steering rack mountings rubber or solid?

mpbarrett

Drove to Stafford yesterday and found the steering a bit strange on the motorway with the car wandering and very sensitive to crosswinds, chating to Doug F he suggested the rack mounts might be short. When I got home and had a look he was right, there is about 5mm of movement of the rack in the bushes! Dont know how I or the MOT man missed it!

I am going to replace them asap, is there any thing against using the solid mounting rather than the rubber mounting?

cheers
mike

PS enjoyed Stafford, lots of nice shiny cars, really liked the fastback herald and Craig's lovely coupe!

some alloy mounts are not as thick as the rubber ones and hidding under the n/s rubber mount is the small nylon anti rattle plunger, fit a alloy mount and this drops out as it is now in fresh air,  fit a jubbilee clip to hold it down, or you can get rattle on rough ground and  can let water into the rack tube   Pete

timbancroft61 wrote:
How about fitting polyurethane ones. Chris Witor is your man, I have these on my big saloon, no issues.

Tim
went for the Poly ones from TRGB (only about 30 mins from me). Fitted them tonight but not very happy about the fit. The clamps seems to try to push the bushes out sideways and the gap between the edge of the clamp and the shoulder on the steering rack does not match the spec in the workshop manual. Begining to think that I might be beter with solid clamps. Anyway will take her to work tomorrow and see if its improved the steering, certainly much less movement of the rack when the wheel is turned!

cheers
mike
ps just checked the plugs and it looks like she is running far too rich, plugs not a nice straw more a black charcoal colour! Could explain the 28mpg when cruising and down to Stafford over the weekend. But still got 23 days to sort it out.... tune, oil change and fit new wheel cylinders and brake lever to do....!!

mpbarrett wrote:

Tim
went for the Poly ones from TRGB (only about 30 mins from me). Fitted them tonight but not very happy about the fit. The clamps seems to try to push the bushes out sideways and the gap between the edge of the clamp and the shoulder on the steering rack does not match the spec in the workshop manual. Begining to think that I might be beter with solid clamps. Anyway will take her to work tomorrow and see if its improved the steering, certainly much less movement of the rack when the wheel is turned!

cheers
mike
ps just checked the plugs and it looks like she is running far too rich, plugs not a nice straw more a black charcoal colour! Could explain the 28mpg when cruising and down to Stafford over the weekend. But still got 23 days to sort it out.... tune, oil change and fit new wheel cylinders and brake lever to do....!!

Hi Mike
Did you get the cowl? is it O.K.?

mpbarrett wrote:

Tim

I've noticed the same thing with my polybush ones....

Def' worth doing the steering is transformed! Car feels so much better and doesnt jump all over the place when it hits a bump! I hadnt realised how bad it was untill I fixed it....
just need to do the other jobs and then we will be ready!
cheers
mike

Archived