Steering wheel removal

barrymknight

I find it requires 3 hands. Two toe pull the wheel towards you (sitting in the drivers seat) and a third to give the steering column a whack with a big hammer, ideally copper, though I have been known to just use a lump hammer. leaving the nut on the column is a good idea too. If you damage the threads slightly, taking the nut off will clean them up. More importantly, stops you getting hit in the face by the wheel when it releases.

Barry,
If you find that you must hit the steering shaft with a hammer to shift the wheel; be very careful not to ruin the thread on the shaft as it is a very fine thread and easy to damage beyond straightening by removing the nut. I have scrapped an upper column section by this technique. Luckily I had a spare.
                                                              Best of luck,
                                                              Paul

Tony,
It worked for me too the most recent time I did this job, but there was that earlier time ... Hence the warning in my earlier post.
                                                                              Cheers,
                                                                              Paul

Archived