WIMPUS

4526 wrote:
And where is the best place to buy a steering wheel ( quality/price) ??  ;)

I just got a second-hand Mountney one off of eBay, came with the correct boss etc. £30 IIRC

A lot cheaper than buying new.

And agree with others comment on this thread, go leather nicer to hold than wood ones.

Bradley.

4992 wrote:

And agree with others comment on this thread, go leather nicer to hold than wood ones.

Bradley.

Different strokes for different folks. I've driven a fair number of Triumphs now and all have had different wheels and the one I prefer the most is the small well worn wooden one in my Herald. It's got no lacquer left and if you've got any dirt on your hands it sucks it up like a sponge. Leather ones never feel as secure to me, there's always some flex or movement.

rotoflex wrote:
WHAT DOES THE RED SWITCH DO WHAT DOES THE RED SWITCH DO

Ha,
well this is my much loved late GT6 Mk 3 that I sold 18M ago (same steering wheel).
The switch was for a kenlowe fan ( I later removed it)
Boy do I regret selling the GT.....

if you mean the little ally bit pictured under the wheel, that looks like the boss that locates on the splines. If you buy a new wheel most likely it will have it's own unique boss - look up mountney wheels on ebay or similar and you will see what I mean!

If by chance you do replace your wheel and find your old boss surplus to requirements, then I would be happy to do a deal with you as it looks like the one I need to fit a wheel I have here at home  :)

MikeyB wrote:
if you mean the little ally bit pictured under the wheel, that looks like the boss that locates on the splines. If you buy a new wheel most likely it will have it's own unique boss - look up mountney wheels on ebay or similar and you will see what I mean!

If by chance you do replace your wheel and find your old boss surplus to requirements, then I would be happy to do a deal with you as it looks like the one I need to fit a wheel I have here at home  :)

ok ! thanks for the info!  :P

so you need that ally bit ?  :)

I found the mountney wheel spokes a bit flimsy tbh you can flex them really easily, i have removed the same std triumph wheel as yours wimpus and will be fitting it back on as soon as i get fed up of the blingy momo.
The standard wheel spokes are solid and sturdy and just the right size.....expect to pay decent prices for a wheel you will compare with the standard one, try before you buy my best advise.

Heres my experimental Momo wheel with a 80's mini hub boss (TR7 hub will fit too):

Heres the Mountney that i found the spokes too flimsy:

uksnatcher wrote:
I found the mountney wheel spokes a bit flimsy tbh you can flex them really easily, i have removed the same std triumph wheel as yours wimpus and will be fitting it back on as soon as i get fed up of the blingy momo.
The standard wheel spokes are solid and sturdy and just the right size.....expect to pay decent prices for a wheel you will compare with the standard one, try before you buy my best advise.

Heres my experimental Momo wheel with a 80's mini hub boss (TR7 hub will fit too):

Heres the Mountney that i found the spokes too flimsy:

thanks for the info !

But i want to buy a moto-lita .. are there better ?

Wimpus,
Motalita are generally accepted as being much better quality that Mountney. Expect to pay more than double the price of a Mountney wheel though.
The spokes should not be bending- unless you have mile wide tyres fitted of course (or there is something dangerously amiss with your steering/suspension)

4526 wrote:

ok ! thanks for the info!  :P

so you need that ally bit ?  :)

I could find a home for it  :-)

looking at the wheel you pictured, the rim and spokes bolt to the centre hub. If you ebay motolita (or mountney) hub, you will see that both the wheel and hub can be purchased separately. I would think that all of a manufacturers range of different wheel styles would bolt onto their own hub. They supply different hubs to fit the column shaft splines on different makes of cars.

So to summarise, whatever you go for, you need a hub to specifically fit a Spitfire, but can choose any style of wheel (ie. wood, leather et.c) to bolt on that hub.

regards

Mike