it seems to improve matters vastly!

Its still not as good as on my other two, but it'll do! (for now!)
Many thanks for all your help everyone.  :)

Try lock to lock with the engine running and the front off the ground on stands, if there is any problem then it is likely to be in the rack itself. Try flushing the rack out with a few changes in fluid. auto transmition fluid is used in the pump, and your ordinary ATF is the one to pop for from memory. There is also TQF which seems to go into american auto boxes frome what I can remember, but dont quote me on that lol.

b

thescrapman wrote:
Steve

You have remembered to change the manual steering arms to PAS ones haven't you?

Cheers

Colin

Yes I did mate. As you know from our conversation tonight its all bloody irellevent now as the wiring loom decided to burn itself out while driving home anyway!!!  :(

Archived